Was the Lucic - Neal trade actually a win for the Flames?

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Still a trash for trash trade. Although one piece of trash is slightly less pungent as the other. Don't worry, it'll get there though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You guys keep carrying on like having an abnormal hot streak in October makes a difference in how you're playing now? It don't mean squat. All it does is make your scoring stats look better than they should.
Good luck with Neal in March and April... If he plays.
As a matter of fact, the best thing that can happen to the Oilers is that he can't play. The sad fact is that a LTIR Neal will make the Oilers a better team. Addition by subtraction.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Flames fans:
You guys keep carrying on like having an abnormal hot streak in October makes a difference in how you're playing now? It don't mean squat. All it does is make your scoring stats look better than they should.
Good luck with Neal in March and April... If he plays.
As a matter of fact, the best thing that can happen to the Oilers is that he can't play. The sad fact is that a LTIR Neal will make the Oilers a better team. Addition by subtraction.

Also Flames fans: "Lucic has been great recently" while ignoring that Lucic has 3 points in his last 24 games without his "abnormal hot streak" of 5 points in 2 games.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames fans:

Also Flames fans: "Lucic has been great recently" while ignoring that Lucic has 3 points in his last 24 games without his "abnormal hot streak" of 5 points in 2 games.
Yes... he has been great recently... right when the Flames needed that to happen. The thing is... most Flames fans aren't delusional about Lucic. At $5.25m he has terrible value... $2.25m is more like it. At his current cost he's total garbage. But last year Neal wasn't even worth league minimum. It was a lose lose trade for both sides.
I'm glad he had a great October and helped you win some games which has helped a ton with regards to your placement in the standings (I also hope he comes back before season end and scores 2 more goals)... but since October he's been pretty, to put it kindly, meh. In November, December, and January he certainly isn't even close to the $6.5M you're paying him... so don't act like he is.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
A monkey on skates would have a few goals playing on a power play with McDavid and Drai.

Neal is terrible. Lucic is less terrible.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Lucic will never surpass Neal’s ability to score goals. But the good thing is, Lucic does just abolish everything else better. Neal not scoring last season for the Flames was not helpful, but the Flames could score last season.

It was Neal’s laziness, lackluster defensive play and turnovers that drove me crazy. He’d kill a lot of offensive zone cycles and plays on top of everything. Lucic on the other hand is excellent in his own zone, excellent along the boards and can hold on to the puck to let plays develop. I’ve been very impressed with his hockey iq and the chemistry he’s had with Derek Ryan.

So ultimately, you can say I’m a fan of his for sure. Still hate his contract, but overall happy with his impact outside of the counting stats.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
The Flames had Neal playing in their bottom-six, a role he was terribly suited for. He definitely didn't want to be playing there, either.

The Oilers were trying to play Lucic with McDavid and it was a horrible fit.

The Flames traded for Lucic and put him with a small defensive centre in Ryan and a small, fast winger in Dube. His role on that line is to clear space, win board battles, and make good passes when he gets the puck. He's performing very well in that role and is on pace to easily surpass his production (and Neal's production) from last season. It's a better fit.

The Oilers traded for Neal and put him in a prime scoring opportunity next to McDavid and on the top powerplay unit. They've treated him like a first-liner and given him one job: to put the puck in the net when it gets on his stick. He's done that job pretty well -- certainly with more success than Lucic did the last couple years. He has represented a sizable upgrade in that department.

Neither guy is paid a fair salary for what they provide. On the open market, they both probably get around $2 million and a one-year term. But for what they are, and for what they're paid, both teams now have the right player. They both had the wrong player before. But with Lucic, the Flames get a guy who can clear space for their smaller, speed/skill forwards, while with Neal, the Oilers add a guy with good finishing ability who can help McDavid in the offensive zone. McDavid doesn't need a guy to clear space for him along the boards -- he's too fast for that to even be an issue, really. He just needs a guy who can get the puck on net effectively.

Win-win.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Lucic excellent in his own zone. Now I've heard it all! Next we're going to be told what a great skater and deterrent of attempted murder he is.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Lucic excellent in his own zone. Now I've heard it all! Next we're going to be told what a great skater and deterrent of attempted murder he is.

Funny enough, I would call Looch's straight-line speed more than adequate!

Anyway Lucic is far more proficient in his own zone than Neal. But that's not really part of his role, those duties belong more to Ryan and Dube. But Lucic has an excellent first pass and is good on breakouts. And he's very effective once he gets into the offensive zone. Very consistent passer, he rarely misses.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
We know the narrative to start the year when Neal was on fire, but that was obviously early season shenanigans we see with a lot of players around the NHL.

Since November 1, Neal has 8 goals and 16 points in 36 games, Lucic has 6 goals and 13 points in 40 games. Neal is playing almost 3 minutes a games more than Lucic in that time. Half of that being extra time being PP time with McDavid and Drai.

Lucic brings much more to the table than Neal as well. He hits, fights, plays hard. Neal is basically there to score points and is pacing with Lucic.

Can we now say this trade is not as lopsided as originally framed?

If it makes you happy and you believe it lol lucic lolololol

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
If you trade for Lucic you got a problem, I don't care if he was for free with Happy meal ! I really liked him on line with Horton and Krejci, but that Lucic died like 5 years ago ...

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
The oilers desperately needed a guy with a knack for scoring. All their other best guys were seen as playmakers first and foremost. Really didn't have the finisher. Especially important on the PP.

No one is pretending James Neal is a well rounded player, but he's got a skillset the Oilers badly needed. Plus lucic was useless at everything as an oiler. Sure he hit and was ok in his own zone, but the play died on his stick every time he touched the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad