Walter Gretzky dies at 82

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Probably not, and the current ones that are famous tend to be for the wrong reasons. Not Walt. Only one is really Gordie, who is more famous for being the all-time great who got to play with his two kids.
Walter was much more than just “waynes” dad to the hockey world.

the amount of stuff he did for charities is remarkable.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It feels like everyone has a Walter Gretzky story, the legend touched so many.

My story with him is, back on my birthday in 2013 a bunch of us went to Wayne Gretzkys to watch the Leaf game before heading to the Bier Market on the Esplanade. I believe it was a Thursday, so the restaurant wasn't that busy. About 15 minutes after we arrived Walter strolls in with who I assume was a caretaker. Stopping to say hi to each and every staff member.

After Walter ate his soup and sandwich, we decided it was time to go say hi to a legend. He was the nicest man I've met. Asking why we were out someone mentioned it was my birthday. Seeing it was an important night, Walter asked if he could join our table, much to the shagrin of his handler. We obviously said yes. Over the next 2 hours or so, he told so many amazing Wayne stories, and in between those asking each of us some really meaningful questions. As proud as he was if Wayne, he was interested in our lives as well. At the end of the night he pulled out a note pad with a pre-written message and signed them for the whole group. He also took pictures with us all, as a group and individualy.

RIP to a Canadian Legend.

Wow... another cool story! That's awesome!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
dude was acting like a regular hockey fan during the 2002 olympics. Just a old man with a young heart enjoying life. Rest in peace.

GoGoSens

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of years ago I met him at a Junior B game in Brantford. He carried around a note pad with his name on it to give people autographs, I walked upto him and got one he was so friendly and just a wonderful person. The world was a better place when he was alive and its a major loss to Canada to loose such an amazing person. My prayers go out to the Gretzky family and to my fellow Canadians on this day. The world needs more people like Walter Gretzky.

RIP

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I remember him in Brantford arena during my kids tournies over the yrs. He would sit there and sign everything, such a humble guy. My kid got a few things from him autographed. He had his own parking spot outside with a sign. My nephew played minor pro with one of his sons and I have a Gretzky helmet, he passed on his kindness and humility to his kids.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
"In his autobiography, however, Gretzky stated that his first language was Ukrainian.[2]"

Interesting that his first language was Ukrainian despite being born in Canada. I suppose there were still enclaves in Canada in the '30s where immigrants lived their lives in their native language.

Strange post.
Why wouldn’t immigrants teach their kids their mothers tongue?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I got Walter's autograph when he was coaching a team of 13-year-olds in a tournament held in Finland. Looked at the program and found that one of his team made it to NHL for a while...Paul Szczechura.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
great tribute from those kids in hockey sweaters lined up on the side of the street, stick tapping as the procession passed by

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
My Walter story is a quick one. I used to ref rep hockey. They tried to have out of town refs do the higher AAA levels..and being from the Hammer id often ref Brantford games.

After a real tough minor bantom game.. fights yelling etc Walter popped into the refs room between the 2nd and 3rd period and just said the game couldn't be played without us and thanked us for being there...

So simple.

So meaningful.

So Walter.

Reactions: 95Tal

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Heard nothing but praise for the man, and a lot of great stories.

Been just over two years since I lost my dad (and my mom almost a decade ago); grief muted everything after their passing but looking back in that time I remember the stories of how so many others were genuinely touched by their lives and were better for having known them. There is little or no higher praise than that, something we should all aspire to.

Godspeed Walt. And all the best to the entire Gretzky family.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Jeeze, that emotion in Wayne's voice at the end of his speech today is hard to make it through without tearing up.

Or as Peter Pocklington would call it................"crocodile tears." The last couple of days made me think a bit about Pocklington, about how he told Bruce McNall in a supposed private phone call that Walter was a royal pain in his behind. Wayne heard this and it just confirmed that the trade was the right move. Anyway, that always bugged me, because Walter was such a good person for hockey, and I don't doubt there were a few times Walter may have intervened (his son was 18 when he joined the NHL, I assume other fathers did too) but I think it just makes you loathe Pocklington even more.

RIP Walter.

Reactions: shello

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad