OT: Was Today the Darkest Day in Sharks History?

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I mean we had Brown resigning to a not very good deal at all (probably the least bad), Remenda leaving, and a story about how the Sharks might not stay in SJ. If you can think of a darker day (I might nominate after Game 7 this year) bring it up.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think this board will look for any reason to be depressed. It seems like that's something we are good at. Considering what happened in the playoffs, maybe it's deserved, but the attitude right now is just so surreal.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
There's no way today is as bad as Game 7

However, I do feel like somebody peed in my pinkeye

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We kept Stalock, overpaid a 13th forward, and lost a color commentator. I don't think it's all that bad. Them signing Michal Handzus was worse than today and even that wasn't THAT bad. Game 7 was the darkest day to me.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
When DW burns the Marleau/Thornton bridge and ups the hostility to cancerous levels then that will be the darkest day in Sharks history.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
We kept Stalock, overpaid a 13th forward, and lost a color commentator. I don't think it's all that bad. Them signing Michal Handzus was worse than today and even that wasn't THAT bad. Game 7 was the darkest day to me.

Just wait until the big changes come to fruition(if they do) this place will be hell for mods.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Did the Sharks go bankrupt and fold? Jeez get a grip.

I mean I'm expecting worse news but it doesn't mean I'm not unhappy even when I expect it. Now that I think about it Game 7 was certainly worse than today but I forgot because I suppressed deep in my subconscious.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
i'll go against the grain and say yes, so far. There may be worse ones coming yet, but today feels personally like the beginning of the end of my time as a fan of the Sharks.

As a fan, I understand the player movement. I understand that a team may need to make moves for a variety of reasons that affect the on ice product and that there is a certain amount of results-based reality that forces considering moving certain players.

But the booting of Remenda was 100% unnecessary and feels very personal as a fan. It feels if the team is deliberately targeting me, as someone who enjoyed what Drew brought to my experience as a fan. I always looked forward to the Randy and Drew interplay during games regardless of what was going on and what the team was facing.

That would have helped in the upcoming season, if there was to be a painful roster makeover. A little teal-colored commentary -- and by that I don't necessarily mean homerism, I mean commentary by someone steeped in the history of the Sharks -- would be welcome during these dark times.

And the team has decided that they don't even care about that. It's like the entire foundational value system of the team has been thrown out.

**** that.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
So Drew Remenda was the breaking point of your fandom? Its a ****ing business, don't you remember Drew walking out on the Sharks for more money at CBC? He had a good run but his contract was up and they chose not to re-up or couldn't agree to terms.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I just mean who knows what happens now?

This is the unsurest of the future I have been in my time as a Sharks fan

The playoffs left me with ZERO optimism about this team; why just set myself up for disappointment?

I'm ready for change, and the writing is on the wall

But if DW makes 1 too many wrong moves, we could literally be looking at the end of the Sharks, and I don't know how I'd handle that, or if I could

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
The worst day has yet to come. Today wasn't too bad. It sparked a lot of debate and discussion. I remember when Owen Nolan was traded. That was worse than today. This years game 7 was my personal low point.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
Someone please do some photoshopping of DW as Palpatine destroying the senate building and trying to melt Yoda (also photoshopped as a little Marleau hoping around).

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
So Drew Remenda was the breaking point of your fandom? Its a ****ing business, don't you remember Drew walking out on the Sharks for more money at CBC? He had a good run but his contract was up and they chose not to re-up or couldn't agree to terms.

As a fan who really valued the broadcast experience (I am out of market so that's all I get), the loss of Drew will have a more tangible effect on my fan experience than the loss of most any player. The previous situation was different, this time at least according to what has been said he's simply being pushed out for no discernible reason other than to make change for change's sake. That flat out sucks, and is not something you do during a year like this.

That said, no Drew's departure is not the breaking point per se but it's an unexpected hit I didn't expect to take, and to me it all but confirms the team is about to make some really, really bad moves that I absolutely do not agree with.

So Drew leaving sort of sets the stage for me, it removes a lot of excitement I had for the product even before any of the inevitable terrible personnel moves are made.

I'll stick around if DW comes to his senses and bolsters this team in a smart fashion rather than self-inflicting a fatal wound by trading Thornton or Marleau. But if either of those go, that's it, I'm done.

There'd really be nothing left here for me. I never liked the fact that many recent Cup winners won because of the circumstances of the league changing, which gave their youngsters Cup wins well before they paid enough dues. I see Remenda, Thornton and Marleau as having paid bigtime dues with this franchise. Sending them packing will make any future win hollow for me, and so there's no reason to remain a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad