Confirmed with Link: Waiver Claim- Jimmy Vesey

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Based more on looking at how he played in New York, than on the game last night, I think the Canucks might have something here. I mean, he had a bad start after playing in Buffalo (just write that off, nearly everyone would have a bad run playing on the team) and didn't find much chemistry in Toronto. Hey, it happens.

It's entirely feasible this might be the shot Jimmy's been looking for to get his career back on track. If he can find the right pairings here, he's going to get much more of a chance to prove himself, and I won't be shocked if he gets back to that 17 goal per season pace he put up for his first 3 seasons. He's only a couple seasons removed from that, I didn't see any big career-altering injuries in his history.

Even this season with Toronto where he's only had 5 goals, he's still put up the best shooting percentage of his career, 15.6. That tells us that wasn't getting as many opportunities (less ice time) to get shots as he was in NYC, but that he's still potting chances when he gets them. Feeling positive about this player after taking a deep dive into his stat line.

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Last night, you can see the puck skills are there. Has the ability to gain possession, quickly pivot and then it's off his stick again to a teammate. We could use a few more wingers in the bottom 6 that can do that. It would make puck management in our own end far more efficient and make us a much better team 5-on-5. This attribute alone would make Vesey more valuable than say Roussell, Ericksson, Michaelis and Hawyrluk in a bottom 6 role.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Last night, you can see the puck skills are there. Has the ability to gain possession, quickly pivot and then it's off his stick again to a teammate. We could use a few more wingers in the bottom 6 that can do that. It would make puck management in our own end far more efficient and make us a much better team 5-on-5. This attribute alone would make Vesey more valuable than say Roussell, Ericksson, Michaelis and Hawyrluk in a bottom 6 role.
you are right. He is OK on the defensive side of the game. I remembered Leafs used him on PK.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's face it....when you're beset with as many injuries as the Canucks have up front right now, a fire hydrant would look decent playing on the wing with J.T. Miller.

You can't really bring anyone up from Utica.....the only guys on the taxi squad are Eriksson and Michaelis. So the waiver wire is only option.

Hopefully Vesey can replicate some of the decent seasons he had in N.Y.....pretty consistent 15-17 goal scorer. The Rangers unloaded him on Buffalo, where NHL careers go to die. And the Leafs were stacked with too many 3rd-4th line forwards.

Certainly worth a look-see for the rest of this season.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
He wasn't anything special but looked fast, engaged, and able to win board battles and accept passes. Almost no one among the existing depth forwards showed that regularly.

I thought he looked pretty good which makes you wonder about the rest of the team. Watch Green ruin him in record time...

Reactions: Luckylarry

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not ready to praise Vesey at this point. Don't think he's an upgrade over what the Canucks have had except for Michaelis. Like Gaudette there will be times that he looks good as he does have some goal scoring ability. At the end of the day it comes down to consistency and offensive production. If he's not producing offensively I'm not sure I don't think he's any better than Hawryluk or MacEwen except he seems to be a polished player who won't hurt the team defensively.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not ready to praise Vesey at this point. Don't think he's an upgrade over what the Canucks have had except for Michaelis. Like Gaudette there will be times that he looks good as he does have some goal scoring ability. At the end of the day it comes down to consistency and offensive production. If he's not producing offensively I'm not sure I don't think he's any better than Hawryluk or MacEwen except he seems to be a polished player who won't hurt the team defensively.
If a guy isn’t scoring then he still has to do something to help his team win games. What does Vesey do? He’s just another of these guys that don’t do much, and are super easy to play against. At least make it “not fun” for the other team.

Reactions: F A N

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For a waiver wire pickup on a $900,000 expiring contract, Vesey has given the Canucks about what you'd expect. And given the deplorable state of the Canucks overpaid and underachieving 'bottom six', he's actually upgrade.

The bonus is that he has killed penalties in the past, and Green used him briefly in that role last night. If the guy is a decent penalty killer, then that's a huge bonus....might even be worthwhile bringing him back.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If a guy isn’t scoring then he still has to do something to help his team win games. What does Vesey do? He’s just another of these guys that don’t do much, and are super easy to play against. At least make it “not fun” for the other team.
He seems to get 2-3 decent shot attempts a game, and often creates them himself. It's not that impressive, but it's more than most of the team's depth forwards have provided.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He seems to get 2-3 decent shot attempts a game, and often creates them himself. It's not that impressive, but it's more than most of the team's depth forwards have provided.
Agreed. Vesey is an improvement over the old, slow, overpaid guys, who are also too easy to play against. Does Benning have an aversion to fast guys?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Those are my thoughts as well. Vesey is so used to being a top 6 player that he needs to reinvent his game if he isn't playing that role. I'm kind of old school, I rather have Hawryluk or MacEwen guys who have some skill who knows they need to play with energy and toughness.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
He earns a third of what Roussel earns. Think about that. He's a waiver wire pickup who's at this juncture is at least three times better than Roussel and earns $2.1m a season less.

Benning should be embarrassed. But I doubt he even connects up the dots.
I remember Benning said "Roussel and others (overpaid 3rd/4th liners) bring in a winning attitude."

Reactions: vanuck

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Those are my thoughts as well. Vesey is so used to being a top 6 player that he needs to reinvent his game if he isn't playing that role. I'm kind of old school, I rather have Hawryluk or MacEwen guys who have some skill who knows they need to play with energy and toughness.

Vesey is pretty quick and is pretty good at the details of the game and keeping possession though he hasn't demonstrated much finishing ability but he has also been robbed a couple times by a great save. That line with Virtanen and Miller have driven play and scoring chances against decent competition and if they keep this up more points will come for them. I think when the team is healthy they could make a good third line if they want to balance the lines out a bit to create depth and mismatches.

He's a good depth piece at 900k and right now brings a much better two way game than most of the bottom 6 players the Canucks have. I do like Hawryluk though, and he looks like he could be a good wing pairing with Motte.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Vesey is pretty quick and is pretty good at the details of the game and keeping possession though he hasn't demonstrated much finishing ability but he has also been robbed a couple times by a great save. That line with Virtanen and Miller have driven play and scoring chances against decent competition and if they keep this up more points will come for them. I think when the team is healthy they could make a good third line if they want to balance the lines out a bit to create depth and mismatches.

He's a good depth piece at 900k and right now brings a much better two way game than most of the bottom 6 players the Canucks have. I do like Hawryluk though, and he looks like he could be a good wing pairing with Motte.

That's why I said he's a polished hockey player. The talent is there but he hit the waiver wire because the production isn't.

I actually don't want Miller playing 3rd line C. Every team he has been on has tried him there and it affects his production. He's much more valuable to us playing like he did last season. Of course Miller's ability to shift over to C makes him more valuable.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it's only a couple of games, but I'm been impressed with Vesey so far. He seems to be cursed around the net right now, but there's some other intangibles to his game that make him a useful depth piece. He seems to be strong along the wall, and looked decent as a penalty-killer.

I'd consider bringing him back....and with his production so far, he could probably be re-signed on the cheap....will also be interested to see how Boyd makes out.

It's just too bad the Canucks are saddled with so many awful contracts for third-fourth line guys, who at this stage don't even look as good as the waiver wire pickups.

They may just have to bite the bullet in the offseason and buyout guys like Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel, God and Aquilini willing. I realize it wouldn't save them any cap space, but it could be the key to eventually building an effective and cost-controlled bottom six.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He’s getting All-Star deployment in all situations which should have provided a highly visible look for him to show himself (good or bad) and yet what he’s actually done is deliver a stunning level of vanilla invisibility. Has basically done nothing significantly good or significantly bad in 4 games. Skates ok. Ok size. Works ok with linemates. Isn’t a liability defensively. But really isn’t providing anything tangible offensively.

Basically exactly what Tanner Pearson was providing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad