Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals vs Phil McKrakens - 9pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Solid effort to close out the road trip. We need to get healthy fairly soon though, cannot count on Ovi winning the game for us every night.

They're a little bit green. They have the right reflexes defensively and they make smart plays, but none of them have a nose for the net yet. McMichael in particular looks like he hasn't figured out how to score at the NHL level yet.
I agree on the defense. Tonight, I thought McMichael especially struggled with the speed Seattle played with. It’s possible he was fatigued like everyone, but he looked like a rookie tonight. I’m hoping he can work on his skating, he’s not fleet of foot by any means.

Reactions: racingmoose

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I agree on the defense. Tonight, I thought McMichael especially struggled with the speed Seattle played with. It’s possible he was fatigued like everyone, but he looked like a rookie tonight. I’m hoping he can work on his skating, he’s not fleet of foot by any means.

McMichael desperately needs a bit more separation speed. Defenders get glued to him and there is nothing much he can do about it. Very smart player, though. Just has to work on those first couple of steps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought Cholo looked pretty good for a guy who had not played a game yet. Longterm healthy scratch duty seems like it would be harder to stay sharp during, as opposed to games in Hershey.

Cholo moves pretty well, seems to have confidences and composure

Remember Taylor Chorney? Being a regular healthy scratch is a job thats only right for a certain kind of person. Some get depressed or angry. Some lose focus. Some are not mentally prepared to go from life as a spare to being thrown into a high leverage game. A young guy isnt cut out for that but the Caps clearly want to keep him.

Reactions: troyerlaw

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I totally missed it. What happened to Sheary? I saw Cho in the game at the beginning and was stunned when I realized that Sheary was out. What the hell?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
VV gives up lots of juicy rebounds.

Ok. There is a new technique with equipment pioneered by Lundqvist on the rebounds that Vitek appears to be using. That said, the first 4 I saw him give up were 2 deflections, a cross ice two on one pass and a shot 15ft straight up the slot. I didnt see a rebound

Reactions: Corby78

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Passed out after the first. 5 pts on this road trip is impressive, especially considering losing Lars right as it started. They have the most GP in the division by anywhere between one and four games but they only have one more B2B until February so hopefully the schedule becomes more manageable for them as it becomes more compressed for everyone else.

The guys should feel good about themselves. Really impressive what they've done this season thus far.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Passed out after the first. 5 pts on this road trip is impressive, especially considering losing Lars right as it started. They have the most GP in the division by anywhere between one and four games but they only have one more B2B until February so hopefully the schedule becomes more manageable for them as it becomes more compressed for everyone else.

The guys should feel good about themselves. Really impressive what they've done this season thus far.

The problem with having games in hand is that the only way to catch up is with a compressed stretch of the schedule like what the Caps dealt with the play more games. 7 games in 11 days. The other teams will have their stretch.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Burn the tape and move on. Hopefully we start getting healthy and the injuries don't continue. I'm a little disappointed they brought TJ back if he wasn't 100% versus SJ. I hope that didn't set him back too much.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The problem with having games in hand is that the only way to catch up is with a compressed stretch of the schedule like what the Caps dealt with the play more games. 7 games in 11 days. The other teams will have their stretch.
The other problem with games in hand is you actually have to win them in order for them to matter.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

True but those other teams still have to win most of the games during those stretches to reach within striking distance. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like even if all those teams below Caps win all of their extra games they are still trailing Caps by 2-4 points. I really like where the team is now standings wise. Even through all the injuries they are still comfortably in the front, but not comfortable enough that they start sleeping.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
True but those other teams still have to win most of the games during those stretches to reach within striking distance. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like even if all those teams below Caps win all of their extra games they are still trailing Caps by 2-4 points. I really like where the team is now standings wise. Even through all the injuries they are still comfortably in the front, but not comfortable enough that they start sleeping.

Thats my point. When you have games in hand your team has been more rested in the games they already have played and face back to backs and 4 games in 6 night stretches where the make up games are harder to win. One game in hand can be money in the bank 3 or 4 is trouble.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The other problem with games in hand is you actually have to win them in order for them to matter.

a lot of people just assume a team will win those extra games and never consider that the make up games are back ends of back to backs against good teams.

The Caps having the point % they have after jamming all those games in gives them the upper hand

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Smoken Al was asked before the road trip how many points would be considered a successful trip with the double back to back and he said 5 points which I agreed with. I sort of looked at this game like lets see if we can steel another point if there is enough in the tank.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Thats my point. When you have games in hand your team has been more rested in the games they already have played and face back to backs and 4 games in 6 night stretches where the make up games are harder to win. One game in hand can be money in the bank 3 or 4 is trouble.
I think i misunderstood you and thought you meant that games in hand for other teams is an advantage. Thats my bad

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The TVR-as-winger experiment was a complete failure.

Understand the coaches were put in a tough position with Oshie and Sheary unexpectedly unavailable.

Cholowski didn't look good, but this wasn't really a fair indicator seeing as how the team was juggling personnel.

Need to get players back.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So Sheary got hurt pulling on his uni? Did he skate the warmup? Lavy said after the game it was something that came up "really late"

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Remember Taylor Chorney? Being a regular healthy scratch is a job thats only right for a certain kind of person. Some get depressed or angry. Some lose focus. Some are not mentally prepared to go from life as a spare to being thrown into a high leverage game. A young guy isnt cut out for that but the Caps clearly want to keep him.

Many of us prefer to forget about Chorney as a player.

Reactions: Hivemind

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Definitely not sweating last night's loss. it was their first(!) loss this season by more than one goal and considering the injuries and the compressed schedule lately, I refuse to dwell on it. Bring on Montreal...

Exactly. What they did on that road trip was remarkable. I can't imagine being Ovy's age and playing 5 games in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad