Was Eakin's 5min major right call?

Was Eakin's 5min major right call?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Eakin's 5min major is a weird call because IMO the event becoming as bad as it did was Staal's fault. If he doesn't body slam Pavelski to the ice, what Eakin did isn't even a penalty.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Eakin's 5min major is a weird call because IMO the event becoming as bad as it did was Staal's fault. If he doesn't body slam Pavelski to the ice, what Eakin did isn't even a penalty.
You mean Stastny?

But yeah, major injury and blood, that's gonna draw some majors a lot of the times. It could have easily been avoided, neither Eakin nor Stastny needed to do what they did, but they did and paid the price for it.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Yes. And Eakin deserves a 10 game suspension to start next season minimum.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
You don't get a major penalty for a cross check to the chest. That should have been 2 minutes, San Jose would have scored once and Vegas would probably be through.

I'd be apoplectic if this had happened to the Flyers.

Reactions: kihei and Devonator

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No.

59.3Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who "cross-checks" an opponent (see 59.5).
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Unfortunate result but the severity of the contact was no different than any other crosscheck thrown without a call in this series and the fall happened as a result of Pavelski's awkward stumble into Stastny who lost his balance and directed Pavelski's downward motion that resulted in the injury.

Two minute minor surely, and I could even see the argument for a 5 on 3 sending both Stastny and Eakin to the box. But 5 minutes based on the severity of the contact was unwarranted.

But even presuming that (the refs thought Eakin crosschecked Pavs in the face) weren't true, the refs didn't have their hand up to make a call on this play. The penalty wasn't applied until Pavelski was helped off the ice. Either they didn't see it in the first place, or they didn't think much of it until they saw Pavelski was hurt. Either way, not a good look for the refs.

Doesn't change that Vegas didn't keep their composure on the penalty kill, but they should've had the shorthanded situation nullified after one goal. Not four.

EDIT: Owning my mistake. Eakin's ejection was not a match penalty just simple game misconduct which automatically latches onto a 5 minute misconduct as a result of a crosscheck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I would say 2 min to both Eakin and Stastny. I think they both cross checked him tbh. and maybe Stastny used excessive force on his, but Pavelski was also already unbalanced/falling so thats hard to say. Then again, easy for me to say watching replay. Harder for refs on the ice at full speed.

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
New Zealand, South Island
It was only the right call, by the rulebook, if it caused a significant injury. Otherwise its only a 2 minute minor.

I'll leave it up to everyone else to determine if Pavelski's injury was significant.

If it was, the 5 minute major was, by the book, absolutely the right call.

"Series supervisor Don VanMassenhoven said the major penalty was given because the cross-check caused a significant injury."

That really should be the end of the story, but I know people will debate this forever, which is fine by me

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
No one hates the refs more than I do, but I don't blame a ref who sees a cross check near the face, and a guy collapse, call a major penalty.
No one is perfect, you do what you think is right at the time.

Vegas fans, I love you guys, but don't blame the ref...

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
No one hates the refs more than I do, but I don't blame a ref who sees a cross check near the face, and a guy collapse, call a major penalty.
No one is perfect, you do what you think is right at the time.

Vegas fans, I love you guys, but don't blame the ref...

Let's ignore the fact that it was nowhere near his face. What exactly is the thought process if the ref thinks he sees someone, who is wearing a full shield to begin, laying on the ice bleeding from the back of his head? At what point would that lead them to believe the injury was caused by the cross check?

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Never in a million years. To call it a cross-check is pushing, it's more like a shove to the chest that happens about half the time a faceoff is done.
But sure, let's call it a cross-check. Let's call it a 2 min penalty.

The refs called 5 and a game because they saw the injury and thought Eakin cross-checked Joe in the face.

It really is that simple.

They messed up. They made a horrible call and directly influenced the game, and both teams' seasons.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Should be a minor interference call, nothing more than that. Doesn't change the fact that Vegas still blew it themselves but that's a bad call.

Reactions: Devonator

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
It's likely the worst major penalty call I've ever seen. 2 mins for interference? Sure, but we've seen worse examples of interference go uncalled frequently. Ideal call imo, if there was to be one, was the 2 mins for interference and 2 minutes for diving because the Sharks player sold that hard imo.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It was only the right call, by the rulebook, if it caused a significant injury. Otherwise its only a 2 minute minor.

I'll leave it up to everyone else to determine if Pavelski's injury was significant.

If it was, the 5 minute major was, by the book, absolutely the right call.

"Series supervisor Don VanMassenhoven said the major penalty was given because the cross-check caused a significant injury."

That really should be the end of the story
, but I know people will debate this forever, which is fine by me

Except it's not because that explanation doesn't line up with the rule as I told you in the other thread. Severity of the contact is the operative language. Other rules dealing with injurious results have specific language stating things like "contact to the head resulting in an injury"

I don't know why they'd suddenly go vague about the meaning of "severity of the contact" to imply it actually means severity of the injury.

It's only the end of the story in that the call was made and the league isn't going to retroactively have these teams try again because of an error in judgment. San Jose is through and Vegas isn't. That's the only story that's over.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Let's ignore the fact that it was nowhere near his face. What exactly is the thought process if the ref thinks he sees someone, who is wearing a full shield to begin, laying on the ice bleeding from the back of his head? At what point would that lead them to believe the injury was caused by the cross check?
Put yourself in the refs position.
You see a high cross check, then the player falls, is bleeding and is out.
Everything is simple in slow motion, but in real time, it's not that easy...

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Put yourself in the refs position.
You see a high cross check, then the player falls, is bleeding and is out.
Everything is simple in slow motion, but in real time, it's not that easy...

I would confer with the linesman and my fellow referee and not take a wild guess. You still haven't explained to me how a cross check to the head that supposedly happened would even cause a guy that is wearing a full shield to suffer the injury Pavelski did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad