Was it a mistake to trade for Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So tell me

Which NHL teams have you played for other than Ottawa and Edmonton?

You seem very well informed on what goes on behind closed doors

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Easiest question of all to answer. You sign with a team like Ottawa or Edmonton because there is zero pressure from the media, zero expectations for cup contention and you can just go about your business and not be bothered by fans. It's basically a club med on ice.

Or maybe because those players want to be part of raising the team to contender status.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Not put a negative spin on it, but it wasn't public. Ryan personally sent him a text and Mac made it public. Who's to say Ryan didn't text him after upset about the fact it was made public?

Ryan seems like a pretty good natured guy. I'm sure he doens't care that the comment was made public. There isn't a positive or negative connatation to it, its just a joke. All that matters is that talks continue and there is progress, nothing seems to indicate otherwise. He could sign today or the day before he becomes a UFA, walk or be traded, its just way to early to tell.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Not put a negative spin on it, but it wasn't public. Ryan personally sent him a text and Mac made it public. Who's to say Ryan didn't text him after upset about the fact it was made public?

I think its more likely that it was just a joke, it was some kind of serious comment I doubt that Macarthur would have made it public.

Im not trying to direct this at you, just a blanket statement, but as usual people are reading way too much into this and forming conclusions without any context whatsoever. Various smiley faces could change the meaning of that text message in a multitude of ways.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
I think its more likely that it was just a joke, it was some kind of serious comment I doubt that Macarthur would have made it public.

Im not trying to direct this at you, just a blanket statement, but as usual people are reading way too much into this and forming conclusions without any context whatsoever. Various smiley faces could change the meaning of that text message in a multitude of ways.

Understood, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Unless you saw the actual text in question, it is difficult to assume what was the exact nature. But as you say, I don't doubt Mac would have released a serious text. To me, it seems like a good sign.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Understood, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Unless you saw the actual text in question, it is difficult to assume what was the exact nature. But as you say, I don't doubt Mac would have released a serious text. To me, it seems like a good sign.

I wished MacArthur kept the text message a secret so that we wouldn't have people jumping to conclusions on what it meant. :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm of the mind that it doesn't mean anything at all

Other than maybe the fact that Ryan probably reads HF every now and then

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
There is an incentive for Ryan to sign an extension before going to UFA. There is always a risk of a career-ending or career-altering injury. Just ask Steve Moore. While the risk is low, Ryan rolls the dice every game he plays without having the extension

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
As per usual, take this for what it's worth...

Apparently Ryan has "committed" to an extension,but there are apparently two deals on the table.

The first deal is for 2-3 years, at around 7.5M per.
The second is a 7-8 year deal worth around 6.5M per, that's front loaded in the first couple of seasons (as much as it can be with the new CBA)

Ryan asked for some time to consider the two offers, and both sides are supposed to resume talks again in Sept.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Apparently Ryan has "committed" to an extension,but there are apparently two deals on the table.

The second is a 7-8 year deal worth around 6.5M per, that's front loaded in the first couple of seasons (as much as it can be with the new CBA)

Ryan asked for some time to consider the two offers, and both sides are supposed to resume talks again in Sept.

Always the man with the good news on Fridays eh Benji?

Thanks for this, either deal is fine by me but obviously the second one is more to Ottawa's advantage although the first one is pretty risky for Ryan if the team blows or he gets hurt; the second deal sets him up for life

Not sure what I would pick if I was in Ryan's shoes

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I'd go to the team that wanted me to be there more. The Sens ponied up and made the best offer last summer, the Flyers did not think he was worth as much as the Sens offered or they would have beat it.

Or perhaps the offers were similar and it came down to the ducks valuing the sens first round pick more than the flyers first round pick. If so they made the right choice.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Or perhaps the offers were similar and it came down to the ducks valuing the sens first round pick more than the flyers first round pick. If so they made the right choice.

At the time of the trade, the Sens 1st round pick was expected to be in the 15-20 range. So i doubt the Ducks valued the Sens first round pick more than the Flyers first round pick. It probably had more to do with the prospects that was being offered. It was well known that the Ducks really wanted Noesen back when he was first drafted.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Either deal would be excellent. I don't like 7.5 mil but not like we are tight against the cap atm.

Since he's committed to re-signing, this bodes very well for Sens.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Always the man with the good news on Fridays eh Benji?

Thanks for this, either deal is fine by me but obviously the second one is more to Ottawa's advantage although the first one is pretty risky for Ryan if the team blows or he gets hurt; the second deal sets him up for life

Not sure what I would pick if I was in Ryan's shoes

Turning away a guaranteed 2/3s (is that the buyout formula?) of 30+ million dollars or what ever the total difference is would be very hard to do. I'm not speculating that he'll ever be bought out, not even close, but that is the worst case scenario financially for him.

The 8 year contract sounds pretty sweet for Ottawa. The only possible way it could blow up in their face is if Ryan declines to a level like Heatley did.

Even then, if the contract is front loaded, and he is only making 4 million a year, even if he devolved into a 15 goal player, given where the salary cap and average contracts are going, he'd probably still be paid appropriately. The only possible issue would be is if Ottawa became a power house like Chicago and Boston who were able to spend to the cap, and were stuck with an inflated contract cap wise.....keep in mind, I'm speculating on the worst most distant possible scenario.

Odds are, Ottawa stays a budget team, and Ryan regresses in line with his 8 year deal to where his salary is either a great bargain, or in line with what similar players are getting. We're already seeing UFA third liners get almost 3 million, and the salary cap is only going up.

I hope he takes the 8 year deal.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

Excellent news. 6.5 is reasonable. Get er done !

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Can we make the thread title more positive or at least neutral?

Depressing reading that title every time I come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad