Confirmed with Link: Waiver Claim- Jimmy Vesey

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
“Why’s no one [talking] Cole Lind?
And Lockwood is already an NHL bottom six player. These are the guys, and Gadjovich, who need NHL minutes, so management can see what they have. Is Vessey part of our future?
If they were truly nhl ready they would be up

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
FrankTheTank is still going for the playoffs and he must have scouted this guy from the Hollywood Hills.

Let's see which prospects Vesey blocks from developing.

Greener will probably bench Jake rather than Roussel or Beagle anyway.

More cap relief and flexibility for the Leafs and it reduces the number fo their contracts, nice bit of business.
Do you also expect Benning and Green to feed Vesey a raw onion just before he meets his teammates, ensuring he alienates them with halitosis?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
No prob, if he scores 4 goals for the rest of the season0 Benning will probably ink him something like a 3.5 mil X3 contract.

If he scores 20 goals Benning will likely trade him plus a 2nd round pick away for a plate of meat and potatoes.
Fortunately Vancouver is so screwed with the cap right now that there is no way that Benning can sign anyone to more than a minimum contract other than hughes Peterson and Demco

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Fortunately Vancouver is so screwed with the cap right now that there is no way that Benning can sign anyone to more than a minimum contract other than hughes Peterson and Demco

Teeheehee I think you may be underestimating how creative Jimmy can get when it comes to f***ing this team up the ass.
source.gif

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

"Benning can sign anyone"

Watch-out, we underestimate him, this is in fact, his only talent.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
its not Benning. the fanbase is mature, its making the right move at the right time. If Dubas picks up good player down the stretch drive when they were tanking for Matthews, I bet leaf nation will storm his office.

One current speculation in the hockey hotline is that the Leafs are going to make a deal with the Sabres for Hall.If that's the case the Leafs will be making more moves.

Ferraro said tonight that he thinks there are going to be a lot of deals and they are going to come soon so as to get through any quarantine issues in order to get as many games out of their acquisitions as possible. The TDL would be too late. He said the teams have been playing each other on a regular basis and they know what they need to be better against those teams in order to make the playoffs and win vs the those teams. They think they know exactly who can fill that bill. Remember they don't play out of their division until the semi-finals. At that point it's who knows, but you have to get there.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Vesey was put on waivers by a U.S. based team, I doubt the Canucks put in a claim. What with two-week quarantines and work permits etc. any guy coming from a U.S. franchise wouldn't be able to help you for at least three weeks.

But Vesey is basically a plug and play forward from TO, particularly with the Canuck forward group decimated by injuries right now. For the same reason, I doubt the Canucks recall anyone from Utica this season....although I note they have recalled Graovac from the Manitoba Moose and placed him on the taxi squad.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hopefully he pans well for the canucks. bottom 6 can sure use some puck skills. lately its been better without beagle/roussel on it.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
FrankTheTank is still going for the playoffs and he must have scouted this guy from the Hollywood Hills.

Let's see which prospects Vesey blocks from developing.

Greener will probably bench Jake rather than Roussel or Beagle anyway.

More cap relief and flexibility for the Leafs and it reduces the number fo their contracts, nice bit of business.

Like who????

Talkin' nonsense

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
“Why’s no one [talking] Cole Lind?
And Lockwood is already an NHL bottom six player. These are the guys, and Gadjovich, who need NHL minutes, so management can see what they have. Is Vessey part of our future?

What have I been telling you? How many 3rd year ELC players not impressing the Hell out of the hockey world has Benning kept around. The most impressive get traded in yr 2 or 3, the lesser but still did okay get an RFA year and are not retained after year 4, the rest don't get a QO after the ELC. Lind and Gadjovich fit that description to a tee. You cannot go by AHL numbers this year. The AHL is a poor facsimile of its normal self.

Go to the current Utica Comets thread, go to page 32, and read @THRILLHOAIF 's take on this year's AHL. He explains how some Comets prospects have moved into the top 6 and have much improved numbers in bigger roles. He also explains the rosy debuts of the rookies who would at best be depth players and some might be in the ECHL.

OR

Go to the Fantasy GM Thread/Part 8, pg 27, post #653 for a shortened, to the point version by @tyhee.

The D would have been:
Chatfield/Juolevi (1 of the 2 would be in Utica)
Sautner,
Brisebois,
Rafferty
Rathbone
Teves
Eliot
Woo
+? (They would have picked up 1 veteran D-man to make a total of 9)
The first 5 would be definite top 6 at the start of the season based upon past performance and experience and Rathbone would be the highly prized rookie. #6 comes from the other 4. If the vet is a really good one it's him. Otherwise the war is on. I don't think Woo would have made it to #6 to start. Teves at $700k and Eliot would get hard looks.

The forwards would be: (Pettersson healthy and not counting Vessey)
Baertschi
Boucher?
Bailey/MacEwen/Eriksson (only room for one of them in Vancouver and I'm betting it would have been Loui)
Lind
Jasek
Camper
Graovac
Michaelis
Gadjovich
Lockwood
Focht
Arseneau
J. Stevens
? (quality center)
? ( They would have signed at least 2 forwards with AHL/NHL tweener experience as they have always done.)

That group is desperate for a quality CENTER to go along with Camper, Jasek, Graovac, Michaelis, J.Stevens, Focht.)

The Lind experiment would have been unlikely. The fact that they did it this year is more than likely due to the shortage of players. 32 games is no where near enough to try and make that kind of conversion for the next AHL season let alone to move him up to the NHL. They get another top center. Especially since none of those listed is a fit for a Vancouver call-up.

Boucher (or his replacement) gets RW with Baertschi on the LW and the new center goes between them.
Camper gets the second line with Bailey on LW and Lind on the RW. They were very good together last year.
Michaelis gets Graovac on LW and MacEwen on RW
Jasek gets Gadjovich on the LW and Lockwood on RW

That's 4 really good lines.
Arseneau, Stevens, Focht are depth forwards and there would probably be 2 more AHL/ECHL contract forwards.

That's a skeleton look.

The question would now be which of these guys would you want to see? I'm guessing they would all of a sudden be Bailey and MacEwen first thing. Then maybe Lind. I'd go with Jasek and Gadjovich only if they were performing in the normal AHL as they are now. Lockwood would be a next year promise after he developed a full game and it's down here where that would happen.

However, my bet is you would see Benning doing exactly as he is starting right now. The Vessey type easy pickups off waivers. Guys with experience and proof of NHL ability already. You might see Lind, Jasek, Bailey, MacEwen used as trade bait for a guy like Leivo or Motte like he has done so many times before to try and boost his lineup. Playing rookies when he is shooting for the playoffs is not in his nor his coach's playbook.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Do you also expect Benning and Green to feed Vesey a raw onion just before he meets his teammates, ensuring he alienates them with halitosis?

Are you implying that Benning is not only responsible for scouting (only 1st round obviously, and only when its successful) but also player diet?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Vesey brings more skill than Hawryluk/Michaelis/Roussel/Motte. He can potentially form a 3rd scoring line if Miller/Pettersson drops to 3c. Maybe, Vesey-Gaudette-Virtanen becomes a line, but that's asking a lot from guys who can't carry their own offence.

Cap junkies think Pearson is out so Vesey is at 2nd line which is better for the future. It makes us a worse hockey team and isn't going to help attract free agents.

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin
Vesey-Miller-Virtanen

Miller has the least help, but we shouldn't expect the most offence from them. Vesey, Pearson and Pettersson have no contract for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->