GDT: WARNING: PHILADELPHIA (7PM)

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I don't know what to say to a depressing bot first thing in the morning after the Caps defied all the odds and make the f***ing playoffs. Anything can happen in the POs...anything. It means at least 4 more Caps games and the youngins gain more experience at a minimum. Please go be miserable elsewhere.
Funny thing is, there was a big red tank crowd here the past 2 years. Salivating after every loss. Obsessing over draft position 2 months into the season. Ready to sell everything and everyone under the sun at any given moment. And i'm sure that they will all be back as soon as something goes wrong in the playoffs. But for now, today must really suck for them. And it feels good.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Since I just lost my team, and New Yorkers who've lived here for decades were always bigger dicks than Cap fans, I'm rooting hard for the Caps. Happy for you all.
As someone who grew up in CT and whose family used to have season tickets to the Whalers, sending you a big hug my dude. And some bourbon.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Funny thing is, there was a big red tank crowd here the past 2 years. Salivating after every loss. Obsessing over draft position 2 months into the season. Ready to sell everything and everyone under the sun at any given moment. And i'm sure that they will all be back as soon as something goes wrong in the playoffs. But for now, today must really suck for them. And it feels good.
They're the worst.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Boy, fighting off hate and saltiness from three teams is much tougher than just beating one in the playoffs. I guess Philly fans have a point about that disallowed goal, but hey you gotta play the whistle and the players did. We've been on the other end of those calls in the past, most teams have.

Let's F*cking Go Babe!
Right…And 1 game doesn’t make the season…My beloved Detroit Red Wings had every chance to make the playoffs, but they found ways to lose multiple times in December and March so they have nobody to blame, but themselves.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Right…And 1 game doesn’t make the season…My beloved Detroit Red Wings had every chance to make the playoffs, but they found ways to lose multiple times in December and March so they have nobody to blame, but themselves.
Red Wings are my 2nd favorite team, used to love watching the Russian Five and pulled for Bob Probert many times during his up and down career. If the Capitals lost their spot to Red Wings I'd be much more okay than if it was to the Flyers or Penguins. You guys have a great young team, kind of sad for Kaner but he's had huge success in the past anyway.

Reactions: FMichael

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
. . . and some of the "tankers" waited well beyond two months into the season to suggest a selling strategy, considering the age and composition of the roster, the underperformance of several of the players (including our star SC-winning goalie), and which guys were on expiring contracts. What was it, a 4.5 percent chance of making the playoffs at one point in January? Selective selling/player movement was called for, and indeed it's what BMac did.

Maybe a few posters wanted "everyone" sold. I wouldn't call them all fans 'cause at least some of them are consistently negative when they come here. But a thoughtful and realistic approach to the Caps' season as it developed meant not planning on the playoffs and selectively paring the roster. Again, which is what the GM did.

I expect that most of those consistently negative posters slither away for awhile, and I hope that anyone who in January was wise enough to see this finish to the RS bet big on their analysis back then. Cheers!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I kind of equating wanting to tank accepting that they'd be fine if Ovi said F this and retired and ending his quest to catch Gretzky. Or, make it take an extra year or 2 as the team goal differential falls even father off a cliff.

I live for playoff hockey and dammit life is too short to play the tank game. Give me a few game 7s over watching Pitt win the helium injected ping pong ball. When we truly suck you'd dont need to tank - it just happens naturally.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Would be fitting if Chuckie became our Halak.
That'd be glorious. I was so irked at Bruce in that series. He insisted on getting Flash out on PP1 and he was getting manhandled at every chance. Sprinkling him on every line randomly during the game thinking he was his superstar back in Hershey. It was even too much for Bruce to watch and he finally benched his little buddy for game 7.

I can't remember who came in for him Scottie Walker ?? and they were shot out of a cannon and helped generate solid chances at ES.

Serial_Derecho

Apr 11, 2006
Charles Town, WV
I was thinking that last night about that 2010 series. A Presidents trophy team hosting a team that wasnt supposed to make the playoffs. Both the Habs and Caps barely made it in, and both severe underdogs. How many times did the Caps when the Presidents Trophy, only to run into that "hot goalie" in the first round. No doubt that Charlie is hot right now.

Not saying the Caps are going to beat the Rangers, but there's lots of similarities there to the 2010 Habs.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
What a game! I will reiterate my admiration for McIlrath. He made himself known in some great ways tonight and even with Sandin and Jensen healthy i want him on this teams playoff roster. He's the only truly intimidating defender we have and apart from blocking shots he dominated peeps.

Also happy to see the 38 and 36 year old team heroes secure the playoff spot for the team. And deeply impressed by pretty much everyone for the effort given. Not to mention, Spencer Carberry should get the coach of the year award. Wooo!

That save by Charlie late in the 2nd reminded me of "THE SAVE" in 2018 by Holtby. Good omen.

Sep 19, 2008
1713378128376.png

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am convinced every cup winning team needs a Dylan type. A big puck eater that can knock forwards down and wont easily break in half. Of note, it seems our 2 smallest defensemen are out injured. AA can fill that void some...

I really think knocking an opponent to the ice is an underated skill that basically creates turnovers odd mans spurs break outs and should be a highly coveted advanced stat... only hitting is all but gone from the game at this point. Damn hard to score dazed sitting on your ass.

Willy ran someone over by the boards ONCE yesterday. Guess what, We got a 2 on 1 from it and IIRC & one of the very few all game.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Monk's cafe is legit for Belgian beer nerds, but everything else in that city is a seething sewer of humanitarian regret...sponsored by Adidas of course.

My wife worked at Monk's when we first met (a good 14 years ago)! Last time we checked, it was still legit. Though the one time I tried their mussels, which is supposed to be their thing, I was not all that impressed.

(But... as someone else mentioned, Philly does have excellent food and beer scenes these days. They just don't have a playoff-bound hockey team at the moment.)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I am convinced every cup winning team needs a Dylan type. A big puck eater that can knock forwards down and wont easily break in half. Of note, it seems our 2 smallest defensemen are out injured. AA can fill that void some...

I really think knocking an opponent to the ice is an underated skill that basically creates turnovers odd mans spurs break outs and should be a highly coveted advanced stat... only hitting is all but gone from the game at this point. Damn hard to score dazed sitting on your ass.

Willy ran someone over by the boards ONCE yesterday. Guess what, We got a 2 on 1 from it and IIRC & one of the very few all game.
Wasn’t McIlrath drafted by the Rags, as well? Or am i misremembering?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad