Post-Game Talk (GBU): Want To Buy 2nd and 3rd line

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Also please stop pretending Mittelstadt is some saviour who just needs help. He's not a good player right now. 4th liner if that.

I don't understand why he didn't start in Rochester. He has not adjusted to limited time and space and often gets out-muscled.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Yeah how dare we call them out for not showing up for 40 minutes

So much fun

The first two periods were way closer than you're indicating despite the score. Shots and scoring chances were nearly even just couldn't quite finish on some prime opportunities. Anderson had an excellent game and was tough to beat.

How often do we get 50 shots in friggin game? "Not showing up" is a gross exaggeration and another hilarious hot take.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Also please stop pretending Mittelstadt is some saviour who just needs help. He's not a good player right now. 4th liner if that.
i agree that he is no savior, but he is better than a 4th liner. He is a young kid learning to adjust his game to the NHL level. I thought he and Reinhart had a few decent shifts with each other, until Sheary would kill the play.
I think Housley is doing a good job of sheltering Mitts minutes, but also giving him a good look on the PP. Even last night, i thought Mittlestadt should have been out in the Final minute of the EN.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Berglund is a positive CORSI player while starting only 21% OZ. Reinhart is negative while starting 63%. These are still very small sample sizes, but it's not good.

I wonder if he got hurt after scoring that goal late.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
The first two periods were way closer than you're indicating despite the score. Shots and scoring chances were nearly even just couldn't quite finish on some prime opportunities. Anderson had an excellent game and was tough to beat.

How often do we get 50 shots in friggin game? "Not showing up" is a gross exaggeration and another hilarious hot take.

Sorry

50 shots

THEY PLAYED f***IN GREAT

Plan the parade

Risto for MVP

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Berglund is a positive CORSI player while starting only 21% OZ. Reinhart is negative while starting 63%. These are still very small sample sizes, but it's not good.

Funny how it swaps when you use expected goals instead of corsi.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

This is a good example of while RelT stats are valuable. Reinhart’s linemates are unplayable without him, and become low-event breakeven players with him.

It’d be cool if we tried to play Sam with players who aren’t complete f***ing garbage, but that would involve the front office admitting they botched the O’Reilly trade.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Funny how it swaps when you use expected goals instead of corsi.
Hell, just look at what happens when players like Sobotka and Mittelstadt don't center Reinhart.

Casey becomes a 48% possession player (largely due to Skinner’s hand holding) and Vlad is in the 30s.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I've actually never seen a player that has had more excuses made for him on this board than Reinhart... use to be more voices but I think some are slowly coming to the realization that Sam is what he is.. a nice player but extremely limited in how he can impact a game.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I've actually never seen a player that has had more excuses made for him on this board than Reinhart... use to be more voices but I think some are slowly coming to the realization that Sam is what he is.. a nice player but extremely limited in how he can impact a game.
I’m good with a top 20 player at his position that “is who he is.”

Reactions: Aladyyn

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
This is a good example of while RelT stats are valuable. Reinhart’s linemates are unplayable without him, and become low-event breakeven players with him.

It’d be cool if we tried to play Sam with players who aren’t complete ****ing garbage, but that would involve the front office admitting they botched the O’Reilly trade.
Part of Reinhart's kickstart last year was his extended time with Ryan after spending a month centering Zemgus/Moulson/Griffith. Like you say, when Sam is making GOOD players better, the team and Sam see results, versus expecting him to carry guys like Crosby can.

And the issue is we have no established good players that aren't being taken up by Jack right now, and Sam wasn't clicking with Jack, so we don't really have anything to do with him and I suspect he won't see the same level of offensive resurgence because of it (Though he really needs to be back on PP1)

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Hell, just look at what happens when players like Sobotka and Mittelstadt don't center Reinhart.

Casey becomes a 48% possession player (largely due to Skinner’s hand holding) and Vlad is in the 30s.

I thought the sheary-sobotka-Reinhart line was decent together for a 4 or 5 game stretch... Just a gut feel, I haven't dug too deep into the stats outside of corsi on this opinion, or gone back to take a second look at the video...

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
It was only closely contested when Ottawa decided to sit on their lead in the third. They controlled the first two periods, easily.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
One trade too early before one player is ready. Now center is a weakness until Mittelstadt is ready as it infortunately shows in games.

steveoath

GHC 141
Jul 31, 2018
Is there anyway to see the location of Hutton's conceded goals? Sens seemed to stack at his glove side last night and I'm curious if they'd noticed something about his technique or tendancies.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
It was only closely contested when Ottawa decided to sit on their lead in the third. They controlled the first two periods, easily.

scoring chances were about even through the first 2 periods. We didn't score on ours, while Ottawa did, AND they scored on a dump in off of Hutton's rear end.

We outplayed Ottawa last night. Didn't get the result

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Part of Reinhart's kickstart last year was his extended time with Ryan after spending a month centering Zemgus/Moulson/Griffith. Like you say, when Sam is making GOOD players better, the team and Sam see results, versus expecting him to carry guys like Crosby can.

And the issue is we have no established good players that aren't being taken up by Jack right now, and Sam wasn't clicking with Jack, so we don't really have anything to do with him and I suspect he won't see the same level of offensive resurgence because of it (Though he really needs to be back on PP1)

I'm not worried about Sam, he's saddled with an abnormally low on-ice Sh% at the moment, it will go up. He's still in the right areas and making smart plays, which is what he needs to do.

but there are two things that bother me, 1) you can definitely see when he is more actively moving his feet and when he's not, and it has nothing to do with his linemates. I expected more consistency from him after his contract situation. And 2) When his line works it's ass off to create a chance, f***ing bury it:

upload_2018-11-2_13-37-23.png

This chance against Calgary needs to go in, it puts the game away and gives us 2 points. I say the same the thing when it happens to Eichel. Hell, I was screaming at my tv when Skinner didn't bury his 1 on 1 against Anderson last night in what would have been the GTG.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
2 fluky goals and a huge disparity in power plays made the game look much worse than it really was.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
It’s almost like Sam’s second most frequent linemate is a 35% Corsi player who is only in the lineup because of the dumbass trade that brought him here.
Too bad he blew his chance to produce anything while he was on Jack's line, so now he's stuck with other guys struggling just as much as he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad