Was Malkin tanking it?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Whoever has seen Malkin play in the PO for Pittsburgh and now for Russia - his game is night and day. He is one of the leaders of the team Russia, some of his plays are just sick. He was a different player 2 weeks ago. Anybody else think that he didn't really want to delay his departure for the Worlds?

eieiodin

Jun 22, 2006
I suspect some of the seemingly inspired play is from facing lesser competition. If, however, Malkin has an extra jump in his step, I wouldn't be surprised. It probably feels great to come back to where you understand nearly everyone you see and get to see friends after being away for such a long time. I'm happy to see him do well. The notion that he intentionally tanked in the NHL playoffs seems farfetched at best.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
No, he is playing OK only the last two games. No conclusions to be made.

But then, again, don't forget, there the oh so dear Steel City, and there's Mother Russia :sarcasm:

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
No, he is playing OK only the last two games. No conclusions to be made.

But then, again, don't forget, there the oh so dear Steel City, and there's Mother Russia :sarcasm:

Well, he recovered from the flu two games ago.
I watched all the Pittsburgh playoff games and he was a different player there.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Malkin looked like he ran out of gas after his first full season in NA. For everybody that questions his abilities i say just wait till he puts on another 20 pds. He will one day be the force he was drafted to be.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I thought Malkin was trying hard in the playoffs, probably was pretty banged up and wasn't used to playoff hockey. I definetly wouldn't say he was dogging it.

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
After bolting from Kazan (or *** was it), he'd better show some heart for mother Russia... he'd get shot if not.

Too bad he has no hitmen after him in PIT.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yes, you cleverly have found him out.

I have not figured out all the details of his dasterdly scheme yet. But I have been able to determine that the outcome has him and Crosby playing for Montreal or Toronto before the year is out. Damn you Evgeni!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I doubt it, rookies usually don't play very well in their 1st playoffs. I didn't watch him at the worlds but it's gonna be interesting to see what he can do against Canada or some other good team. And like people said he's a pretty big star in his homeland Russia i bet it's a lot of pressure for him, more than the playoffs.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
who knows maybe he wanted Pitt to fail so he can prove that Cros isnt the only player on the team.

Wouldn't this have the opposite effect? As in "See...Crosby was the only one this team can turn to...etc."

Were as if Malkin goes into the first round and really kills the Senators...it might have a "I guess Crosby isn't the only guy this team can rely on" effect.

I think his play as of late has more to do with him being pumped to be back in Russia and play on the larger ice and not getting hit as much and having some skill on his wings.

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I think this is absolultely stupid to think Malkin would sabotage Pens.... :shakehead

the only reason this thread is started was an attempt to create another speculation.

Malkin is a professional player and this thread does nothing but makes me puke.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Malkin looked like he ran out of gas after his first full season in NA. For everybody that questions his abilities i say just wait till he puts on another 20 pds. He will one day be the force he was drafted to be.
Pretty much he's what 6'3" 190. A frame like that is bound to break down after an entire NHL season.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Pretty much he's what 6'3" 190. A frame like that is bound to break down after an entire NHL season.

The Sens gave him a couple of good hits but Malkin never really broke down this year. He certainly wasn't as effective in the playoffs as he was in a terrific regular season but the whole team wasn't.

I would think going from an alien culture back to home and going to a lockeroom where you can freely communicate with the entire team, after spending 7 months picking up a totally different language would be a huge relief. Factor in the bigger playing surface he's use to and lesser competition than NHL playoffs and it's easy to see why Malkin looks a lot more comfortable at Worlds.

Malkin wasn't tanking it, but he may have ran out of gas/got burnt out a little by April. It's only natural that now that he's at home he's reinvigorated.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its all about finding ice to skate on for Malkin.

He is not good standing still playing hockey, and partly because he isn't used to the smaller ice, and partly because Therien got a pretty strict system, Malik had some problems getting his feet moving for the Penguins.

He is not the type of player like Crosby who takes of in no time, he must get some freedom to build up his speed, and he must learn to keep his feet moving in smaller areas too.

For Russia Frolov, Kovalchuk and Malkin are skating around like madmens, all 3 gooing after the puck, no system whatsoever when forechecking. Not saying thats the way to go, they get away with it since they are so damn skilled, when it works it also makes them look extremely good, when it doesn't work a ECHL team could create offense against them...

Last edited:

Kopistar

Jan 28, 2007
Well Kovalchuk is a puck hog and Frolov plays his best when he is in control of the puck.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Whoever has seen Malkin play in the PO for Pittsburgh and now for Russia - his game is night and day. He is one of the leaders of the team Russia, some of his plays are just sick. He was a different player 2 weeks ago. Anybody else think that he didn't really want to delay his departure for the Worlds?
the physicality of the hockey is night and day too. the senators were punishing malkin every shift he was out there. that is likely the main difference as to why he's playing well now, against worse competition as well.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Its all about finding ice to skate on for Malik.

He is not good standing still playing hockey, and partly because he isn't used to the smaller ice, and partly because Therien got a pretty strict system, Malik had some problems getting his feet moving for the Penguins.

He is not the type of player like Crosby who takes of in no time, he must get some freedom to build up his speed, and he must learn to keep his feet moving in smaller areas too.

For Russia Frolov, Kovalchuk and Malik are skating around like madmens, all 3 gooing after the puck, no system whatsoever when forechecking. Not saying thats the way to go, they get away with it since they are so damn skilled, when it works it also makes them look extremely good, when it doesn't work a ECHL team could create offense against them...
please stop calling him malik.:help:

Heatley4Hart*

Ottawa was physicaly punishing him at every turn he touched the puck and taking time and space away. He will get use to that in the future and be a better player for it. On the other hand his hot dog antics after scoring at the world stage need to go. I beleive he did the same thing too few years ago vs. Team USA in the world juniors. Simply disgraceful. He needs to watch more of Sidney and be humble, I would hate to see him turn out like the playoff choker Kovalchuk and his antics :rant:

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Ottawa was physicaly punishing him at every turn he touched the puck and taking time and space away. He will get use to that in the future and be a better player for it. On the other hand his hot dog antics after scoring at the world stage need to go. I beleive he did the same thing too few years ago vs. Team USA in the world juniors. Simply disgraceful. He needs to watch more of Sidney and be humble, I would hate to see him turn out like the playoff choker Kovalchuk and his antics :rant:

He has been in playoffs once and he is already a choker? And Crosby and Malkin not?

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Playing for your country should always be the place where you have the most opportunity.

Many european players play their heart out with their jobs, but still manage to find that extra gear when playing for the honour of their country.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Yes, you cleverly have found him out.

I have not figured out all the details of his dasterdly scheme yet. But I have been able to determine that the outcome has him and Crosby playing for Montreal or Toronto before the year is out. Damn you Evgeni!

Yep clearly Malkin has decided to play badly so that the Penguins would be out early in round 1 and he would be able to get to Russia in time for the beginning of the Worlds.

It surely wouldnt have anything to do with him being hammered everytime he touched the puck against the Sens and him having yet to see a bodycheck in the Worlds. Probably also has nothing to do with playing scrub teams compared to the Sens either. Oh well....was a nice run with Pittsburgh well it lasted......goodbye Evgeni :sarcasm:

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong

Um, lets not get overboard with the homerism yeah? Cros/Malkin and Kovalchuk all have the same amount of playoff experience. Both Atlanta and Pittsburgh didn't play well in their respective first round series.

Heatley4Hart*

Um, lets not get overboard with the homerism yeah? Cros/Malkin and Kovalchuk all have the same amount of playoff experience. Both Atlanta and Pittsburgh didn't play well in their respective first round series.

#1 Pens played arguably the best team going in the playoffs

#2 Pens didn't get swept

#3 Crosby scored 3 goals and 6 pts in his first 5 games and was the best player on the team every night (if not on both teams some nights)

#4 Crosby was checked by the best shutdown combo in the playoffs (Phillips/Volchenkov) who did the very same thing to Elias and his line.

#5 He is still a FREAKIN' teenager and not 24 lol (are you even suggesting Kovalchuk is in his league? lol Helo! 120 pts to 76 lol This guy is not even in the same park now guys @ or around his age age now i.e. Spezza taken #2 after him, Lecavalier, Heatley etc etc. I heard in 2001 a scout say in about 5 years when they are 25, Spezza would be the superior player and the one to build around. Boy was that guy smart scout!

#6 Malkin had 4 pts in 5 games and was shutdown as well but he is still only 20.

#7 I will forgive and forget if Kovalchuk contracted a Hossatitis however :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad