Was the Lucic - Neal trade actually a win for the Flames?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Frankly, the ability to buy out the deal at any time they need the cap space makes this a win for the Oilers regardless of what the two players do on the ice. What makes the trade a win for Calgary is up to them.

I find it funny when this is brought up. As if buying out a player means you win a deal? Doesn't that mean Calgary wins if you are buying out your player because of garbage play??

What I would argue that gives Edmonton the slight edge is Calgary forcing to protect Lucic during the expansion draft. That for me is the worst part. But, the consolation prize (I guess, if I am grasping for straws) is that Neal + Lucic retention is 1.25m more than Lucic per year.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Insert deadhorse gif

We both got what we wanted. Just freaking let it go.

FWIW you can't really decide who won the trade until we've seen AT LEAST a complete season or two.
I seem to remember nearly every flames fan shredding Lucic before his 2 game 'streak."guess it depends on what the narrative is

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I seem to remember nearly every flames fan shredding Lucic before his 2 game 'streak."guess it depends on what the narrative is

That's because he didn't show up against his former team. Though, right after that he has played sooo much better, and has also had a couple of fights. We were mainly disappointed that he didn't show up in a very important game.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Frankly, the ability to buy out the deal at any time they need the cap space makes this a win for the Oilers regardless of what the two players do on the ice. What makes the trade a win for Calgary is up to them.

A buyout really doesn't save all that much. It's about 2 million in cap for six years plus the $750k they retained on Lucic, plus the cost of a replacement player. How is that any better than Lucic at $5.25 for three years?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I find it funny when this is brought up. As if buying out a player means you win a deal? Doesn't that mean Calgary wins if you are buying out your player because of garbage play??

What I would argue that gives Edmonton the slight edge is Calgary forcing to protect Lucic during the expansion draft. That for me is the worst part. But, the consolation prize (I guess, if I am grasping for straws) is that Neal + Lucic retention is 1.25m more than Lucic per year.

The option still exists for Lucic to waive his clause, and given his anchor contract and how much of a team guy he is, I still find this more likely than him digging his heels in.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The option still exists for Lucic to waive his clause, and given his anchor contract and how much of a team guy he is, I still find this more likely than him digging his heels in.

That's true, but I am also going worst case scenario. Something tells me the Flames are going to rather give a pick (2nd or 3rd depending on the prospect) and a prospect to try and have Seattle pick someone we don't care about. Also hoping they pick hometown boy Ryan like Vegas did with Engelland.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
A buyout really doesn't save all that much. It's about 2 million in cap for six years plus the $750k they retained on Lucic, plus the cost of a replacement player. How is that any better than Lucic at $5.25 for three years?

wE CaN bUy HiM oUt

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Can we all just agree we both lost the trade and get on with it.

I love the cherry picking of statistics in this thread. If we take away Player A’s goals then player B looks much better. I wish real life was like that sometimes.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think it is turning into what everyone thought it would eventually. Neal has cooled down and sucks 5v5 and Lucic is an overpaid 4th liner.

Reactions: Nightrain

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Neal won't crack 20. I said it at the start. Feel free to quote me.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yes the trade worked out for the flames but it's still a win for the Oilers as well trades dont always have a loser

Actually no, both teams are losers in this until they rid of the dead weight. It just so happens that the Oilers lost a little bit less. Sorry but Lucic waking up out of hibernation for a few games after being a passenger in a heated BoA doesn't make it a win for the Flames. At this rate, they might not even get the 3rd round pick either.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Actually no, both teams are losers in this until they rid of the dead weight. It just so happens that the Oilers lost a little bit less.
Twas trash for trash. Neal of course was the player who had bounce-back potential.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Don't try to a spin an asteroid hitting your city as a good thing, it wont work.

The point was that even 1.5 months ago the narrative was that the Oilers were massive winners. I am trying to point out that outside of some early season luck, really they traded players who produce equally, but at least the Flames have a guy who contributes outside of his scoring.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The point was that even 1.5 months ago the narrative was that the Oilers were massive winners. I am trying to point out that outside of some early season luck, really they traded players who produce equally, but at least the Flames have a guy who contributes outside of his scoring.

They produce equally? All you have to do is look at a stat sheet to see that's not true.
What does Lucic do when he's not scoring? Shoot death stares at the opposition while his teammates do all the fighting? PIMs? Dye his hair?

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

Apparently Neal having double the amount of points per game is producing equally. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->