Post-Game Talk (GBU): Want To Buy 2nd and 3rd line

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I thought the sheary-sobotka-Reinhart line was decent together for a 4 or 5 game stretch... Just a gut feel, I haven't dug too deep into the stats outside of corsi on this opinion, or gone back to take a second look at the video...
Sheary-Sobotka-Reinhart was indeed effective, but it was the kind of safe, vaguely positive experience that sours this board on Reinhart.

Of course, why that’s a Sam problem and not a byproduct of his otherwise-unplayable linemate remains a mystery to me.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Too bad he blew his chance to produce anything while he was on Jack's line, so now he's stuck with other guys struggling just as much as he is.
The same Jack Eichel who needed Skinner and a 70% OZS to do anything offensively his own self?

This team’s only good scoring lines involve 53 being force-fed offensive zone time.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Part of Reinhart's kickstart last year was his extended time with Ryan after spending a month centering Zemgus/Moulson/Griffith. Like you say, when Sam is making GOOD players better, the team and Sam see results, versus expecting him to carry guys like Crosby can.

And the issue is we have no established good players that aren't being taken up by Jack right now, and Sam wasn't clicking with Jack, so we don't really have anything to do with him and I suspect he won't see the same level of offensive resurgence because of it (Though he really needs to be back on PP1)
If only we weren’t healthy scratching the player who helped Sam turn his game around last season.

Reinhart, Rodrigues, and one of Wilson/Pouliot were a solid depth line last winter.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The same Jack Eichel who needed Skinner and a 70% OZS to do anything offensively his own self?

This team’s only good scoring lines involve 53 being force-fed offensive zone time.

Oh my god.

Eichel produced for years without Jeff Skinner, but now we're pretending like Eichel needs Skinner?

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Skinner didn't even have a goal until he was put with Eichel right?

Think he had one.

I'm not saying Skinner needs Eichel, but the narrative that Eichel is being carried by Skinner is something I've heard around here twice now, and it's nothing short of dumb.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Oh my god.

Eichel produced for years without Jeff Skinner, but now we're pretending like Eichel needs Skinner?
Skinner has been the more effective ES scorer for their careers, and Jack didn’t start producing 5v5 until his zone deployment tilted hard towards the offensive zone.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
What story? I'm pretty sure there are 0 people who had any issues with how Eichel played in this game?
Multiple people complained about Eichel in the GDT. They also compare Reinhart to him and say Reinhart makes him better. Does Pominville make him better too, because it seems Eichel is the only reason why certain players get points is when they're with him and when they get taken off the line, they become invisible.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Skinner has been the more effective ES scorer for their careers, and Jack didn’t start producing 5v5 until his zone deployment tilted hard towards the offensive zone.

Since the start of last season:

Eichel: 5v5 p/60 = 2.13
Skinner: 5v5 p/60 = 1.91

Skinner had a 71% OZS start last year. 78% so far this year.

Eichel had 60 last year, 60 this year.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Since the start of last season:

Eichel: 5v5 p/60 = 2.13
Skinner: 5v5 p/60 = 1.91

Skinner had a 71% OZS start last year. 78% so far this year.

Eichel had 60 last year, 60 this year.
And the two seasons before that, you get a pair of better P/60s than any Eichel year.

Skinner’s underlying and impact stats are also superior.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
And the two seasons before that, you get a pair of better P/60s than any Eichel year.

Skinner’s underlying and impact stats are also superior.

Skinner's combined 5v5 p/60 through 15-16 and 16-17 was 2.14. A whopping 0.01 greater than what Eichel has had in 17-18 and 18-19 (so far). Skinner's OZS were also more tilted than Eichel's (70, 65 versus 60, 60)

Not to mention the fact that we're going back 3 years for this..

Any claim of Skinner carrying Eichel so far is just flat out wrong.

I would hope he has better underlying stats considering he's started in the offensive zone 70% of the time in the last 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->