Blue Jays Discussion: waiting on the right moves to materialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejaysfan*

It's gotta be tempting for GMs but they are gonna sit there until their price drops. On a side note, I can't believe the money teams are handing out to these international kids. It's mind blowing to see teams handing these kids millions for a good batting practice showcase. I can hit the long ball too in batting practice, sign me up! :help:

As an aspiring baseball player, I can say it's a bit more than what you make it out to be. These guys that are getting that money are pretty much 1st round talent made available as young as 16 where you can mold their devlopment or older but a lot more well rounded. You're basically buying a top prospect instead of having to draft and develop them.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Os and Jays discussing compensation for Dan Daquette. Is he good?

Good baseball mind. Big hand in the Red Sox winning in 2004, also built the 94 Expos. That said, not sure what kind of value he provides as a CEO.

Also, compensation should be nothing more than a bag if balls. The names Rosenthal brought up in December (which included Stroman) were asinine.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Good baseball mind. Big hand in the Red Sox winning in 2004, also built the 94 Expos. That said, not sure what kind of value he provides as a CEO.

Also, compensation should be nothing more than a bag if balls. The names Rosenthal brought up in December (which included Stroman) were asinine.

Rosenthal brought them up? I remember Olney saying that they should demand Hutchison, Stroman, Sanchez, or Norris.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Whatever they send to Baltimore if I've heard the name before then it's too much compensation. Whatever Baltimore gets should be essentially worthless, they're not getting any kind of good prospect at all.

Rosenthal tweeted that some in O's management want him to leave(I presume because they know he wants the Jays job, thus potential conflict of interest?), so if the O's want to let him leave they're not getting much of anything.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The media has been through this compensation thing before with Epstein and Farrell, it's always much less than initial reports say it will be.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I thought this thing was dead in the water. Didn't expect this to pop up so soon again.

This is interesting and awkward from both teams' perspective. You have to wonder how much of this played a part in the O's relative inactivity this off-season.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Whatever they send to Baltimore if I've heard the name before then it's too much compensation. Whatever Baltimore gets should be essentially worthless, they're not getting any kind of good prospect at all.

Rosenthal tweeted that some in O's management want him to leave(I presume because they know he wants the Jays job, thus potential conflict of interest?), so if the O's want to let him leave they're not getting much of anything.

We were rumoured to be getting Clay Buchholz. Lol.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Speaking of Mr. Olney, he's been releasing top-10 rankings. Here's his list for lineups:

1. Red Sox
2. LAA
3. Jays
4. Rockies
5. Tigers
6. Nats
7. Rangers
8. Pirates
9. Indians
10. Yanks

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Os and Jays discussing compensation for Dan Daquette. Is he good?

Probably a top 3 Gm in the game. Took Baltimore to the playoffs while in the same division as the Jays, with a payroll $25 mil smaller, despite season-long injuries to 2 of their top 3-4 players. Also runs a good farm.

But that's as GM and not President. Although this has the side-benefit of depriving the O's of a top GM.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Probably a top 3 Gm in the game. Took Baltimore to the playoffs while in the same division as the Jays, with a payroll $25 mil smaller, despite season-long injuries to 2 of their top 3-4 players. Also runs a good farm.

But that's as GM and not President. Although this has the side-benefit of depriving the O's of a top GM.

I'd disagree with him being a top 3. GM's I'd rank ahead of him:

- Beane

Say what you want about his trades, but the man has made it to the playoffs with a limited budget. Heck when it looked like he was going nuts after the Donaldson trade he acquired Zobrist, still has pitching depth, and a roster that can still push for the wildcard.

- Saben

Sure the Zito signing was bad, but the dude has built a team that has won 3 of the last 5 world series, 2 in the last 3.

- Neal Huntington

The Pirates have made the playoffs after a long drought, signed Martin and was one of the best signings for a catcher in the past few years, built the team's farm and developed great players. Has built a team likely to be in the playoffs again the coming season with a great farm.

Wild Card: Freidman/Zaidi

I know Freidman is now President, but he and Zaidi (who was a A's executive under Beane) have made solid moves this offseason and with the budget the Dodgers have, its pretty unfair to a lot of other teams. They are starting to put a mark on the team and a little early to say but would Freidman still be a GM, would rank him ahead of DD.

On top, the team he's built, a lot of its key players were already built for him before he took the job.

I'd still rank him as a top 10 GM however. Ahead of AA whom, while making more exciting block buster trades, hasn't had as successful results.

Also ran across this interesting titbit: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/marcus-stroman-discovered-roy-halladays-sinker/

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jays claim Matt West from the Rangers

@AndrewStoeten: West is a RHP sits 95, 2nd rd 07 as a 3B. Moved to mound in '11. 11.2 K/9, 3.3 BB/9 at AAA in '14. More importantly: http://t.co/ZgShXbau2g

fastball/curveball/changeup. Nice. The walks are a bit of a concern, but you could say the same about a lot of power arm relievers. He does appear to be a little bit hit-prone though.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
good read on the evolution of Stroman last year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/marcus-stroman-discovered-roy-halladays-sinker/

Also, that sinker gif. So awesome.

EDIT: This:

DirectUnsightlyAmazondolphin.gif

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Apparently the Duquette "trade" to Toronto is going to be done within in a couple days according to Morosi.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/555490183517585409

If a deal can made, I expect that Duquette will spend the 2015 season working with or under Paul Beeston to both learn the organization and the position. After the season, Beeston will retire and Duquette will fully assume the role of president. But that is just speculation on my part and I could be completely wro

Bluejaysfan*

If a deal can made, I expect that Duquette will spend the 2015 season working with or under Paul Beeston to both learn the organization and the position. After the season, Beeston will retire and Duquette will fully assume the role of president. But that is just speculation on my part and I could be completely wro

The 5 year rule is Beeston's right? Would it be gone with Duquette here?

And yeah I agree, kinda like how the Leafs are letting Dubas and Hunter learn the ins and outs of being a GM from Nonis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad