Was Malkin tanking it?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Malkin had his first experience of playoff hockey he had 4 assists. Not bad in 5 games, but of course not good. Now a lot factored into that. First off the Sens did not want to lose to a team that can barely shave yet because if they did you can bet that the likes of Bryan Murray, Alfredsson and maybe even Emery would have been changed up. Keep in mind although Crosby played well he still had just one more point than Malkin. Crosby played better but still keep in mind some of the greatest to ever play the game didnt fare great in their 1st playoff appearance.

Gretzky had 3 points in 3 games. Messier had 3 points in three games. Sakic scored 105 points in '93 but only had 6 points in 6 games in his first playoffs. Lafleur had 5 points in 6 games. Lafontaine had 9 points in 16 games. Richard.........oh bad example. So anyone that thinks this is a problem needs to relax. Besides Malkin did very well in the WJC and when push came to shove in the big games he collapsed so let's just see if all of his points will even matter first in this tournament.

Oh and as for Kovalchuk I like what he did to Avery. Atlanta shouldnt have been swept and he can share some blame but not all of it. I too thought back in 2001 that Atlanta was making a huge mistake drafting Kovalchuk ahead of Spezza. I thought the same thing that Spezza would make the players around him better. I also said that last year when Crosby was being shelved over Ovechkin. It's funny how sometimes even the NHL Draft can get caught up in the heat of the moment( remember when Legwand was considered to be possibly #1 overall over Vinny in '98? Yikes!)

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Whoever has seen Malkin play in the PO for Pittsburgh and now for Russia - his game is night and day. He is one of the leaders of the team Russia, some of his plays are just sick. He was a different player 2 weeks ago. Anybody else think that he didn't really want to delay his departure for the Worlds?

A rookie getting 4pts in 5 games is not normally referred to as tanking it. Not great by any means, but a pretty good showing for a first NHL playoff appearance.

CCCP

Nov 17, 2005
i16.photobucket.com
#1 Pens played arguably the best team going in the playoffs

#2 Pens didn't get swept

#3 Crosby scored 3 goals and 6 pts in his first 5 games and was the best player on the team every night (if not on both teams some nights)

#4 Crosby was checked by the best shutdown combo in the playoffs (Phillips/Volchenkov) who did the very same thing to Elias and his line.

#5 He is still a FREAKIN' teenager and not 24 lol (are you even suggesting Kovalchuk is in his league? lol Helo! 120 pts to 76 lol This guy is not even in the same park now guys @ or around his age age now i.e. Spezza taken #2 after him, Lecavalier, Heatley etc etc. I heard in 2001 a scout say in about 5 years when they are 25, Spezza would be the superior player and the one to build around. Boy was that guy smart scout!

#6 Malkin had 4 pts in 5 games and was shutdown as well but he is still only 20.

#7 I will forgive and forget if Kovalchuk contracted a Hossatitis however :D
No kidding, really? Why don't u put either of those 3 players on the same line with let's say sim and mellanby, and put kovalchuk on the line with alfie, st.louis, heater. R u sure any of those players u've just mentioned will get anywhere near to their last season's totals?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Well, looking at how much fun Malkin is having out there I can conclude one thing - Malkin preferred to be playing for Russia in Moscow than for Pens in the playoffs.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Um, lets not get overboard with the homerism yeah? Cros/Malkin and Kovalchuk all have the same amount of playoff experience. Both Atlanta and Pittsburgh didn't play well in their respective first round series.
i agree that calling kovalchuk a choker is a little premature, but the pens and thrash performance were not comparable at all. atlanta put forward a joke of a performance against a far worse team.

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
#1 Pens played arguably the best team going in the playoffs

#2 Pens didn't get swept

#3 Crosby scored 3 goals and 6 pts in his first 5 games and was the best player on the team every night (if not on both teams some nights)

#4 Crosby was checked by the best shutdown combo in the playoffs (Phillips/Volchenkov) who did the very same thing to Elias and his line.

#5 He is still a FREAKIN' teenager and not 24 lol (are you even suggesting Kovalchuk is in his league? lol Helo! 120 pts to 76 lol This guy is not even in the same park now guys @ or around his age age now i.e. Spezza taken #2 after him, Lecavalier, Heatley etc etc. I heard in 2001 a scout say in about 5 years when they are 25, Spezza would be the superior player and the one to build around. Boy was that guy smart scout!

#6 Malkin had 4 pts in 5 games and was shutdown as well but he is still only 20.

#7 I will forgive and forget if Kovalchuk contracted a Hossatitis however :D

Yadda yadda yadda.

Re-read what I said. I wasn't comparing individual players like Crosby vs Kovalchuk. Everyone with half a brain knows that Cros > Kovy individually. I was talking about team performances. Yes, the Pens lasted 5 games while Atlanta got swept. Whoopie-freakin-doo. It doesn't hide the fact that both Pittsburgh and Atlanta were overwhelmed in their first playoff series in half a decade. Penguins didn't have the defense and tenacity to match the Sens; Atlanta likewise plus there were some questionable decision-makings with their goalies.

I am saying it's stupid to call Kovy a playoff choker when he and Crosby were both playoff rookies. It's a learning curve and they are both young. Comments like this make the rest of us Pens fans look bad.

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
i agree that calling kovalchuk a choker is a little premature, but the pens and thrash performance were not comparable at all. atlanta put forward a joke of a performance against a far worse team.

Atlanta did worse against the Rangers than we did against the Sens. I won't argue with that. My point is that the poster pengu was being hypocritical ripping on Kovy and the Thrashers when it was the first playoffs for both of them, and both the Pens and Thrashs were evidently overwhelmed. It's like the guy who finishes second-last in a race making fun of the guy who comes in last.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Atlanta did worse against the Rangers than we did against the Sens. I won't argue with that. My point is that the poster pengu was being hypocritical ripping on Kovy and the Thrashers when it was the first playoffs for both of them, and both the Pens and Thrashs were evidently overwhelmed. It's like the guy who finishes second-last in a race making fun of the guy who comes in last.
i agree with you there. both teams still have a lot to learn.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Whoever has seen Malkin play in the PO for Pittsburgh and now for Russia - his game is night and day. He is one of the leaders of the team Russia, some of his plays are just sick. He was a different player 2 weeks ago. Anybody else think that he didn't really want to delay his departure for the Worlds?

No I think he is soft and cant handle playoff hockey. NHL playoff hockey is way more intense then the world championships. Love his now second calling on the bench. Alot of class from a guy that folds when his team really needs him. Atleast this year in the playoffs.

On a side note whoever said Crosby didnt show up in the PO's is way off he was a threat every time he was on the ice.

Last edited:

CCCP

Nov 17, 2005
i16.photobucket.com
I would not say ATL did worse. They've got swept, but 3 out of 4 games could've gone either way.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
No I think he is soft and cant handle playoff hockey. NHL playoff hockey is way more intense then the world championships. Love his now second calling on the bench. Alot of class from a guy that folds when his team really needs him.

Well, one team is where he just works and the other one is his coutry team. From a Russian point of view it is ok to tank on the Pens, most important part is if he gives 110% for team Russia.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
No I think he is soft and cant handle playoff hockey. NHL playoff hockey is way more intense then the world championships. Love his now second calling on the bench. Alot of class from a guy that folds when his team really needs him. Atleast this year in the playoffs.

On a side note whoever said Crosby didnt show up in the PO's is way off he was a threat every time he was on the ice.

that might be a bit harsh...he was probably fatigued come the end. 4 pts isnt as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. he decision making needs work- but he is a ROOKIE.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Well, one team is where he just works and the other one is his coutry team. From a Russian point of view it is ok to tank on the Pens, most important part is if he gives 110% for team Russia.
he left the rsl for the nhl. get over it already.

Madness

Feb 7, 2007

Malkin is the best player in the world on "big ice" IMO.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
malkin ran out of gas!!! hes still a kid and a few days off did wonders...it took him a little while to get back into the swing but come back he did......if only coach t gave him and a few others a few games off befor the playoffs started. we would of looked much better, we still might not have won:)
ps; he is now playing with wingers for the first time this year also

GernerPSU

Jun 4, 2006
State College
Its a ridiculous idea. He played his heart out in the playoffs. Last time I checked, nearly a point/game in the playoffs over a sample of only 5 games is pretty good. The team didn't play well as a whole, end of story.

Heatley4Hart*

i would take kovy before spezza every day a year!!!!!!!!

lol yea right, not just their regular season (76 pts 41 goals in 82 games Kovalchuk...87 pts 33 goals in 65 games Spezza) but do you have any idea how Spezza is actualy dominating in the playoffs? Have you been watching the last 2 series in the playoffs and last night Buffalo?

Spezza makes player around him BETTER because he is one of the best playmaking centers in the NHL. You will see, in a year or 2 only Crosby will have more assists. They guy is 22-23 lol and he could have had MORE GOALS than Kovalchuk the goal scorer this year lol If you look at him, you have the feel that he can get a lot a lot better. He is a lot better player this year than last in his overall game and diffensively, just as their opposition or Ottawa coach Bryan Murray who praising the guy non stop in the playoffs

Give me a franchise playhmaking CENTER anyday who can score 40 goals also in a heap a head of a star winger who's game is looking enigmatic. Heck Kovalchuk isnt even the best player on his team now in teh regular season.

Just wait 2 more years when Spezza is 25. That scout is going to even out do himself with those predictions favouring Spezza's game then.

Heatley4Hart*

I was talking about team performances. Yes, the Pens lasted 5 games while Atlanta got swept. Whoopie-freakin-doo. It doesn't hide the fact that both Pittsburgh and Atlanta were overwhelmed in their first playoff series in half a decade. Penguins didn't have the defense and tenacity to match the Sens; Atlanta likewise plus there were some questionable decision-makings with their goalies..

No it is not about one team getting swept and one losing to the same team in 5. Ottawa is a lot a lot better than NYR who swept ATL. Any chance you have been watching last night's game Ryan Miller standing on his freaking head and his tea still getting dominated @ home 5-2??? And THAT was the Buffalo Sabres, the team that eliminated the team that SWEPT Atlanta is 4 pathetic games including 2 blowouts in NY lol I mean 7-0 score to go down 3-0 in a series on a whimper like that?? That was simply humiliating, nevermind by a team who sneaked into the playoffs in the last week of the season.

If some one read your comments, they would think Pens and Atlanta put forward similar performances against similar opponents. Fleury played well (unlike Lehtonen), Crosby showed up (unlike 5 year older Kovalchuk) and even rookie Malkin had a lot better showing than the other star guy in ATL, Hossa.

Reilly*

20070420pdpensg_450.jpg

Doesn't look like someone who tanked it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad