News: (Warning in OP) Anders Lee "didn't think we'd get to this point". Meeting with other teams.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This is looking to be the musical chairs year where some guys aren't getting a chair. I love Lee as a player but I would be wary on term. If the Isles are going to hardball him, I would go short term deal with a good team. Hope for a key year and then catch the cap in an upswing hopefully in a year or two when GMs are punch drunk and foolish again.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I wish we could talk about the Islanders without talking about the Leafs for once.

That goes out to all the Leafs, Sharks, and Islanders fans in the thread. Holy crap.

ON TOPIC

Have to think there are quite a few teams lining up to pay a 30-40 goal scoring winger to big deal. 7x7 easily and probably a huge mistake if the Islanders let him walk.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Teams arent actually loyal to players especially if they have overstayed their welcome (corey perry), why should players be any more loyal to the teams?

When people say these things, I mean you are right at the end of the day, but you forget one aspect. The fans.

Players forget about the fans. The people who pay their salaries. Usually the fans offer a ton of support to them. They spend their money on their jersies, pay big money to support them at games.

There should IMO be a bit of loyalty to the fans by these guys. It's one thing if you soured the relationship with management like Karlsson did, fans get that. It's different to chase a little bit of extra money with no other considerations.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wish we could talk about the Islanders without talking about the Leafs for once.

That goes out to all the Leafs, Sharks, and Islanders fans in the thread. Holy crap.

ON TOPIC

Have to think there are quite a few teams lining up to pay a 30-40 goal scoring winger to big deal. 7x7 easily and probably a huge mistake if the Islanders let him walk.

The problem is Lee is 29 and his playing style isn’t conducive to predicting his goal output.
He’s an absolute awesome teammate and captain and in front of the net he has some of the best hands I’ve ever seen. But he doesn’t create his own chances and isn’t a sniper. He relays mostly on being a net front presence and getting his goals. His style he could end the year with 20-40 goals. That’s a huge range. He’s not an assist guy at all. That’s tough to commit that term and money to a guy that realistically probably won’t consistently hit 30 goals for much longer if ever again.

Yes, his past 3 years goal totals says he should get paid but that’s on paper.

I’m a cap world you can’t be stuck paying a guy big bucks for goals and he’s not scoring at that pace. He doesn’t kill penalties and he’s not a center. We already have useless Andrew Ladd as dead weight. Can’t afford to miss on another contract.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would not like to see him on Hawks. No room for him on the Wild, unfortunately....all they seem to have are LW's.

Lee spent years scuffling in the AHL and elsewhere. He's earned a right to get the best situation for himself. I'm guessing that he was offered under 7M for 6 years or less, and decided to see what else is out there. No fault to either Lee, or the NYI. If I was the NYI's I would want him at 5/32M, while Lee probably wants 6/42M.

10M is a lot to leave on the table.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
maybe Lou isn't good at being a GM anymore. Lee is a really good player and a team leader for a turnaround year. It sure seems like Lou struggles with his priorities in terms of salary

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Has there been any rumours as to what term/dollar value Lee is looking for?

At the end of the day, putting the puck in the net is ultimately what gets you paid. Lee only averages 50 points per 82 games played, but can certainly finish better than most. Goals = $$$

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The problem is Lee is 29 and his playing style isn’t conducive to predicting his goal output.

Part of it has to do with what kind of PP a team wants to run. I think that's part of the problem right now between Lee and NYI. On the PP, Lee is a dedicated net front presence, and he's not particularly good moving the puck from below the goal line on the powerplay. That limits the number of looks a team can show on the PP. Of course, there's an obvious benefit to his net-front presence.

The question is, how long does a team want to be committed to that particular look? While Anders Lee is better at tips and rebounds than Evander Kane or JVR, both of the other players have more well rounded games.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Has there been any rumours as to what term/dollar value Lee is looking for?

At the end of the day, putting the puck in the net is ultimately what gets you paid. Lee only averages 50 points per 82 games played, but can certainly finish better than most. Goals = $$$
Probably 7x7. The issue has been term with him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He’s an absolute awesome teammate and captain and in front of the net he has some of the best hands I’ve ever seen. But he doesn’t create his own chances and isn’t a sniper. He relays mostly on being a net front presence and getting his goals. His style he could end the year with 20-40 goals. That’s a huge range. He’s not an assist guy at all. That’s tough to commit that term and money to a guy that realistically probably won’t consistently hit 30 goals for much longer if ever again.

I’m a cap world you can’t be stuck paying a guy big bucks for goals and he’s not scoring at that pace. He doesn’t kill penalties and he’s not a center. We already have useless Andrew Ladd as dead weight. Can’t afford to miss on another contract.

Well, sounds like a perfectly replacement for Pat Maroon lol. At least Lee can skate.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Every team has a poor contract. IMO, you overpay your best players. Everything Isles fans have said is that he is super important. One of the best leaders, best players. I know he played a big part in getting the guys to buy into Trotz system and helped lead them to a playoff win.

Pay the man. I get not overpaying an Eberle, but Barzal and these guys all are watching. You can't undervalue what having a vet with that kind of leadership on your team does for young players, and the Isles have a lot of those.

Coach isn't enough. I'm sure Trotz appreciates having a guy that respected being able to deliver his message in a more digestible way to the team.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I think so yeah.... they have a lot of cap room and they shed another 9 mill after this year with bogo and scandella walking

They will also need to re-up Reinhart, who will cash in big time with another similar season to the one he just had. Another example of a bridge deal not paying off for the team.

I forget what Sam was looking for long term, but that number would certainly look great next summer when it comes time to negotiate. Unfortunately for the Sabres, that number is long gone.

Then Dahlin the year after, who will be 8 figures.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Part of it has to do with what kind of PP a team wants to run. I think that's part of the problem right now between Lee and NYI. On the PP, Lee is a dedicated net front presence, and he's not particularly good moving the puck from below the goal line on the powerplay. That limits the number of looks a team can show on the PP. Of course, there's an obvious benefit to his net-front presence.

The question is, how long does a team want to be committed to that particular look? While Anders Lee is better at tips and rebounds than Evander Kane or JVR, both of the other players have more well rounded games.

This was my point

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Every team has a poor contract. IMO, you overpay your best players. Everything Isles fans have said is that he is super important. One of the best leaders, best players. I know he played a big part in getting the guys to buy into Trotz system and helped lead them to a playoff win.

Pay the man. I get not overpaying an Eberle, but Barzal and these guys all are watching. You can't undervalue what having a vet with that kind of leadership on your team does for young players, and the Isles have a lot of those.

Coach isn't enough. I'm sure Trotz appreciates having a guy that respected being able to deliver his message in a more digestible way to the team.

The problem is we don’t know what the asking price is or what’s being discussed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I would love to add him in TB even if we didn't use him in front of the net (we have no "net front presence" on the PP because Brayden Point, who plays that spot, stays closer to the slot, and led the league in PP goals last year). I feel like he could add 25 5v5 goals for us though, if put in the right situation (with Kucherov and/or Point). If he could boost our 5v5 scoring in the playoffs, he would be a massive help.

We'd have to move another contract to make it work, obviously, but I'm looking at Gourde as a guy I'd replace with Lee in a heartbeat. And then we could pay whatever we have to pay to get Callahan off the books to make it work.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I would love to add him in TB even if we didn't use him in front of the net (we have no "net front presence" on the PP because Brayden Point, who plays that spot, stays closer to the slot, and led the league in PP goals last year). I feel like he could add 25 5v5 goals for us though, if put in the right situation (with Kucherov and/or Point). If he could boost our 5v5 scoring in the playoffs, he would be a massive help.

Thank you for illustrating my point re power play styles. NYI's style with a dedicated net-front is archaic.

That said, signing Lee as a purely 5V5 asset would be a big risk. He's not particularly good defensively, on breakouts, or in the neutral zone. Once the puck is in deep, it's another story. But you have to get it there.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lou is doing the isles a favour. giving a 29 year old power forward a huge 7 or 8 year contract is objectively stupid. it is not worth the damage it does to the team not very far down the road when reality occurs.

lou is apparently one of the gms willing to face that reality and also willing to take the heat for making a hard decision. too many gms are busy trying to make their bones or keep their jobs to grapple with how out of synch the ufa market is with cap space reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00