Was CBC's Firing of Chris Cuthbert in 2005 A Mistake?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't know something not boring? Look at Emrick's call on the goal vs. Hughson's. Once again, Hughson has to pause to think of what he's going to say.. Emrick is just emotion.

So when a team wins the cup you don’t want the announcer to say “they have just won the Stanley cup?”

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
So when a team wins the cup you don’t want the announcer to say “they have just won the Stanley cup?”
When it's an OT goal to win the cup, absolutely not. When there's a countdown in the last 10 seconds of the game it's fine.

Hughson is just not original.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
When it's an OT goal to win the cup, absolutely not. When there's a countdown in the last 10 seconds of the game it's fine.

Hughson is just not original.

Just went and watched both feeds. Here’s what doc said

“Shot, save, scores! The Stanley Cup! Martinez!”

Here’s what Jim said

“Toffoli shoots, great save, rebound, they score! Alec Martinez gets the goal! The Los Angeles Kings have won the Stanley Cup!”

Yeah, Doc’s call is so much better.

I don’t get your point. The announcer is not supposed to mention that the goal just won the team the Stanley Cup? They should just treat it like any other goal?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Jim Hughson is the best announcer in hockey AINEC. Cant believe people are actually saying negative **** about him ITT. I guess it's the HF way though, hate on everybody just cause.

Says the Canucks fan.

Hughson sounds like a constipated asexual robot. Cuthbert and Cole still have the best voices in the game. Honorable mention to Miller.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Says the Canucks fan.

Hughson sounds like a constipated asexual robot. Cuthbert and Cole still have the best voices in the game. Honorable mention to Miller.

Cuthbert is great, but he’s not blessed with the greatest voice. Hughson’s voice is better, but that doesn’t mean he’s better at his job.

For the record, I like Hughson. Not sure why so many hate him. Oh well, enjoy listening to him tonight!

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Says the Canucks fan.

Yeah you're probably the 15th person to @ me with the hilarious response of "hyuk hyuk says the canucks fan hyuk hyuk"

Go talk **** somewhere else. Bunch of fat neck beards on this forum cant give guys like hughson who hasn't been anything but a professional his entire career credit.

If you prefer other announcers that's fine, everyone has their opinion, doesn't mean you have to be a complete piece of **** and call someone a "constipated asexual robot" or tear the guy down for no reason. have some respect.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
@Killion My understanding was Nancy Lee who ran CBC then wanted a Vancouver based announcer because it would cost less. Turns out for the 2010 Olympics she gave men's hockey to Cuthbert.

The man is happiest when he calls CFL games.

Yup, he's in his element calling CFL games. Very knowledgable about football, I always think of him as a football guy first. But, he's also the best hockey announcer. A real treat for us fans to have him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah you're probably the 15th person to @ me with the hilarious response of "hyuk hyuk says the canucks fan hyuk hyuk"

Go talk **** somewhere else. Bunch of fat neck beards on this forum cant give guys like hughson who hasn't been anything but a professional his entire career credit.

If you prefer other announcers that's fine, everyone has their opinion, doesn't mean you have to be a complete piece of **** and call someone a "constipated asexual robot" or tear the guy down for no reason. have some respect.

Meh, some Canucks fans are going to be biased for the old time home team announcer.

I didn't call him that, I said that's what he sounds like. And he does. Emotionless almost as if he's pretending to be human with a high pitched and strained voice like he's been pinching a Byfuglien sized loaf since 1999.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010

Fat neck beard? Now who is "hyuk hyuk"

Being professional doesn't change the fact that he is a terrible announcer. Im sure he is wonderful for the community and helps old ladies across the street, that doesn't change the fact that him and Simpson are the worst "#1" combo that HNIC has ever iced.

Scott Moore needs to be fired, and those guys next. Getting rid of Healy was a start.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
The best in the business is Gord "a goat getting raped" Miller.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hughson gets **** on because he's garbage. Monotone. No excitement. Annoying pompous sounding voice. Poor analysis. Its fitting that he calls games with Craig Simspon who is a complete idiot himself.

He's not impartial and he's proud of it. He doesn't give a ****.

Canucks fans like Jim Hughson - thats it.

He's good...... Just a bit bland.

I remember while ago he talked about how he didn't want to be that guy who is known for some punchline. It explains why he stopped saying "thaaaats hockey"

Anybody who remembers him from his tsn days will tell you that he was fun to listen to. I'm guessing that he's trying so hard not to become some caricature, that he actually goes the other way, and becomes a bit vanilla.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
He's good...... Just a bit bland.

I remember while ago he talked about how he didn't want to be that guy who is known for some punchline. It explains why he stopped saying "thaaaats hockey"

Anybody who remembers him from his tsn days will tell you that he was fun to listen to. I'm guessing that he's trying so hard not to become some caricature, that he actually goes the other way, and becomes a bit vanilla.

a bit?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Jim Hughson used to do Blue Jays games in the early 1990's on TSN. Plus he did some hockey games for TSN before switching to be the primary Canucks play by play guy for Sportsnet before the switch.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Jim Hughson used to do Blue Jays games in the early 1990's on TSN. Plus he did some hockey games for TSN before switching to be the primary Canucks play by play guy for Sportsnet before the switch.

i can't imagine how boring watching baseball on tv must be if he's doing the calls

why did he swtich to hockey? did he bore everyone so much its like he was handing out aneurysms?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I like the fact that so many people who hate Hughson are forced to listen to him. That brings me some happiness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad