Blue Jays Discussion: waiting on the right moves to materialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I think it's almost a guarantee he's not going to get a closers role, and also anything more than a 1 year deal.

We've got a lot going for us for the reclamation guys (which is not a bad route as far as filling BP roles). We have a closers role that is pretty much open for competition, dedicated money to fill relief roles and Russell Martin behind the plate.

Ax is certainly not an answer but he's another bullet in the chamber as far as filling those late inning roles. Hoping he and/or Delabar can regain form is better than having delabar only

Excellent post.

Sign a couple of guys that have contracts to play for in hopes that one of these guys can hold down the closers role. No point in blowing big money on relievers.

I think Cecil may have a good shot at being a good closer for us this upcoming season, hopefully we can get a couple guys to solidify the BP.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Everth Cabrera is still sitting out there. Completely forgot about him. Though he's never hit without the cloud of steroids over his head, you'd have to think he'd provide plus defense at 2nd, while providing a backup SS, and more production than Goins. Also a switch hitter, which eliminates the need for platoon. You'd have to think he'd be very cheap as his market appears to be null.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Everth Cabrera is still sitting out there. Completely forgot about him. Though he's never hit without the cloud of steroids over his head, you'd have to think he'd provide plus defense at 2nd, while providing a backup SS, and more production than Goins. Also a switch hitter, which eliminates the need for platoon. You'd have to think he'd be very cheap as his market appears to be null.

We're trying to eliminate these type of players from our clubhouse, not add. AA will not do this.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

GMs seem to be very wary of his off-the-field issues (domestic violence, DUI). Couple that with the steroid bust and he's pretty high risk.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Well known that Az is looking for a Catcher.

Navarro for Pennington swap would be solid. I'd also look at Ziegler and pipe dream Evan Marshall

Piecoro (their local guy) wrote that they have checked in with the Jays about Navarro, but have not liked the price so far. Hopefully they can get a deal done, because the two teams look like good partners.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Piecoro (their local guy) wrote that they have checked in with the Jays about Navarro, but have not liked the price so far. Hopefully they can get a deal done, because the two teams look like good partners.

AA is right in being firm on Navarro. His value is only going to go up this year because Catchers get hurt and as soon as someone does they'll need to pony up to replace him, there's not a lot of proven starters with his salary and term available

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Yeah, they have an excess of outfielders now. I'd do an Inciarte for Navarro swap. Also, some intriguing relief pitchers. Ziegler would make sense, if his knee is ok.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
AA is right in being firm on Navarro. His value is only going to go up this year because Catchers get hurt and as soon as someone does they'll need to pony up to replace him, there's not a lot of proven starters with his salary and term available

Indeed. Stewart is the guy without the catcher. He'd likely be the one that needs to move on value before AA, who doesn't actually have to do anything with Navarro for a while.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Well known that Az is looking for a Catcher.

Navarro for Pennington swap would be solid. I'd also look at Ziegler and pipe dream Evan Marshall

This is what I've been hoping for. Logic dictates their trying to unload Hill, and we're pushing for Pennington. AA checks in on everyone and they've made made deals together in the past. No doubt in my mind they've talked.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Anyone think Bard may be an interesting buy low candidate? He was dynamite in the pen for a couple years and has had a couple awful years since trying to stretch back into starting. Apparently he's healthy again though, and I'd like to see him on a minor league deal with a shot at making the pen. At worst he flames out in the spring, at best we've got a guy on an incentivized contract who throws high-90s and can be a late inning option.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Anyone think Bard may be an interesting buy low candidate? He was dynamite in the pen for a couple years and has had a couple awful years since trying to stretch back into starting. Apparently he's healthy again though, and I'd like to see him on a minor league deal with a shot at making the pen. At worst he flames out in the spring, at best we've got a guy on an incentivized contract who throws high-90s and can be a late inning option.

Basically it's a risk-free proposition. If he's free and willing, why not?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Apparently the d backs have decided not to upgrade their catchers. Taking themselves out of the market

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Weren't we scouting Aaron Hill in July? I remember seeing that somewhere.

I wouldn't mind having Hill back.

His contract is up next season right? Could be a good timeline for Travis. We could maybe try and get them to eat some of the salary. Maybe get a prospect out of it too.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

I was thinking this too. Problem is he underwent shoulder surgery, which is usually harder to bounce back from than TJ, and no one knows what his velocity is at right now. Worth an invite though maybe.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Weren't we scouting Aaron Hill in July? I remember seeing that somewhere.

I wouldn't mind having Hill back.

His contract is up next season right? Could be a good timeline for Travis. We could maybe try and get them to eat some of the salary. Maybe get a prospect out of it too.

He was absolutely awful last year and has two years and 22 million left on his deal. I thought of him to and when I dug a little deeper I realized we're very likely better off without him. Unless he has a crazy bounce back year he's dead weight

Bluejaysfan*

It'll never happen but the fact that Scherzer and Shields are just sitting there on the open market just makes me want them on the Jays even more. I'd rather add one of them than invest in a closer.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
It'll never happen but the fact that Scherzer and Shields are just sitting there on the open market just makes me want them on the Jays even more. I'd rather add one of them than invest in a closer.

Would have to move Dickey and Buerhle to open some room. Move Dickey for a closer?

Scherzer
Shields
Stroman
Hutchison
???

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010

It's gotta be tempting for GMs but they are gonna sit there until their price drops. On a side note, I can't believe the money teams are handing out to these international kids. It's mind blowing to see teams handing these kids millions for a good batting practice showcase. I can hit the long ball too in batting practice, sign me up! :help:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I see...

Well you've done a good job of eliminating all those players from your clubhouse so far this offseason. Been quite the exodus of former PED offenders who aren't very good.

Enlighten me, if you will; who is your starting second baseman for 2015?

You realize he is in legal troubles and known head case right? No thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad