Was CBC's Firing of Chris Cuthbert in 2005 A Mistake?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hughson is a talent, Cuthbert is a talent...and while Hughson has called a number of Finals (on merit), Cuthbert also has gotten some Olympic looks (plus Grey Cups...you know, for all the Sask. people here).

Doesn't seem like CBC, pre-Rogers or post-Rogers, treats some of its choice talent very well...Cuthbert's sudden firing despite a desire to work it out and then this year by telling Bob Cole to get lost (not that he has done much for me in broadcasts for the last several years, but still, he's a legend)...

Was it a bad decision? I'm not sure what constitutes that or how one would record those results...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Cuthbert's calls are legendary. His voice may take some getting used to but he shouts like an excited child, and it speaks to the Miniwheat child in all of us

I never understood why Hughson is so big in Canada. He is not enjoyable to listen to at all.

He was known for his enthusiasm and eccentricities way back in the day on TSN. He'd say things like "he shoots - he scores...right upstairs where Norman keeps his mother!"

Reactions: StupidGenius
Apr 1, 2010
Best thing Hughson ever did was call Kristian Huselius "Useless" in the NHL video games.

I like Cuthbert. Too bad he is gone.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
CBC doesn`t produce hockey anymore, how could they be firing him?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Cuthbert worked for CBC who fired him in 2005 during the lockout.

Precisely. Over 10yrs ago. Since then he has done lots of ply x play, international included. Topic of diswcussion better suited for this Board, not History of Hockey, however, if Local Mods decide its unsuitable feel free to deal with as you see fit.... I believe its the op's contention that Cuthbert superior to Hughson, that CBC erred 13yrs ago, that Rogers Sportsnet should be employing the guy to cover the Finals....

If thats not the case @Cityswiper ? Clarify please.

Carry on....

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
.... :laugh: took me awhile to figure out what the..... as well.... anyhoo.... all things broadcast? @Fenway
Good to know I wasn`t alone. :)

On topic, the original poster asks a good question and I can`t remember the answer other then alot of others were asking the same question at the time.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Good to know I wasn`t alone. :)

On topic, the original poster asks a good question and I can`t remember the answer other then alot of others were asking the same question at the time.

My recollection was that then head of CBC Sports Nancy Lee terminated Cuthberts Contract in late Feb 05 during the Lockout because of... the Lockout AND... she'd hired some friend of hers a year earlier to manage CBC Sports Programming Acquisition Department, was cancelling "Hockey Day in Canada" (amongst other things) in wanting her friend to have a clean sheet when she started later on in 2005.... that Cuthbert was highly critical of her decision to cancel Hockey Day & so bang... yer gone.... Rogers (or maybe TSN? cant recall) then launched their own "Hockey Day in Canada" and yes, a fair amount of flak & anger as a result. Cuthbert extremely popular... and of course, remember CBC losing the rights to the HNIC theme music?... Another beaut... ultimately, they lost the colors, lost the Regimental Flag Sir.... only instead of a quick death behind the tent by your own hand with a flintlock as is customary... they linger... sad, sorry slow march off into oblivion.... an anachronism....

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
My recollection was that then head of CBC Sports Nancy Lee terminated Cuthberts Contract in late Feb 05 during the Lockout because of... the Lockout AND... she'd hired some friend of hers a year earlier to manage CBC Sports Programming Acquisition Department, was cancelling "Hockey Day in Canada" (amongst other things) in wanting her friend to have a clean sheet when she started later on in 2005.... that Cuthbert was highly critical of her decision to cancel Hockey Day & so bang... yer gone.... Rogers (or maybe TSN? cant recall) then launched their own "Hockey Day in Canada" and yes, a fair amount of flak & anger as a result. Cuthbert extremely popular... and of course, remember CBC losing the rights to the HNIC theme music?... Another beaut... ultimately, they lost the colors, lost the Regimental Flag Sir.... only instead of a quick death behind the tent by your own hand with a flintlock as is customary... they linger...

Ah. Didn't know the specific reason Cuthbert was let go. Thanks for this information.

CBC did a lot right during their heyday. But letting Cuthbert and Al Strachan go wasn't their better decisions.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This was one of the first things CBC did where they started to become irrelevant. It just came out of nowhere. I mean, yeah, there is no hockey, but when it's coming back Cuthbert is there. Maybe you have your staff take a hit in pay for a year or so, understandably, but let go Cuthbert who is a familiar voice? Nah.

Then the CBC anthem gets replaced. TSN practically trips over themselves picking up the rights to it, which is exactly what they would do if Rogers ever turfed Don Cherry. Since 2008 I have never gotten used to the HNIC theme on TSN. It has never felt right. It is to this day still out of place, which is sad because the song is a classic but when I hear it today it is just of a bygone era.

How Bob Cole has been treated is a shame too. The guy is the voice of Canada more than anyone else. Perhaps the Vin Scully of Canada if you may. He didn't do a single playoff game this year and I am not sure if that means he's coming back in the fall or not (seriously I don't know either way) but you don't scale back on a guy like him. His voice automatically transforms you "home". Jim Hughson? He doesn't have the same feel.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Cuthbert is the best announcer in hockey.

I actually think he's a better football announcer, I always associate his voice with the CFL.

No one calls a game quite like him, like I said, best in the business.

Reactions: BHD and Ollie Weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad