Was it a mistake to trade for Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Those may be the offers on the table and Ryan will be considering them but remember guys, they are offers. Ryan's agent is likely to come back and counter offer, rather than to straight up accept those term.

I think Ryan ends up coming back to the table and countering on the 8 year contract, and we settle on a cap hit around 7mil.

Honestly I would be so happy to sign Ryan to a contract like that, only because as a free agent I know he could potentially get so much more from a GM looking to make a splash on July 1.

Yes, that is my view too, except for the dollar amount. Ryan may sign an extension IF he gets an offer that is comparable to others at his skill and age level. He does not have to sign an extension for less dollars. The Senators may have to pay more than a comparable amount due to taxes being lower in some states in the USA. I suspect he may ask and possibly get $7.5 to $8m AAV.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
When you trade the future for now, you are supposed to have a now

The Sens need to step up and sign Ryan to an 8 year extension. Ryan will still be a productive winger for the next 6 years, ages 27-32, and he will still have 3 years left for the team to decide to keep or trade at that point. We all talk about term left in trade proposals, 3 years is ideal, and it would be his 33, 34, and 35 age years, and his cap would be ridiculously low for the future cap, or on par with his mid 30 age decline.

BM, git 'er dun!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Either 8 or 3 years is fine

If the news that Ryan is in town is correct I'd have to think that it could be because of an extension

It would be strange for him to fly back here only to submit a counter-offer when that is his agent's job

That or he got a house and needs to sign papers maybe?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Either 8 or 3 years is fine

If the news that Ryan is in town is correct I'd have to think that it could be because of an extension

It would be strange for him to fly back here only to submit a counter-offer when that is his agent's job

That or he got a house and needs to sign papers maybe?

He has to get his home/apartment set up, start skating with the boys prior to training camp, etc. Final negotiations on the contract, plus a contract signing picture too! :)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When you trade the future for now, you are supposed to have a now

The Sens need to step up and sign Ryan to an 8 year extension. Ryan will still be a productive winger for the next 6 years, ages 27-32, and he will still have 3 years left for the team to decide to keep or trade at that point. We all talk about term left in trade proposals, 3 years is ideal, and it would be his 33, 34, and 35 age years, and his cap would be ridiculously low for the future cap, or on par with his mid 30 age decline.

BM, git 'er dun!

Yes but Ryan is only 3 years older than Silfverberg... Noesen is 5-6 years younger and the 2014 pick is 7-8 years younger but they are very uncertain pieces, but were needed in that trade to close the gap between Ryan's and Silfverberg's values...

Agreed with the rest, need to sign him as long as possible. He would be like 36 y/o when the contract is done, it is NOT old (despite HF conceptions), unless his body is ravaged by injuries

Thing is Ryan at 35 could still be a much better player than Silfverberg at 32, so if we can extend him for 8 years, you get 10 years of Bobby Ryan and likely a ******** of goals scored. Giving up a 1st in a weak draft and a prospect struggling with injuries can be worth it a lot. Same thing Dallas could say if they can extend Spezza and if he can stay healthy & good enough for the duration of his next contract too.

Like in most trades, there is no winner/loser though. It's just an HF/media myth

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

Not surprising given everything I've heard.

Basically, Ryan (through his agent) named his price and left the number of years open.
Murray wants the opportunity to talk Ryan down if he can in order the help the team, but would ultimately agree to Ryan's terms if he had to.

They won't make another Alfie mistake.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't really see his quote about wanting to stay. He says it's been amicable, and that it's a process....maybe the reporter is doing some paraphrasing, but it would have been nice to have a direct quote on that.

“It’s a tight-knit team, the organization has been great and (owner) Eugene (Melnyk) has been great to me. I know there is a stigma around it because it’s Northeast, it’s Ottawa and it’s cold. Once guys get here and realize what a first-class organization it is their feelings change. I can only speak for myself but it’s certainly an area I’d like to be in.â€

:huh:

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
“It’s a tight-knit team, the organization has been great and (owner) Eugene (Melnyk) has been great to me. I know there is a stigma around it because it’s Northeast, it’s Ottawa and it’s cold. Once guys get here and realize what a first-class organization it is their feelings change. I can only speak for myself but it’s certainly an area I’d like to be in.â€

:huh:

amazing to hear people have great things to say about Ottawa and the organization. It really sounds like he has liked it so far and that he could see himself here for a while, i hope it happens.

waiting for the "every player says that about their current team" type comments

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
At this point, now that we know extension talks have been on-going for a little bit, if Ryan keeps reiterating that he loves it here and wants to stay it stops being a "all players say this"

If talks were not going well he wouldn't be saying stuff like this

Plus Benji, who's been dead on with all his source-fueled predictions, says it's going to get done then I have no fears at all

It will be interesting if Murray can get him to take a bit less in order to really help the team make a more serious push in terms of the roster

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
well, if it's really close enough that it's just a matter of Murray trying to get Bobby to "take a little less" to help the team, then I say, budget smudget. Just pay the extra few bucks and worry about it later.

If we have to down the road, we can always jettison a bad contract (like Greening) to a team in need for a late draft pick or something if things get too tight financially.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
It's a big area.

northeastern_us_political_map.gif

SenatorArmy*

I'm very excited to hear from Bobby himself that he wants to stay in Ottawa. That is BIG news. It's great for the team going forward when it comes to forging an identity. Turris/Ryan/MacArthur/Karlsson/Anderson is a really nice looking core that the team can build around. I guess you could tentatively throw Zibanejad, Cowen & Wiercioch into that group & Methot if they sign him. All of a sudden things are looking pretty good in the city that a lot of other fan bases have been claiming that no players want to play in.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Murray needs to tell him that if he doesn't sign by midnight he is getting traded. And if Ryan doesn't believe him he should call his bluff and do it. That will teach all the other stars that we mean business

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
Murray needs to tell him that if he doesn't sign by midnight he is getting traded. And if Ryan doesn't believe him he should call his bluff and do it. That will teach all the other stars that we mean business

Sounds like a recipe for success........:shakehead

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010

The old set an example tactic, I like it! :yo: :naughty:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

He should only do this if he knows for sure that Bobby Ryan owns a cuckoo clock so that in a really dramatic fashion right after it goes off at midnight, the phone can ring, and in an angry vindictive tone Bryan Murray can say "PACK YOUR BAGS YOU'RE GOING TO EDMONTON".

He should also aim to do it on a day where he knows there is going to be thunder, but that might be hard to coordinate.

#mindgames

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Not surprising given everything I've heard.

Basically, Ryan (through his agent) named his price and left the number of years open.
Murray wants the opportunity to talk Ryan down if he can in order the help the team, but would ultimately agree to Ryan's terms if he had to.

They won't make another Alfie mistake.

That's encouraging to hear, I feel Ryan will be fair and listen, but ultimately I think the ball is in his court. He and Murray could always agree to give him the amount he wants now, but be open to negotiating his annual wage assuming a trade could be made and they need to free up cap space.

Not like that would happen, but I don't think it's a stretch. Interested to see how the next few weeks go, and if a potential Ryan signing will spark any trades.

BigBush*

Better yet, make him a healthy scratch all season. "Good luck getting your big UFA contract now" - says Murray

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
He should only do this if he knows for sure that Bobby Ryan owns a cuckoo clock so that in a really dramatic fashion right after it goes off at midnight, the phone can ring, and in an angry vindictive tone Bryan Murray can say "PACK YOUR BAGS YOU'RE GOING TO EDMONTON".

He should also aim to do it on a day where he knows there is going to be thunder, but that might be hard to coordinate.

#mindgames

What about a trap door in BMs office?
That will teach him to **** with us

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm very excited to hear from Bobby himself that he wants to stay in Ottawa. That is BIG news. It's great for the team going forward when it comes to forging an identity. Turris/Ryan/MacArthur/Karlsson/Anderson is a really nice looking core that the team can build around. I guess you could tentatively throw Zibanejad, Cowen & Wiercioch into that group & Methot if they sign him. All of a sudden things are looking pretty good in the city that a lot of other fan bases have been claiming that no players want to play in.

I suppose it is big news if, for some reason, you believed even for a moment that he would not re-sign. Seeing as the team was committed to signing him, and he made continual comments about staying since he arrived here, the only big news will be the final figures for term, dollar, and NMC.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Daniel Slater @dslatertv said:
Bobby Ryan on all the speculation that he may leave or be traded, "Right now I'm a Sen, I'm pretty happy being a Sen."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad