GDT: Washington Capitals @ Edmonton Oil Kings - 10/24/13 9:30 PM

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Good game. Green had a solid game. Johansson looked very good, was solid on the puck and was winning battles tonight. Holtby was unreal. Still giving up too many high quality chances but was much better tonight than the last few games.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
2points.jpg

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Gonna do my best NBTW impression with 3+, 3-

Plus:
1. Holtby - Awesome game tonight, and giving Perron a love tap to the nuts certainly helps. :laugh:
2. 60 Minute Effort - The Caps played cover to cover tonight, winning all three periods and looking good in doing so.
3. Neutral zone play - The best Washington has looked all season at preventing the other team from gaining the zone with speed. The 1-2-2 executed very well.

Minus:
1. Third pairing - Awful game from both Erskine and Oleksy. Too many blown coverages and too many turnovers.
2. Fourth line - Got really outworked and outplayed by Edmonton's fourth line in the first two periods. Stabilized some in the third, but still wasn't convincing.
3. Schmidt - Doesn't have much chemistry with Green, and he's making too many dumb mistakes.

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA
Is Erskine nursing a leg injury or something? I mean, he was never a great skater, but this season it's been downright atrocious - lot's of motion, very little movement.

PSUCapsFan

Jan 8, 2010
Irvine, CA
Is Erskine nursing a leg injury or something? I mean, he was never a great skater, but this season it's been downright atrocious - lot's of motion, very little movement.

Wonder if its the same one from last year. He played really well in the rs last year and was miserable in the playoffs.

His skating is absolute crap right now.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Good solid win. Good to see ovi's shot is back 100%.
Mojo is playing well. Keep remembering to shoot and sometimes he does backstroke like plays now which means he is definitely coming along.

I think the system is loose in our end. Not enough pressure and too many blind plays.

But good win. Holts deserved a SO.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Good win. One thing I'd like to see improve is their start. They always start sooo slow. Like their heads aren't into the game. Holtby has been amazing the last few games. I hope he can keep this up.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Johansson looked very good, was solid on the puck and was winning battles tonight.

I think Johansson has battled exceptionally well, for him anyway, for a few games now. It has been very nice to see and hopefully it is something that continues as that lack of compete has been the biggest issue with his game IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't disagree with you, but the fact that we're looking for the team to turn to Alexander Urbom for it's left defenseman issues is highly depressing.

caps win 3 in a row. 4 of 5. two nearly by shutout. resultant emotion......highly depessing.

typical.

color me happy. I enjoyed the game last night and was not left with the feeling of impending doom at all.

edit: just to be sure you know I am not being mindlessly happy, ive been saying waiver wire pickups and leftover ufa's are rarely the answer and should be counted on. ive been consistant in that regard. on the other hand Schmidt is a rookie. by definition they make bad decision based on lack of experience. particularly defensemen. Is this case, he is a players with enough skill and ability that he will into a good player when he gets 150 games. He shouldn't be on the 2nd pair, but for now it is what it is. what it isn't is depressing

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
+s

Marcus' board play, battle quotient and puck savvy
Holtby unflappable
Alzner-Carlson
Forwards more responsible defensively - coupla good backchecks from Nicky stood out, especially compared to his shoddy D play in previous games
Motivated Chimmer is an effective Chimmer

-s

Erskine Oleksy were beaten hard and often
Break-out of D zone during 1st 2 periods; looked better in 3rd possibly b/c less stranding of D by forwards once we got up by 3 and Oilers giving up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad