GDT: Washington Capitals @ Edmonton Oil Kings - 10/24/13 9:30 PM

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He's also been far more decisive with the puck. I've been more impressed with that than his work in traffic. I would still expect him to struggle/fold under more aggressive board pressure.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Ovechkin is a ppg+ player with, say Grabovski and Erat.
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Backstrom is a ppg player with, say Erat and Brouwer.
I do think it's a stretch to say that Johansson is a ppg player with, say Erat and Brouwer.

But these are all hypotheticals.

Great way to put it in perspective for those who lack the ability to see it...

He's still soft as hell IMO, but he's showing positive development still. I'd like to see SOME threat of goal scoring out of him.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
MoJo left practice early...

10-19-8
21-84-20

Maybe?

74-19-8 though could happen too, which I hope Ovechkin does this to Oates if it happens:

Last edited:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Top line looks great and my only comment about the next three is that Laich should never play Center.

However, I'd play any/all of Orlov, Urbom, Schmidt, and Carrick over Erskine or Oleksy (or Hillen) right now.
Am I the only person here who thinks Olesky has been a bright spot? I think he makes really good decisions with the puck and has been pretty reliable, along with having some offensive upside. I like Schmidt's game a lot and am on board with those who think he will be a player. He has struggled at times but we have mostly escaped unscathed. His experience alone could be like obtaining a 2LD by playoff time; this isn't a 19 year-old rookie we are talking about, as a college grad he's closer to being ready than a lot of other rookie d-men.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Not really understanding the complaints about Mojo. He's been a mainstay on the top line for awhile and all 3 of them are producing so.............. is it really a problem?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I like Schmidt's game a lot and am on board with those who think he will be a player. He has struggled at times but we have mostly escaped unscathed. His experience alone could be like obtaining a 2LD by playoff time; this isn't a 19 year-old rookie we are talking about, as a college grad he's closer to being ready than a lot of other rookie d-men.

I don't necessarily disagree but I think we need to remember it isn't like he played a full season in Hershey last season or something. Right now the guy has a total of 20 combined professional regular season and playoff games under his belt. Also a lot of first year pros coming out of college or from Europe hit a wall towards the end of their first pro North American season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not really understanding the complaints about Mojo. He's been a mainstay on the top line for awhile and all 3 of them are producing so.............. is it really a problem?

MaJo gets my vote for most improved so far. He really looks good. As someone mentioned, he's at the top of the league in assists and he's been in position to net 3 or 4 goals. I think the goals will come soon.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Am I the only person here who thinks Olesky has been a bright spot? I think he makes really good decisions with the puck and has been pretty reliable, along with having some offensive upside. I like Schmidt's game a lot and am on board with those who think he will be a player. He has struggled at times but we have mostly escaped unscathed. His experience alone could be like obtaining a 2LD by playoff time; this isn't a 19 year-old rookie we are talking about, as a college grad he's closer to being ready than a lot of other rookie d-men.

I think Oleksy's had a bit of an up and down season so far. Luckily, it's been more up than down, but last night was decidedly a down night. It's a toss up between him and Erskine as the worst player on the ice. And you can't just lump all the blame on Erskine, and Oleksy was making plenty of individual mistakes (turnovers, bad reads, poorly timed hits, missed hits).

I really like his game in the offensive zone. He might be our second best defenseman at holding the line. He makes quick decisions, and they're usually the correct one.

In the defensive zone, it's definitely a bit of a mixed bag. Speedy teams can give him trouble, especially if the trap isn't working well. He's good in front of the crease, but when you stretch the game from wall-to-wall, he can sometimes be too aggressive and get caught out of position. There's definitely been a lot to like from his game overall, but he's not perfect.

I'd certainly keep him in the line-up as a 3rd pairing guy. But I'd be hesitant to move him (or Carrick) up if Green or Carlson get hurt. Would prefer to call up Strachan or Kundratek at that point. Well, I'd really prefer to call up Orlov to be injury-replacement 2RD, but that won't happen.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think Oleksy's had a bit of an up and down season so far. Luckily, it's been more up than down, but last night was decidedly a down night. It's a toss up between him and Erskine as the worst player on the ice. And you can't just lump all the blame on Erskine, and Oleksy was making plenty of individual mistakes (turnovers, bad reads, poorly timed hits, missed hits).

I really like his game in the offensive zone. He might be our second best defenseman at holding the line. He makes quick decisions, and they're usually the correct one.

In the defensive zone, it's definitely a bit of a mixed bag. Speedy teams can give him trouble, especially if the trap isn't working well. He's good in front of the crease, but when you stretch the game from wall-to-wall, he can sometimes be too aggressive and get caught out of position. There's definitely been a lot to like from his game overall, but he's not perfect.

I'd certainly keep him in the line-up as a 3rd pairing guy. But I'd be hesitant to move him (or Carrick) up if Green or Carlson get hurt. Would prefer to call up Strachan or Kundratek at that point. Well, I'd really prefer to call up Orlov to be injury-replacement 2RD, but that won't happen.

You're speaking to the choir on Orlov. That's been a bit of a head scratcher to me. It's almost like the coaching staff convinced people to ignore the eye test and believe Orlov was full of warts last season. I saw a guy who was strong in one of our defensive areas of weakness; getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think that depends entirely on the scale of that comment. Are you saying that Backstrom is also a product of Ovechkin? He has the same 10 assists that Johansson does. Was Johansson's pass for Backstrom's layup last night a product of Ovechkin or the one touch pass for the Ward ppg the other night a product of Ovechkin?

How far do you want to take that?

Ovechkin is not scoring a goal per game without getting quality set ups. How much of Ovechkin is a product of Backstrom and/or Johansson?

We have seen Backstrom dominate games without Ovechkin. We have seen Ovechkin dominate games without anyone.

Have we ever seen MaJo dominate a game? Sure, he's 22 or whatever, but let's not make him out to be something he not. Until he creates points from a line without 8 and 19, he will be a facilitator at best....a passenger at worst.

Oates should split it up. But he won't.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Opportunity cost. But the benefit we get from his salary AND ability to complete a very effective top line is tremendous. It allows us to allocate that savings to Brooks Laich!

Or our 2.5m back up goalie (errrr, sorry, our 1b goalie)

Or our 2m 7th d-man (errr, sorry, our 2LD)

Or our 4.5m 4th line winger (errr, sorry, our get over the hump, deep playoff run vet winger)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
We have seen Backstrom dominate games without Ovechkin. We have seen Ovechkin dominate games without anyone.

Have we ever seen MaJo dominate a game? Sure, he's 22 or whatever, but let's not make him out to be something he not. Until he creates points from a line without 8 and 19, he will be a facilitator at best....a passenger at worst.

Oates should split it up. But he won't.

TBH, I also don't remember the last time Backstrom dominated a game, either. Sure he'll pick up like 3 assists every now and then, 2 of them on the PP, but that's not domination, is it..

I don't mind there being a passenger on the Ovi line; what's pretty crazy is that nobody else has really gotten an extended look.

But overall, I still think that Ovi-Backstrom pairing is the problem. At even strength, they are nowhere near dominant, and pretty much have never been. Ovi's production going from Zubrus to Backstrom has pretty much stayed at the same level, despite a much better overall team, offense, and PP. To me, that's completely insane. Our franchise 1C can't improve the even strength performance of a generational superstar??! I've pretty much accepted the Ovi/Backstrom pairing as an axiom by now, but that's the problem with the first line right there.. Maybe somebody is a better fit than MoJo, but I doubt there's any player that can help that 1st line reach another level.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Or our 2.5m back up goalie (errrr, sorry, our 1b goalie)

Or our 2m 7th d-man (errr, sorry, our 2LD)

Or our 4.5m 4th line winger (errr, sorry, our get over the hump, deep playoff run vet winger)

Watching Chimera-Grabovski-Ward put together a good game, I was thinking -- do we seriously have a 12.6 mil 3rd line in Erat-Laich-Brouwer?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
TBH, I also don't remember the last time Backstrom dominated a game, either. Sure he'll pick up like 3 assists every now and then, 2 of them on the PP, but that's not domination, is it..

I don't mind there being a passenger on the Ovi line; what's pretty crazy is that nobody else has really gotten an extended look.

But overall, I still think that Ovi-Backstrom pairing is the problem. At even strength, they are nowhere near dominant, and pretty much have never been. Ovi's production going from Zubrus to Backstrom has pretty much stayed at the same level, despite a much better overall team, offense, and PP. To me, that's completely insane. Our franchise 1C can't improve the even strength performance of a generational superstar??! I've pretty much accepted the Ovi/Backstrom pairing as an axiom by now, but that's the problem with the first line right there.. Maybe somebody is a better fit than MoJo, but I doubt there's any player that can help that 1st line reach another level.

Backstrom hasn't been the same player since the Bourque elbow. Before then, he was dominant at times. Not like Ovechkin, obviously....but still a terrific player.

Ovy can play with a lot of guys. I'd love to see Backstrom w Erat and Brouwer. See what that line can do?

Ovechkin can stay with MaJo, centered by Grabovski.

Chimera, Laich, and Ward to round it out.

Mix It Up

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Backstrom hasn't been the same player since the Bourque elbow. Before then, he was dominant at times. Not like Ovechkin, obviously....but still a terrific player.

Ovy can play with a lot of guys. I'd love to see Backstrom w Erat and Brouwer. See what that line can do?

Ovechkin can stay with MaJo, centered by Grabovski.

Chimera, Laich, and Ward to round it out.

Mix It Up

Meh, I think that's a bit of an excuse. He's fully recovered and in the best shape he's ever been in. I think he simply had the same long hangover all the young guns had.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Meh, I think that's a bit of an excuse. He's fully recovered and in the best shape he's ever been in. I think he simply had the same long hangover all the young guns had.

He's just regaining his strength, puck possession and goal scoring threat. I don't think it's a coincidence he lost all of that during a series of injuries.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I thought Ole was a very positive addition last year. His play was solid and he brought some much needed toughness. IMO, this season he looks more like a fringe NHLer. Not a bad 6/7 but I love Orlov and Schmidt. When you consider those two and Grn/Alz/Carl that leaves one spot. I like Urbom, Carrick, and Kund more than the three guys who got spots ahead of them (Ersk,Ole,Hillen). Just my $.02. It's a question of playing some older guys who have equal amounts of decent games and bad games versus living with young player mistakes from Dmen I believe can become very good. I'd rather roll with the younger guys...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad