Was Eakin's 5min major right call?

Was Eakin's 5min major right call?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
only reason it was a penalty is cause he hit is head. if he didnt hit his head on the ice, it wouldn't even be a penalty.

vegas got screwed.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No, it was a bad call

but it did not cost them the game or the series.

their own historical level of ineptitude on the PK cost them the game, and losing 3 straight close out games cost them the series

They went into this game with an 88% PK percentage and were twelfth in the league during the regular season...

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Well I think we've gotten a pretty accurate representation of non Shark fan opinions on this poll. Of the yes votes what 10 or so are Shark fans out of 21?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Horrible call and it's sad to see VanMassenhoven try to smooth it over by saying Eakins was penalized for the result and not just the action. That's just adding fueling fuel to the fire, since penalties should not be determined by the extent of the "injury" they inflict. Should we start handing out 5 minute majors when a guy gets hurt after being tripped?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Absolutely not.

Not excuse by VGK to give up 4 goals on the PP, but it's an absolute joke that SJ even had the major to begin with. Reffing in this league during the playoffs is an absolute mockery.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No. If anything Statsny should have got a call as well. Either way this call didn't cost the Knights. What cost the Knights was giving up 4 goals in a 5 minute period and a 3-1 series lead.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Eakin's 5min major is a weird call because IMO the event becoming as bad as it did was Staal's fault. If he doesn't body slam Pavelski to the ice, what Eakin did isn't even a penalty.
It was definitely a 2 minute penalty. I voted No, but part of me wanted to vote yes just because it was a stupid decision on Eakins part. Like, it wasn't needed, at all. Still, they called the penalty off the injury and it shouldn't have been more than 2 mins. I would have been alright with both Stastny and Eakins getting 2 mins. 5 major was too much.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
This is a tough one. With hindsight, slow motion and everything else it probably should have been 2 minutes. But this stuff happens live, with obstructed views. There was blood, the stretcher and everything else. A major was the right call all things considered in my opinion, if the ref doesn't make that call and it was a severe injury there'd be just as much hell to pay as making the call and being wrong. Ultimately it's up to Las Vegas to stop the goals and when we're talking about four it's really hard to blame this game on the refs...

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
With the benefit of slow-mo instant replay, no it wasn't. But in real time I understand why they made that call.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
No. If anything Statsny should have got a call as well. Either way this call didn't cost the Knights. What cost the Knights was giving up 4 goals in a 5 minute period and a 3-1 series lead.
I mean - this is a remarkably stupid take. Obviously it cost the Knights. The goals scored were *on* the PP, and they lost a valuable player for the rest of the game as a result.

Yes the Knights should have stopped their PP. Their PK was awful. Doesn't change the fact that but for the awful call, they would not have been in that situation.

With the benefit of slow-mo instant replay, no it wasn't. But in real time I understand why they made that call.
Lol - they didn't even see the play they called. They saw blood on the ice.

In real time it was a bad call. On replay it was an abysmal call.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This is a tough one. With hindsight, slow motion and everything else it probably should have been 2 minutes. But this stuff happens live, with obstructed views. There was blood, the stretcher and everything else. A major was the right call all things considered in my opinion, if the ref doesn't make that call and it was a severe injury there'd be just as much hell to pay as making the call and being wrong. Ultimately it's up to Las Vegas to stop the goals and when we're talking about four it's really hard to blame this game on the refs...
We have a mechanism to punish players after the fact if the penalty was worse on the ice - it's why we have a DoPS. You don't penalize the result of a play - you penalize what you saw.

The refs said to Gallant that it was a cross-check to the face. Clearly they called something they didn't see, because that is not what happened.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Van Massenhoven loses a lot of the respect I had for him in blindly defending his crew as well. There must be a better way without throwing them under the bus or undermining his own integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad