Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals at New York Rangers Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So with all the high percentage shots that he takes, why is his scoring percentage so low?

Because sometimes that happens in hockey. I notice you ignored the statistical evidence that he does take a lot of higher percentage shots. Way more than low percentage ones.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Because sometimes that happens in hockey. I notice you ignored the statistical evidence that he does take a lot of higher percentage shots. Way more than low percentage ones.

No, I didn't ignore the evidence that was provided. You just want to believe that. Read my question again and you will see that I acknowledged it.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Because the hockey gods seem to hate him.

Frankly, last year people were more justified in complaining about Nash

I'll say it again; I'm not complaining about Nash (but I sucked into that vortex, lol). This entire discussion is based on a statement made by someone that "Nash has been our best skater for the past 4 games". I disagree with that statement. I think others have played better than Nash, one of them is Kreider, mistakes and all, at least he's doing things out there. And yeah, scoring a goal is a good thing.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'll say it again; I'm not complaining about Nash (but I sucked into that vortex, lol). This entire discussion is based on a statement made by someone that "Nash has been our best skater for the past 4 games". I disagree with that statement. I think others have played better than Nash, one of them is Kreider, mistakes and all, at least he's doing things out there. And yeah, scoring a goal is a good thing.

You must have an extremely warped definition of "doing things" if Kreider is doing them and Nash isn't.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No, I didn't ignore the evidence that was provided. You just want to believe that. Read my question again and you will see that I acknowledged it.

Forgive me if your question came off as sarcasm.

Either way... you have your answer. In hockey, sometimes that kind of thing happens. If Nash wasn't on the scoresheet in any way, I'd be right there with you. But he's finding ways to help the team on the scoresheet despite not being the goalscorer. His offensive output is exactly 50% higher compared to last year's playoffs. Last night he didn't get on the scoresheet, but he still looked very good for the majority of the game.

By the way, I'm a believer in redemption. Kreider might not have had a good game until he scored, but I don't really care about that. To me, he had a good game... because he scored a big goal.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
So with all the high percentage shots that he takes, why is his scoring percentage so low?

The shot map doesn't show the whole truth. Nash takes a lot of shots that never will get by a good goalie. It's part of his game to take a lot of shots, but in the PO it seems like he has a harder time to get himself into really good position and take the shot.

Nash does not contribute enough in the offensive zone, but he's not the worst underperfomer imo. Stepan&MSL are worse

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
The shot map doesn't show the whole truth. Nash takes a lot of shots that never will get by a good goalie. It's part of his game to take a lot of shots, but in the PO it seems like he has a harder time to get himself into really good position and take the shot.

Nash does not contribute enough in the offensive zone, but he's not the worst underperfomer imo. Stepan&MSL are worse

What doesn't the chart account for? I dont understand.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Mhm, just as poor as "all logical rebuttals are just excuses and I won't hear otherwise because excusez", on the exact same level.

Maybe you should come up with a nuanced argument about Girardi or some of the other players you needlessly trash. Because when you do nothing but make excuses for a player that isn't executing His job, it comes off as sad and petty.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Forgive me if your question came off as sarcasm.

Either way... you have your answer. In hockey, sometimes that kind of thing happens. If Nash wasn't on the scoresheet in any way, I'd be right there with you. But he's finding ways to help the team on the scoresheet despite not being the goalscorer. His offensive output is exactly 50% higher compared to last year's playoffs. Last night he didn't get on the scoresheet, but he still looked very good for the majority of the game.

By the way, I'm a believer in redemption. Kreider might not have had a good game until he scored, but I don't really care about that. To me, he had a good game... because he scored a big goal.

:cheers: It's all good, Brother Tawnos. :) Last night I don't think Nash was our best forward. That's been my only disagreement. Hopefully he lights up Holtby tomorrow, he's due! LGR!!

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
It was only a matter of time before the puck luck turned our way. We have been the better team for a majority of this series. How many times has a point shot been tipped just wide? How many times have there been 2-3 guys in front of the net, but the rebound goes to a Caps player? How many times has the puck rolled on a Ranger as he shoots it?

The Caps' style of play should take a toll after a while. If you think back to the Torts era, the Rangers were exhausted by the time they faced the Devils in the ECF. Defending a majority of the game and blocking shots is great for a couple rounds. However, you cannot rely on it to carry your team to the Stanley Cup. Hopefully, the Rangers can bring this back to NYC with a win on Sunday!!

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
What doesn't the chart account for? I dont understand.

I believe that the chart just shows the locations that the shots were taken from. It doesn't show backhand/forehand, velocity, whether it was on net or wide, or if it was blocked, etc.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
They won. Another goalie clinic coming up Sunday. If our offense wakes up we'll turn this series around, but that's a big if since Caps are playing well + have Holtby.

I think the more important thing is "stop making mistakes."

The Caps score when we screw up. Stop screwing up. Don't get so into offense that we make high risk/low reward plays. The Caps are playing a style that does not allow for a lot of offense. We have to accept that.

If we play a sound game, we'll have chances to win. If not, we lose.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Maybe you should come up with a nuanced argument about Girardi or some of the other players you needlessly trash. Because when you do nothing but make excuses for a player that isn't executing His job, it comes off as sad and petty.

Oh if Girardi was totally bad, you bet I'd rip him apart. Like I've done to Staal, MSL, and Kreider.

What don't you understand about the fact that I rip on players when I don't feel they are performing? I thought Nash was ballsacks in the 3rd period of last night. Yet, I think he's been good all playoffs.

I'm sorry that your way of analyzing a player is 100% true and accurate and I'm just being petty and sad defending Nash, really I am. Grant me the serenity to accept the fact that I'm always wrong and you're always right. Ty.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
You must have an extremely warped definition of "doing things" if Kreider is doing them and Nash isn't.

Maybe. I kinda like it when he disrupts the goaltender. I like it when he scores goals too. Want me to post a chart that shows how many playoff goals each guy has scored? ;)

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I believe that the chart just shows the locations that the shots were taken from. It doesn't show backhand/forehand, velocity, whether it was on net or wide, or if it was blocked, etc.

It shows hes taking a lot of shots and continuing to not score goals. Hes been better than last year, but thats not saying much at all.

He scored the 3rd most goals in the league this year. He was brought in almost exclusively to solve the Rangers offensive problems in the playoffs. To score goals in bunches. He simply hasn't done that -- its a results oriented business and thats the bottom line the last 3 playoff seasons.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Maybe. I kinda like it when he disrupts the goaltender. I like it when he scores goals too. Want me to post a chart that shows how many playoff goals each guy has scored? ;)

I like when Kreider does that too. He's so effective when he's locked into his game. I just don't think he has been consistently. Other than last night, honestly I thought he's been one of our best players this series.

I'm well aware of Kreider's ability to score goals in the post season so nty.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
It shows hes taking a lot of shots and continuing to not score goals. Hes been better than last year, but thats not saying much at all.

He scored the 3rd most goals in the league this year. He was brought in almost exclusively to solve the Rangers offensive problems in the playoffs. To score goals in bunches. He simply hasn't done that -- its a results oriented business and thats the bottom line the last 3 playoff seasons.

Agreed. Some guys are wired to thrive in the big games, some are wired to shrivel up. Unfortunately, Nash seems to be in the latter category. I wish it weren't that way, but the stats and the eyeballs confirm this.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Now we play one game at a time. Win a road game. Just win one game in Washington and then come out flying at home. We can do this.

Fast is just playing out of his mind. He's a young kid with a lot of heart and the type of player a team needs in the playoffs.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
I know this sounds insane but remember we beat the caps in a game 7 in wash 5-0 with henrik posting a shutout after having a crap offense all series.. yea would like to see a breakout game. That series hank went back to back shutouts in 6 & 7

I do think we are due for a blowout, we havent won one all playoffs long.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Is him scoring goals not an essential part of his performance?

Whatever, I don't even want to talk about this. We are awesome. Hank is a beast. Win game 6 and bring it back to MSG and beat these ****s.

I'll tell you why this is accurate and valuable to the Rangers...

Look at Ovi. What has he done in games 3, 4, and 5?

NOTHING...

I haven't seen any outstanding defensive play, I haven't seen any game breaking abilities. I see him trying the same "cut to the middle and shoot through the legs". He's easy to figure out.

Nash is actually playing like he can score in more than one way. He had some glorious chances tonight, especially the one where we wheeled the puck around the net and nearly sniped it in the corner.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Don't care if its a 1-0 game we just need to win it. You win as a team you lose as a team. Now is not the time for trashing individual Play. Time to come together boys (and girls)!!!! One shift at a time one period at a time one game at a time. We can do this! Lets go Rangers!!!!

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
I thought we got a gift from the ref on the joel ward goal waived off.

Perhaps that was an even up call on the non call on boyle that cost us game 1,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad