Online Series: WandaVision - Spring 2021 on Disney+

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Loved the first two episodes and was creepier then I imagined, really looking forward to where this goes

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I liked them both! Quirky and a change of pace from the movies. Eager to see where the show takes us.

Reactions: WillyNy

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Some forced Easter Eggs as well
When that toaster commercial was playing, I was thinking “please don’t be a Stark product”
Well, a few seconds later “made by Stark industries

Although I did like rhe Gromm Reaper helmet in the animated intro

A picture of Wonderman (Grimm Reaper’s brother) can be also seen in the background of a featurette of the show

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I love the 50's sitcom vibe

I don't. It is what turned me off when the previews first came out, but I gave it a shot and still don't like it after watching the first episode. I am sure there is a reason for it but it screams gimmicky and is unappealing to me.

I wanted to be excited for it but my expectations were low going into it and unfortunately, it delivered on that.

Edit: just watched the second episode and enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Not a fan of the weekly releases. And I'm even less of a fan for weekly episodes that have around 15 minutes of the actually story and 10+ minutes of opening and ending credits.

Weekly episodes were great in a time of episodic storytelling where you a got self contained story. Now that almost every show is long form storytelling, I feel weekly episodes are a disservice to the audience and ultimately the creators at large. If they want to do weekly, than 2-3 episodes spaced out every week makes more sense. Maybe it's my impatience talking but shows today strive to be essentially a long movie, and people should be able to experience that at their own pace.

This is obviously a corporate decision to keep people signed on as this will be released in the span of almost 2 months.

As for the episodes themselves. I'm impressed with the attention to detail on the production and cinematography level. The acting is great as well. It truly feels like an old school tv show. The mode was the seller. Not really much happening story wise as obviously these episodes were more of a tease to a much bigger story.

It's got me hooked. But if they keep releasing 30-35 minute episodes with almost 10-14 minutes of credits, I'm going to be annoyed if they keep using 25% of the runtime for credits. Second episode was better though.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not a fan of the weekly releases. And I'm even less of a fan for weekly episodes that have around 15 minutes of the actually story and 10+ minutes of opening and ending credits.

Weekly episodes were great in a time of episodic storytelling where you a got self contained story. Now that almost every show is long form storytelling, I feel weekly episodes are a disservice to the audience and ultimately the creators at large. If they want to do weekly, than 2-3 episodes spaced out every week makes more sense. Maybe it's my impatience talking but shows today strive to be essentially a long movie, and people should be able to experience that at their own pace.

This is obviously a corporate decision to keep people signed on as this will be released in the span of almost 2 months.

As for the episodes themselves. I'm impressed with the attention to detail on the production and cinematography level. The acting is great as well. It truly feels like an old school tv show. The mode was the seller. Not really much happening story wise as obviously these episodes were more of a tease to a much bigger story.

It's got me hooked. But if they keep releasing 30-35 minute episodes with almost 10-14 minutes of credits, I'm going to be annoyed if they keep using 25% of the runtime for credits. Second episode was better though.

A lot of the people that work covering the entertainment industry think weekly releases are better because it keeps people talking about the episodes, keeps up the buzz, whether it's online or in real life. I'd prefer two episodes a week but I'm fine with one episode a week because the seasons are short.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Ehhhh, I have mixed thoughts about this.

1. I absolutely appreciate their attention to detail in recreating the 50's and 60's sitcom look and I get that what we're watching is some figment of Wanda's imagination or some sort of illusion or hallucination. But it doesn't mean I'm particularly interested in watching an old style sitcom (though again, I'm very impressed at how well they've recreated the aesthetics of that era, right down to the aspect ratio of the "show" and style of humour). Whenever Wanda realizes something is wrong, I'm thinking FINALLY, we're getting somewhere.

2. I don't think I can watch this on a weekly basis; I think I'll wait until all the episodes are released or queue them up in 3 episode batches. From watching the first two episodes, I'm getting very little payoff watching a style of television I don't enjoy with no reward at the end. At least by watching the show in batches, I'll (hopefully) feel like I'm getting somewhere at the end. Plus I'm sure I'll start enjoying it more once we start seeing the 70's, 80's, and 90's style television.

3. Seeing Marvel release another 30-60 second WandaVision video for what seems like everyday for the last few weeks on Youtube was getting annoying.

4. Big props to Marvel for trying something a little outside the box with this show. It's just not appealing to me right now.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
A lot of the people that work covering the entertainment industry think weekly releases are better because it keeps people talking about the episodes, keeps up the buzz, whether it's online or in real life. I'd prefer two episodes a week but I'm fine with one episode a week because the seasons are short.

I think an episode every 3 or 4 days makes more sense and is a good compromise. We don't need a whole week to talk about a 20-25 minute episodes. But that's just me. Ultimately, I don't want to theorize or predict the show on a weekly basis, I'd rather just experience the story. Weekly release is good for people who have money at stake, but while weekly releases worked for Mandalorian, I feel audiences watching it at their own pace seems like the way WandaVision was meant to be experienced.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I thought it was great. First episode gave me so much Dick Van Dyke show vibes I loved it. I do think this would work better as a binge watch rather than a weekly release, but I suspect that the ongoing mystery will become more prevalent with each episode. We'll see, but so far so good.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
About the commercials, saw this at the Superherohype forums:
they essentially represent Wanda's traumas. Stark toaster ticking like the bomb that killed her parents. Strücker watch and Hyrda for manipulating her and her brother into joining them. I picked up on them being sort of in chronological order but not the trauma aspect. So next is Pietro dying, SHIELD hunting her, Thanos killing Vision?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Thought the first two episodes were great. Amazing nods to the MCU and hidden gems that will slowly reveal what is going on with her as the episodes progress.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Caught up with the first two episodes and I really enjoy it. It's a very different type of show, but it gives me a feeling of a show like Russian Doll. There's a mystery to crack, but, you're generally just having fun on the ride.

It's also fun to be back in the MCU. I don't mind the weekly format

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

I agree. I will wait until there are 3 to 5 episodes out and then check it out.

Sep 19, 2008
The format is fine. Other streaming shows have weekly releases so you can't just binge it all.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Ehhhh, I have mixed thoughts about this.

1. I absolutely appreciate their attention to detail in recreating the 50's and 60's sitcom look and I get that what we're watching is some figment of Wanda's imagination or some sort of illusion or hallucination. But it doesn't mean I'm particularly interested in watching an old style sitcom (though again, I'm very impressed at how well they've recreated the aesthetics of that era, right down to the aspect ratio of the "show" and style of humour). Whenever Wanda realizes something is wrong, I'm thinking FINALLY, we're getting somewhere.

2. I don't think I can watch this on a weekly basis; I think I'll wait until all the episodes are released or queue them up in 3 episode batches. From watching the first two episodes, I'm getting very little payoff watching a style of television I don't enjoy with no reward at the end. At least by watching the show in batches, I'll (hopefully) feel like I'm getting somewhere at the end. Plus I'm sure I'll start enjoying it more once we start seeing the 70's, 80's, and 90's style television.

3. Seeing Marvel release another 30-60 second WandaVision video for what seems like everyday for the last few weeks on Youtube was getting annoying.

4. Big props to Marvel for trying something a little outside the box with this show. It's just not appealing to me right now.

You articulated my thoughts much better than I ever could :laugh:

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Well, I can't say I love it (yet), but it certainly is refreshing and surprising. I'm cautious because the disruptive elements (the questionning at dinner and the wife's reaction to her husband's trouble, the radio messages) really could either fall flat or turn amazing (and I mean to the level of lynchian anguish). It's good to see the MCU expanding in more creative forms, that's for sure.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Something that's annoying me now is how Youtube fan culture is basically just '42 things you might have missed' or '12 easter eggs' or 'live reaction'. Where's the actual discussion on the show in terms of thoughts and reviews? All click-baity overly detailed fluff.

I can't see my friends in person to talk about this stuff right now and I can't really even see it on Youtube either unless I stumble on the right podcast and comic book/superhero podcasts are run by insufferable people when it comes to having to listen to.

Anyways yeah bring on the 70s episode.

Reactions: Zeppo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Something that's annoying me now is how Youtube fan culture is basically just '42 things you might have missed' or '12 easter eggs' or 'live reaction'. Where's the actual discussion on the show in terms of thoughts and reviews? All click-baity overly detailed fluff.

I can't see my friends in person to talk about this stuff right now and I can't really even see it on Youtube either unless I stumble on the right podcast and comic book/superhero podcasts are run by insufferable people when it comes to having to listen to.

Not sure if it's any good and I haven't had interest in watching the show myself, but this popped into my Youtube feed from a non-comic-channel that generally isn't insufferable. Maybe what you're looking for?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

There are Youtube channels that analyze what they reacted to in detail. One of them is Blind Wave:

They spend far longer talking about the episodes than they spend reacting to it.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’m gonna lay out my theory here for the end:

In the comics she says “no more mutants” to kill off a large chunk of the mutants so I’m gonna say she says something slightly different here but to the same effect:

she says “no more hiding” this allows

1:forces the big bad of the Wanda vision series (mephisto???) to be forced out of the shadows into confrontation with her.

2: the MCU to explain where the mutants have been all along - (in hiding cause of Xavier and cerebro blocking everyone’s minds from seeing mutants/remembering encounters) - you could go further and have the split between magneto and Xavier come from a mutant or two dying cause of Thanos and Xavier still pushing for them to hide - while magneto doesn’t want to hide anymore changing his position from before thanos when he agreed to hiding.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Man... I'm absolutely hooked.

This really seems like it is going to have an absolutely incredible payoff towards the end of the season for whatever is being foreshadowed/alluded to right now.

Have a feeling it's going to have major implications on the rest of the MCU as well.

Ive seen rumblings that Scarlet Witch might be the Big Bad in Multiverse of Madness - either she loses her mind with grief over what happened to Vision, or she's being controlled/manipulated. My guess is whatever's happening here will segue directly into that.

Reactions: WillyNy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad