Was CBC's Firing of Chris Cuthbert in 2005 A Mistake?

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Jim Hughson is the best announcer in hockey AINEC. Cant believe people are actually saying negative **** about him ITT. I guess it's the HF way though, hate on everybody just cause.
no he isn't good. period. monotone. same ol great save _____. he's a total Homer with emotion only for a few teams. aka leafs or Canucks. Cuthbert is legendary.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
These kinds of accusations are completely baseless unless you did a neutral and longitudinal study (probably requiring years of analysis) that would stand up to peer-review academic study. Which you haven't. I wish people would give up the "so-and-so national broadcaster is a homer" silliness.

Hughson was a regional broadcaster for the Canucks for several years, hence why people believe he's a Canucks homer.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Meh. Unless I'm listening through my custom Foster Hewitt PBP VoiceSynthesizer filter with the Breathless Excitement, Deep Background Info and Arcane Slang sliders set to max, I just watch with the sound off. Expecting that Olde Tyme hockey passion from anyone born after 1902 is a unicorn hunt. #BringBackFoz

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
Jim Hughson is the best announcer in hockey AINEC. Cant believe people are actually saying negative **** about him ITT. I guess it's the HF way though, hate on everybody just cause.

Hughson gets shit on because he's garbage. Monotone. No excitement. Annoying pompous sounding voice. Poor analysis. Its fitting that he calls games with Craig Simspon who is a complete idiot himself.

He's not impartial and he's proud of it. He doesn't give a shit.

Canucks fans like Jim Hughson - thats it.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Hughson is fine, but Cuthbert has always been much better. Probably my favorite of all time.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Hughson was a regional broadcaster for the Canucks for several years, hence why people believe he's a Canucks homer.
I'm aware of his past -- I lived in Vancouver for years. What I'm saying is, the fact that he called Canucks' games doesn't make him a Canucks' "homer" (whatever that is).

Ron McLean got his start calling the Flames on radio. Is he a Calgary homer?

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
I'm aware of his past -- I lived in Vancouver for years. What I'm saying is, the fact that he called Canucks' games doesn't make him a Canucks' "homer" (whatever that is).

Ron McLean got his start calling the Flames on radio. Is he a Calgary homer?

Calling Canucks games doesn't make Hughson a homer. Being overly excited when they win and seemingly disappointed when they lose even though he's supposed to be impartial? That does.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I could be wrong but didn't the CBC lose the CFL around they time they cut ties with Cuthbert? it probably was a case his salary was to high just to do hockey games

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
THIS TOPIC HAS. EEN HOT IN MY HOUSE LATELY..AS WE ACTUALLY LISTEN TO NBC WHEN WE WATCH HUGHSON GAMES..
HES TERRIBLE.
CUTHBERT HAS EMOTION.
HUGHSON/SIMPSON ARE LIKE TWO YUPPIE HIPSTERS...BORING.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Calling Canucks games doesn't make Hughson a homer. Being overly excited when they win and seemingly disappointed when they lose even though he's supposed to be impartial? That does.
I've heard the guy call countless Canucks' games and countless other teams' games and I've never noticed this 'homerism'. So either I'm missing what you say is obvious, or you're imagining it.

He's still a pretty bad play-by-play guy, either way, however.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
THIS TOPIC HAS. EEN HOT IN MY HOUSE LATELY..AS WE ACTUALLY LISTEN TO NBC WHEN WE WATCH HUGHSON GAMES..
HES TERRIBLE.
CUTHBERT HAS EMOTION.
HUGHSON/SIMPSON ARE LIKE TWO YUPPIE HIPSTERS...BORING.

Ok grandma, I realize you’re new to the internet, but it’s time to stop shouting.

Underdogoil

Jan 17, 2018

People in Canada outside of Vancouver hate him and don't consider him the best play by play man in hockey.

Reactions: BM14

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Jim Hughson isn't the problem here. Bob Cole should have been bounced out ten years ago at the very least.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
These kinds of accusations are completely baseless unless you did a neutral and longitudinal study (probably requiring years of analysis) that would stand up to peer-review academic study. Which you haven't. I wish people would give up the "so-and-so national broadcaster is a homer" silliness.

Where's your years of analysis displaying his non-Vancouver bias? so your opinion is as equally baseless I guess. I'd venture to say it's even more baseless since humans have a tendency to have bias, so having a bias would be more likely than having none.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I've heard the guy call countless Canucks' games and countless other teams' games and I've never noticed this 'homerism'. So either I'm missing what you say is obvious, or you're imagining it.

I agree with this. I'm not a Canucks fan, in fact, they are, by far, my least favorite Canadian team, but I've never seen a trace of Hughson being a "homer" towards the Canucks.

I have seen, often, on the Maple Leafs board Leafs fans complaining that Hughson favours the Canucks, or, more commonly, that he "dislikes" the Leafs but the examples offered are always a hugh stretch. I don't think he has any bias at all.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Cuthbert is hands down my favorite announcer. You can tell Hughson tries too hard to make the perfect call.

Like Brad Marchand's goal in World Cup. "He shoots he scores, Brad Marchand" after a slight delay. Or when LA won the cup in OT "The Los Angeles Kings have won the Stanely Cup" which he does every year.

He thinks about what he's going to say on his calls rather than calling on emotion. An OT goal to win the cup or a world cup goal with 30 seconds left to take the lead you'd expect something more.

Just a boring announcer with a good voice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad