Post-Game Talk: Walking cane

3 Candy Cane Busting Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Trocheck doing everything he can to get away from Kreider.
Yeah, I wonder if the Panarin line move had as much to do with trying to spark Kreider.

I think Gallant will default to the starting lines against Seattle. But having Tarasenko gives him the flexibility to move top 6 pieces around now without impacting the bottom 6 as well as making people play out of position.

And having Tarasenko not only gives Panarin someone close to play with, but it's also motivation like last night. You don't want getting "demoted" in front of your buddy. There's a motivational factor there.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheech70

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Yeah, I wonder if the Panarin line move had as much to do with trying to spark Kreider.

I think Gallant will default to the starting lines against Seattle. But having Tarasenko gives him the flexibility to move top 6 pieces around now without impacting the bottom 6 as well as making people play out of position.

And having Tarasenko not only gives Panarin someone close to play with, but it's also motivation like last night. You don't want getting "demoted" in front of your buddy. There's a motivational factor there.
I’ve spoken to it at length but kreider needs to get going. He’s been flat for awhile now, the PP has kept his numbers respectable this season though

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Absolve him of what?

1st season, a trip to the semis with a previously-non-playoff team.

The best winning percentage in the history of the franchise.

Chytil, Kakko, and Laf taking huge steps forward this season.

Then again, folks like you believe if you were coaching they would have won it all last year and would coast to 16 straight in the playoffs this season.

Because that's realistic.
I don't get the hate from some. I really don't. I don't agree with everything he does and with some of his lineup moves but at some point people need to step back and look at results. He is 83-40-14 in the last 2 regular seasons and a trip to the ECF. That's a .667 regular season winning % and a deep playoff run for a team that didn't make the playoffs for 4 years prior to him being here. The team is on pace for 108 points after a 110 point season last year. He also took Vegas to the SCF in their first year of existence which never happened before. I mean at some point people need to give it a rest.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I’ve spoken to it at length but kreider needs to get going. He’s been flat for awhile now, the PP has kept his numbers respectable this season though
Chris Kreider has a 5 game point streak including some sweet passing plays. He's on pace for a 34 goal/60 point season and he was injured for a while. This is another guy that gets way too much shit.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't get the hate from some. I really don't. I don't agree with everything he does and with some of his lineup moves but at some point people need to step back and look at results. He is 83-40-14 in the last 2 regular seasons and a trip to the ECF. That's a .667 regular season winning % and a deep playoff run for a team that didn't make the playoffs for 4 years prior to him being here. The team is on pace for 108 points after a 110 point season last year. He also took Vegas to the SCF in their first year of existence which never happened before. I mean at some point people need to give it a rest.
And this with having to work with weak and questionable depth in the bottom 6 throughout the year until the deadline hits when Drury can add reinforcements. But you still have to get there for Drury to do that. Not to mention having Panarin take a huge step back on the defensive side of the puck; he was never great but since 3/4 of the season last year through this year he has been an albatross in his own end.

The bagging on the head coach because some here are spoiled as if they have this high bar set for reasons I could not imagine why needs to stop.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Chris Kreider has a 5 game point streak including some sweet passing plays. He's on pace for a 34 goal/60 point season and he was injured for a while. This is another guy that gets way too much shit.
This however I have to disagree with. The point streak means nothing to me. Its only masking how ineffective he has been in all other aspects of the game outside of his nifty passes. He has looked lazy and passive, he refuses to take the body really at all with constant fly by’s, he is turning pucks over, losing races down the ice, losing races to the side boards in his own end when the puck is smacked around the boards and they desperately need it knocked out of the zone for a reset, and there is more. Its not enough. He needs to be better. I am sure the injury is playing a factor. So hopefully he starts to feel better and takes his game to another level as the playoffs begin.

And anyone who knows my history on these boards, I am a huge Kreider fan and supporter. My favorite player. But he needs to be better.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This however I have to disagree with. The point streak means nothing to me. Its only masking how ineffective he has been in all other aspects of the game outside of his nifty passes. He has looked lazy and passive, he refuses to take the body really at all with constant fly by’s, he is turning pucks over, losing races down the ice, losing races to the side boards in his own end when the puck is smacked around the boards and they desperately need it knocked out of the zone for a reset, and there is more. Its not enough. He needs to be better. I am sure the injury is playing a factor. So hopefully he starts to feel better and takes his game to another level as the playoffs begin.

And anyone who knows my history on these boards, I am a huge Kreider fan and supporter. My favorite player. But he needs to be better.
Yeah but those nifty passes have lead to goals so points do matter. Actually they probably matter more than anything else. I don't think he's been that bad and the injury definitely had something to do with it not to make excuses. He's never going to score 52 goals again. He is still on pace for over 30 goals and 60 points and 60 points are what he usually averages.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

All of this is frustratingly true. He and Trocheck have connected on some very nice plays, but they seem few and far between. And it's really because Trocheck has been a wagon the last 5 games.

I don't expect things to be different with him at this point. He's not going to change.

Reactions: egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
No but I have been advocating for the kids to play more, and to move around the PP lines because it hasn’t been working. I wouldn’t scratch krav for Jake because he’s done nothing. Gallant is a good coach who lets the players run the locker room. Don’t get it confused when I say his decision process when it comes to underutilization of the kids and over reliance on the vets is terrible.

@haohmaru this applies to you as well

The constant line juggling hasn’t helped most players on the team. I’m not saying I want him fired at all but his decisions at times have been frustrating.

Yeah, but I'll counter that with the reasoning that the reason the kids didn't "play more" was because of 1.) lack of production and 2.) Lafreniere, in particular, being a turnover machine in the offensive zone and taking some dopey penalties and 3.) if we're talking Kakko and Laf, they were top 6 among forwards in even strength ice time anyway. I'm not going to buy the PP argument because if anyone deserved to be there it was Chytil, not Laf and Kakko.

Jake is pretty much expected to "do nothing" in his role. I can't say the same for Kravtsov.

As for line juggling - yeah, it's annoying sometimes. It also works sometimes. Half of this fifty percent of that.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Niko played a much better game this time. I think we have our 3rd line LD for now. Not sure if we can afford him next year.

Kravstov is on the block. I would like to see him traded for a solid low cost 4th line center to replace Lessdecision. I can see why he was waived. I would rather have Johnny B at center than him.

Jimmy Vesey might be the best bargain contract out there.

Halak has really turned in on in the last 7 games. He was not very good in his first games here. .931% last night, pretty good for a backup.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
how demoralizing is it to playing in your home crowd and it's 50/50.

I dont understand why Carolina is struggling with their fan base. Theyve had a good squad.. I know there's a lot of New York transplants there but the newer generations should be helping... the fanbase hasn't grown much compared to a Tampa Bay

It’s cultural. When it comes to pro sports down here, people are VERY bandwagon. A mediocre year after a good one will lead to fan indifference. Couple that with Bally Sports not being carried by pretty much all cable systems.

Also, many of the actual fans tend to have a holier than thou attitude about the team. The “Storm Surge” and other antics directed at other teams and fans actually lead to local people from other areas to root AGAINST the Hurricanes rather than adopt them as a secondary team.

Last year, the loser mayor of Raleigh nearly got kicked out of the arena for cursing at a little girl wearing a Rangers jersey.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It’s cultural. When it comes to pro sports down here, people are VERY bandwagon. A mediocre year after a good one will lead to fan indifference. Couple that with Bally Sports not being carried by pretty much all cable systems.

Also, many of the actual fans tend to have a holier than thou attitude about the team. The “Storm Surge” and other antics directed at other teams and fans actually lead to local people from other areas to root AGAINST the Hurricanes rather than adopt them as a secondary team.

Last year, the loser mayor of Raleigh nearly got kicked out of the arena for cursing at a little girl wearing a Rangers jersey.
Plus, since their cup win in '06 (I think it was) their ticket prices have SKYROCKETED! I went to a game the year that they won the cup, the season of their cup win, two rows from the ice behind the net. They cost 80 dollars a piece. The next season after the cup win, those same seats were literally triple the cost. It was outrageous.

Edmonton on Wednesday night. I.WANT.DRAISAITL. Get 'em Trouba!!

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Plus, since their cup win in '06 (I think it was) their ticket prices have SKYROCKETED! I went to a game the year that they won the cup, the season of their cup win, two rows from the ice behind the net. They cost 80 dollars a piece. The next season after the cup win, those same seats were literally triple the cost. It was outrageous.

Edmonton on Wednesday night. I.WANT.DRAISAITL. Get 'em Trouba!!
I didn’t even mention that.

Devils tickets are cheaper, and honestly the Prudential Center is a better experience.

I looked at going last night, but the get in price was insane.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I didn’t even mention that.

Devils tickets are cheaper, and honestly the Prudential Center is a better experience.

I looked at going last night, but the get in price was insane.
It's a shame, really. Sitting that close to the ice at an NHL game is a special experience. You don't get a great view of all that's going on but you FEEL the game so much more. I was hooked and spoiled from then on. Either I sit close to ice level or it isn't great for me, sadly.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Hell of a week boys.

First Trouba single-handedly destroys Calgary and we came back to win.

Then we beat Vancouver who upset the mighty Islanders (or so I read after the Horvat trade) the next day

We trade for Tarasenko (and dump Blais)

Then we beat Seattle and our rivals Carolina.

Not to mention that our back-up goaltender is on a roll which can only help Shesty down the stretch.

Let's add a big body for the 4th line and things will only get better.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hell of a week boys.

First Trouba single-handedly destroys Calgary and we came back to win.

Then we beat Vancouver who upset the mighty Islanders (or so I read after the Horvat trade) the next day

We trade for Tarasenko (and dump Blais)

Then we beat Seattle and our rivals Carolina.

Not to mention that our back-up goaltender is on a roll which can only help Shesty down the stretch.

Let's add a big body for the 4th line and things will only get better.

Yet some people still want Gallant fired. :dunno:

Reactions: Boris Zubov

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
A couple of fun or not so fun facts.

Covering Nov & Dec. (21 games)
Panarin had a whopping 45 shots/a little over 2 per game. (Sad)

In a total of 53 GP, he has registered
17 minus games
15 plus games
21 Even games

Has only 2 PPG's this season

And ZERO multiple goal games UNTIL LAST NIGHT'S 4 GOALS.

GO FIGURE

With all those negative statistics, he is STILL able to be super dynamic. I mean, did you see that 270° spin goal (the 4th) WOW!

WHY OH WHY, DOESN'T HE SHOOT MORE? Defenseman benefit from his pass 1st mentality, and actually hurts the team, more than it helps. Shoot more (like last night) and that should re-open those lanes.

Down 1-2, Halak makes breakaway save on Necas. That could have changed the whole outcome of this game....possibly, anyway.
Kudos to Halak and his nice 7 game winning streak. We needed that.

Gallant took Bread's new best buddy toy away, with Tro and Vesey he doesn't have anyone to try and hit with a stretch pass across the rink/slot and look what happened. Panarin left the perimeter, attacked the slot himself and suddenly he looks like he's back in Hart form (at least in one game). The Tarasenko trade was a huge win if it woke up Artemi and made him BELIEVE again.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Sebastian Aho is an overrated player that wilts in big games and Mika Zibanejad is an underrated player who doesn’t
AhoDatsyukian told me that our stars are softies. What are theirs, then? Canes are an unbelievably consistent regular-season team. Rod is probably the best in the game. However, you stack up both rosters and I wholeheartedly believe that ours is better, and it isn't even close either.
Would you rather a star duo of Panarin and Zibanejad or Aho and Svechnikov? Does Carolina have a superstar blueliner like Fox? No. Superstar goaltender? No. Center depth like NYR? Trocheck and Chytil clear Kotkaniemi and Staal. I mean Martinook is playing 15:35 a game and he was waived going into the season. Noesen on PP1? Chatfield playing every game? Yet there are some of their fans, not all of them, that are disregarding everything the NYR have done up to this point and merely pointing to the six-point lead in the division and saying, we are still much better than them and that they will get mopped by Jersey. It's honestly quite hilarious. Can you guys imagine if this PP1 wasn't average majority of the year?

Last edited:

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
"I think they're built better for the playoffs compared to us but I'm not really sold on their center depth especially 5 on 5. If they do get lots of powerplays in the playoffs, I like them as Cup favorites though."

Zibanejad, Trocheck, Chytil and, ideally, Goodrow is not good C depth? LMFAO. Their fans will need to be humbled, again.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You have to have a balance in todays NHL. Canes are too skewed towards old school thinking “shoot and crash the bet for rebounds that’s playoff hockey!” Because that’s not enough in the playoffs anymore. You have to have creative plays to generate offense not just mostly relying on throwing the puck at the net
I don’t think you can win the cup with that style anymore (if it ever really was a thing)
Yep. To put it simply, in this league, a team has got to be able to score east-west, north-south, and on the PP. Rangers are good at east-west and the PP is fine. Now they’re starting to add the net front game a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille