Post-Game Talk (GBU): Want To Buy 2nd and 3rd line

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Botts cut bate with Matt Moulson last year after 14 games... hoping that’s his magic number and we only have one game to go....

Okposo
Tage
Nelson

For

Olofsson
Nylander
Pilut

Who adds ??? :sarcasm:

Reactions: sabremike

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
That same guy (Berkshire) has Eichel as the 10th best centre in the NHL.

Nice! That sounds about right, particularly if he can keep becoming more defensively competent, despite the gaffe against Calgary.

I’m going to assume this was meant to show struck up, from the previous back and forth, so I do apologize if I’m incorrect.

But here’s the thing, those of us who complain about Eichel’s game or contract to some degree, think he is a top 15ish center. We complain because it is evident with his physical tool set there is so much more available in the tank. Some of us see the adjustments he could make to get into the top 5, and it’s frustrating.

Just like how other people get frustrated with Reinhart because they think he has more to give.

Small difference is nobody that criticizes Eichel thinks we should trade him for a 2nd rounder and a random prospect, unlike the comments for Reinhart.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Skinner's combined 5v5 p/60 through 15-16 and 16-17 was 2.14. A whopping 0.01 greater than what Eichel has had in 17-18 and 18-19 (so far). Skinner's OZS were also more tilted than Eichel's (70, 65 versus 60, 60)

Not to mention the fact that we're going back 3 years for this..

Any claim of Skinner carrying Eichel so far is just flat out wrong.

I would hope he has better underlying stats considering he's started in the offensive zone 70% of the time in the last 3 years.
Yeah, why would anyone think Skinner is driving the bus when Eichel is a 48% attempts/14% goals player in other situations.

Reactions: Aladyyn

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Without commenting on any particular player--I do not see anyone outside our goalies who is surpassing expectations when drafted or when signed to a Sabres contract. Lots the other way. Quite vexing don't you know....

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
lol ... wait ...lol

Thats all based on ****... Mass produced analytic bull****.

Real hockey people not nerds

Haha cmon beerz, you know that is fools gold. He finds a “real” hockey guy and that will be only one guy, etc, yada yada.

What is funny tho, is that you think a tv guy like Craig Button is a real hockey guy, insert your choice here, but the 30 something who watches endless amounts of games and breaks down all the plays of this sport like it’s real science, isn’t a real hockey guy....

Dan bylsma is a real hockey guy, and he is a moron.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Haha cmon beerz, you know that is fools gold. He finds a “real” hockey guy and that will be only one guy, etc, yada yada.

What is funny tho, is that you think a tv guy like Craig Button is a real hockey guy, insert your choice here, but the 30 something who watches endless amounts of games and breaks down all the plays of this sport like it’s real science, isn’t a real hockey guy....

Dan bylsma is a real hockey guy, and he is a moron.

Fair enough .. I wasn't actually going for literal anyways.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Without commenting on any particular player--I do not see anyone outside our goalies who is surpassing expectations when drafted or when signed to a Sabres contract. Lots the other way. Quite vexing don't you know....

Skinner is.

But I agree with your overall thoughts as well.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Yeah, why would anyone think Skinner is driving the bus when Eichel is a 48% attempts/14% goals player in other situations.

Cause your claim that Eichel needs Skinner to produce hasn't held up at all.

I've just literally shown that Skinner isn't a more efficient producer at 5v5 after you made those claims.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sure, but I'd rather have a broken 4th line than a sandbagged 3rd.
I'd rather feed the so-called 4th line 3rd line proportionate minutes.

Is ERod gonna be the difference maker for this team? Between all playing good or all playing bad? Nope.

Yea I want him to play too. But I’m not pissed off he hasn’t been either. To each his own. :dunno:
ERod can slot in any position on any line, without being out of place, help play on any line in any role, and works his ass off every game.
You cannot say the same about players lower on the depth chart. I recognize his upside is likely 40 points in a full season. He is no miracle savior. But no one lower on the depth chart is, either.

It would be nice, maybe some would say "doing your job" if media would separately ask Housley and Rodrigues why ERod hasn't played, and directly ask what aspect of the newborn, if any, factored on playing time. And then compared notes for truthiness.

I don't understand why he (#37) didn't start in Rochester. He has not adjusted to limited time and space and often gets out-muscled.
I've noticed in every game opponents are giving him welcome-to-the-NHL shots several times a game after the whistle blows. He's taking those, but he does need to get stronger. He's listed as a lot bigger than he plays (and doesn't seem to have a low center of gravity, which might also explain why he gets leveraged somewhat easily. I am optimistic for the future, and agree with the Rochester comment, but it was a foregone conclusion when they burned an ELC year that he'd be up this season.

Mind blown 26 and 27 threw me for a loop
As you noted, the confusion was between Sabrefan26 and sabrefan27. Certainly understandable, and not as egregious as say, the difference between confusing #26 Thomas Vanek and #27 Joe Kowal.
Sure seems like you did...
I took Struck's comment to be related to RW's only, FWIW.

Game was frustrating but that 3rd period was beautiful. I'm not blasting anyone to the sun yet but we really need to get secondary scoring in a hurry. Put Vic next to Mitts and Reinhart.
Tuned in for the 3rd (don't know if I'll watch the DVR of the 1st and 2nd), thought similarly to you that it was entertaining.

The Good:
Saw two teams playing up-tempo, several odd-man breaks both ways, lots of shots, lots of saves, quality goaltending both ways, and saw the Sabres claw back.

The Bad:
As another poster noted, far too many Sabre shots were from wide angles down low, in particular to Anderson's left, below the face-off dot and outside the slot.

The Ugly:
Why am I occasionally getting adds for women's pee-proof underwear on this site in the right margin?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We're ~1/6th through the season. My view:

Exceeded expectations: Hutton, Ullmark, Bogo (limited sample), Nelson (after pressbox stint and then paired with Dahlin), McCabe, [Larsson, Pominville, Girgs (each separately and as a unit)].

Met Expectations (because they were high): Dahlin, Eichel, Skinner

Met Expectations (because they were middle): Risto (I continue to expect the inconsistency until his minutes are reduced), Reinhart, Okposo, Rodrigues, Berglund

Met expectations (because they were low): Sobotka, Housley, Beaulieu, Thompson, Mittelstadt,

Have not met expectations: Scandella, Sheary (has really disappeared after Gm#1, both on the scoresheet and on the eye test, maybe due for a breakout?),

Had no expectations: Elie (had only seen him play once before joining BUF)

Also, I still prefer RJ to Dunleavy by too wide of a margin. RJ's cadence flows better, whereas Dunleavy's emotion seems manufactured and terse.

Reactions: sabrebuild

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Part of Reinhart's kickstart last year was his extended time with Ryan after spending a month centering Zemgus/Moulson/Griffith. Like you say, when Sam is making GOOD players better, the team and Sam see results, versus expecting him to carry guys like Crosby can.

And the issue is we have no established good players that aren't being taken up by Jack right now, and Sam wasn't clicking with Jack, so we don't really have anything to do with him and I suspect he won't see the same level of offensive resurgence because of it (Though he really needs to be back on PP1)
Probably not a good idea to give away the good player he was clicking with then?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'd rather feed the so-called 4th line 3rd line proportionate minutes.

ERod can slot in any position on any line, without being out of place, help play on any line in any role, and works his ass off every game.
You cannot say the same about players lower on the depth chart. I recognize his upside is likely 40 points in a full season. He is no miracle savior. But no one lower on the depth chart is, either.

It would be nice, maybe some would say "doing your job" if media would separately ask Housley and Rodrigues why ERod hasn't played, and directly ask what aspect of the newborn, if any, factored on playing time. And then compared notes for truthiness.

I've noticed in every game opponents are giving him welcome-to-the-NHL shots several times a game after the whistle blows. He's taking those, but he does need to get stronger. He's listed as a lot bigger than he plays (and doesn't seem to have a low center of gravity, which might also explain why he gets leveraged somewhat easily. I am optimistic for the future, and agree with the Rochester comment, but it was a foregone conclusion when they burned an ELC year that he'd be up this season.

As you noted, the confusion was between Sabrefan26 and sabrefan27. Certainly understandable, and not as egregious as say, the difference between confusing #26 Thomas Vanek and #27 Joe Kowal.
I took Struck's comment to be related to RW's only, FWIW.

Tuned in for the 3rd (don't know if I'll watch the DVR of the 1st and 2nd), thought similarly to you that it was entertaining.

The Good:
Saw two teams playing up-tempo, several odd-man breaks both ways, lots of shots, lots of saves, quality goaltending both ways, and saw the Sabres claw back.

The Bad:
As another poster noted, far too many Sabre shots were from wide angles down low, in particular to Anderson's left, below the face-off dot and outside the slot.

The Ugly:
Why am I occasionally getting adds for women's pee-proof underwear on this site in the right margin?
Re: ERod: this roster lacks players who don't flat out suck and aren't useless the way Dracula lacks a suntan. Putting one in the press box (particularly for a guy who is ebola on skates) is indefensible and beyond stupid.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
We're ~1/6th through the season. My view:

Exceeded expectations: Hutton, Ullmark, Bogo (limited sample), Nelson (after pressbox stint and then paired with Dahlin), McCabe, [Larsson, Pominville, Girgs (each separately and as a unit)].

Met Expectations (because they were high): Dahlin, Eichel, Skinner

Met Expectations (because they were middle): Risto (I continue to expect the inconsistency until his minutes are reduced), Reinhart, Okposo, Rodrigues, Berglund

Met expectations (because they were low): Sobotka, Housley, Beaulieu, Thompson, Mittelstadt,

Have not met expectations: Scandella, Sheary (has really disappeared after Gm#1, both on the scoresheet and on the eye test, maybe due for a breakout?),

Had no expectations: Elie (had only seen him play once before joining BUF)

Also, I still prefer RJ to Dunleavy by too wide of a margin. RJ's cadence flows better, whereas Dunleavy's emotion seems manufactured and terse.

Nice... I like this analysis.

And Dunleavy is a terrible interviewer too...... Zero insightful questions.

Give either Marty or Brian those assignments and it'll be way more entertaining!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad