Was the Lucic - Neal trade actually a win for the Flames?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We know the narrative to start the year when Neal was on fire, but that was obviously early season shenanigans we see with a lot of players around the NHL.

Since November 1, Neal has 8 goals and 16 points in 36 games, Lucic has 6 goals and 13 points in 40 games. Neal is playing almost 3 minutes a games more than Lucic in that time. Half of that being extra time being PP time with McDavid and Drai.

Lucic brings much more to the table than Neal as well. He hits, fights, plays hard. Neal is basically there to score points and is pacing with Lucic.

Can we now say this trade is not as lopsided as originally framed?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If Lucic puts up 30 from the bottom six, I'd say it's a win for Calgary, unless Neal goes on another big run. Not sure what happened to Lucic's confidence in Edmonton, but he's been slowly gaining it back through the season.

Lucic at 40 points and leading the team in hits and fights is fair value at 5 million. At 30 points he ceases to be in that category of horrendous contracts and is a moderate cap anchor.

It's also only a matter of time before Edmonton slots a more dynamic winger into that #1 PP position.

I honestly did not like the trade when it was made. Lucic is really growing on me though.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Accidentally hit ad lost my whole post...

Tldr let's wait the year out and see. You just gave stats of Neal being higher in less games. Let's see what he does and let's see if Lucic continues his ES scoring

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No

Don't underestimate the value Neal brought to the Oilers to start the season. Remember Oilers had missed playoffs multiple times, fans were upset/losing hope even in a team with McDavid/Drai, with no real positive outlook in sight, since the lack of depth hadn't been addressed and most expected another crap season.

I'm not saying Neal single-handedly changed this - but he played a big role in their strong start this season. And a strong start is exactly what they needed, and they haven't looked back since as a team. They've been in a playoff spot from the start, and continue to be so.

Also - Neal is pacing for 30+ goals. That's pretty good.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
"If we remove Neal's best stretch of the season and focus on Lucic's, the trade starts to look close."
LOL! If you compare Lucic's best stretch to Neal's worst, Neal only outscored him by about 50%. And when you consider the truculence that Lucic offers, like how noticeable he was during that 8-3 rout a couple weeks ago, the trade is totally looking like a win for Calgary.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Insert deadhorse gif

We both got what we wanted. Just freaking let it go.

FWIW you can't really decide who won the trade until we've seen AT LEAST a complete season or two.

Reactions: GOilers88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad