Blue Jays Discussion: waiting on the right moves to materialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on Synergaard, as I haven't watched many of his games. Most of us haven't. Law has, and also has quite a few contacts. That's why I'm inclined to believe him about the improvement with Noah, rather than the raw numbers (which have context to them, as I mentioned). I'm just not convinced that Law is this super-biased bitter ex-employee. Every criticism he's had of the Jays prospects has been very logical. He's a guy that's very vocal about his criticism for all prospects he doesn't like, not just the Jays.

he's not a super bitter ex employee. that doesn't mean he's not biased.

yes, he's logical and always gives reasons.....its just that the reasons themselves are questionable.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Jays should trade for Papelbon. He may take 30 minutes for a 3 up - 3 down inning but there's not many guys I would rather have closing the game out in the 9th inning. 2.04 era, 2.8 WAR, 39 saves last season. He's owed 13 million in 2015 and a vesting option for 2016, he would have to play a minimum of 44 games in 2015. If we can shed some salary I could see AA exploring that option. I mean why the **** would philly want a 13 million dollar closer in a year their rebuilding? They have cheaper options. If we get tortiani (sp) (who's suppose to make his decision this week) they would have to take back Izturis... I would push them to take on Romero as well (7.5 million) and maybe give them a good prospect. Let's not act like Papelbon has big value with his contract. Maybe Romero + Izturis + Osuna? so we take on an additional 4 million and give up a good good prospect for an elite closer in 2015. If he pitches well in 2015 you pay him 13 million in 2016 and shut up

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Syndergaard developed a breaking ball with the Mets which was the big difference and after that, pretty much everyone had Syndergaard over Sanchez.

Law doesn't hate the Jays or anything or has some bias against them. He is pretty snarky sometimes and can be a little over the top in his statements, such as Travis being a non-prospect. It's with a lot of prospects though, he just has strong opinions on them which is fine by me. Sometimes he'll be right and sometimes he won't be.

he doesn't hate the jays. that doesn't mean he's not biased.

and if you ask noah, he'll tell you his breakthrough with the slider/curveball came when he was still in the jays system.

and i have no problem ranking noah over sanchez - in fact i always ranked noah over sanchez, even when all the experts preferred sanchez. noah has been crazy dominant on the mound, has two plus pitches and a promising third pitch, and at this point sanchez is still just a live arm with no command.

the ranking isn't my issue - it's the instant switch in rankings as soon as noah was traded that reveals the bias. the truth is that a guy like syndergaard was just heavily underrated as a jays prospect, much like stroman and hutch were. these guys had such dominant minor league numbers, with good to great stuff and great command, that it was always strange that they were ranked lower than a bunch of other guys who couldn't match them in all these areas.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Jays should trade for Papelbon. He may take 30 minutes for a 3 up - 3 down inning but there's not many guys I would rather have closing the game out in the 9th inning. 2.04 era, 2.8 WAR, 39 saves last season. He's owed 13 million in 2015 and a vesting option for 2016, he would have to play a minimum of 44 games in 2015. If we can shed some salary I could see AA exploring that option. I mean why the **** would philly want a 13 million dollar closer in a year their rebuilding? They have cheaper options. If we get tortiani (sp) (who's suppose to make his decision this week) they would have to take back Izturis... I would push them to take on Romero as well (7.5 million) and maybe give them a good prospect. Let's not act like Papelbon has big value with his contract. Maybe Romero + Izturis + Osuna? so we take on an additional 4 million and give up a good good prospect for an elite closer in 2015. If he pitches well in 2015 you pay him 13 million in 2016 and shut up

As his velocity plummets, the amount of sliders he throws rises, and his K rate descends, I'd prefer someone else to be holding the bag when that bubble bursts.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Getting Paplebon would be cool. He doesn't give up many homers which I like for a pitcher in Rogers. Wouldn't give up Osuna though.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
He is likely going there to be their SS this season so we never would of been able to compete with that.

Yeah maybe but he seemed pretty open to the change.

Ive always seen them more of a player for cabrera for 2nd.

His defense last two years has been horrendous and he's regressed offensively too. He was a disaster at 2B too when he got traded to the Nationals... so I'm not sure if I would prefer him, especially if he is going to get a similar deal to Lowrie. On a 1 year deal, its not a bad gamble though.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Shi Davidi was on MLB Now earlier today and speculated that the Jays have between 5-7M in available payroll after accounting for potential buyouts next season. That figure can rise to 10-12M if AA can offload Navarro's salary.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-white-sox-still-arent-a-very-good-team/

The White Sox have turned plenty of zeros into not-zeros. Yet, weaknesses remain. LaRoche is a fine player, but seemingly not a good player. Cabrera is an average player, but seemingly not a great player. The situation isn’t good behind the plate, nor is it good at second base now that Marcus Semien has gone elsewhere. Third base is manned by half a platoon, and as much as I like Adam Eaton, his ceiling is modest. Avisail Garcia is mostly potential. The rotation is obviously strong but lacking in back-end depth, and the bullpen has simply been upgraded to not-dreadful.

Pretty much my thoughts.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Shi Davidi was on MLB Now earlier today and speculated that the Jays have between 5-7M in available payroll after accounting for potential buyouts next season. That figure can rise to 10-12M if AA can offload Navarro's salary.

He did also say that no one really knows what's left in the vaults for the jays but that amount is likely what is left. I thought he said 5 to 10 though for some reason

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
he's not a super bitter ex employee. that doesn't mean he's not biased.

yes, he's logical and always gives reasons.....its just that the reasons themselves are questionable.

You have nothing to back up this biased claim. Preferring Syndergaard over Sanchez isn't an "instant switch." The guy posts his rankings either annually or semi-annually, not monthly. A lot can happen in that time frame. And the reasons themselves are logical, therefore not questionable. His main concern with Stroman was that no other SP had pitched like an ace at the MLB level at his height (he's even shorter than Sonny Gray, who is also considered small and an outlier), and had a propensity for giving up the long ball, perhaps due to lack of downward plane on the fastball. He didn't think Stroman would bust, just thought he had more of a future as a Tom Gordon type. I'd say those are legit reasons (even if proven wrong), that don't point toward bias more than just a strong opinion, as Nasty Nazem said.

As far as Sanchez, the Jays changed his delivery, which Law believed affected his command and tempered his enthusiasm on him. Again, a good reason. We'll see if he's wrong or right. There's just not enough there to play the bias card. Law is very vocal on who he doesn't like, but is always quick to admit his mistakes. This goes for all organizations, not just the Jays.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Braves DFA Anthony Varvaro. I don't really understand why but okay, he is an easy claim. Heck, I think Jays should try trading for him since it is unlikely they can win the claim.

2.63 ERA last year in 54.2 IP, 2.82 in 73.1 IP the prior year. Throws in low-mid 90's (average of around 93). 49.7% and 47.2% groundball rates the last two years as well. He's not even arbitration eligible right now... so uhh, get him Jays.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Braves DFA Anthony Varvaro. I don't really understand why but okay, he is an easy claim. Heck, I think Jays should try trading for him since it is unlikely they can win the claim.

2.63 ERA last year in 54.2 IP, 2.82 in 73.1 IP the prior year. Throws in low-mid 90's (average of around 93). 49.7% and 47.2% groundball rates the last two years as well. He's not even arbitration eligible right now... so uhh, get him Jays.
Numbers look good. What happened to him?? Why would they ditch someone like this?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I agree. I didn't like him in 2013 and thought his season was pretty flukey (I also remember the Jays making some pretty hard contact against him in one appearance), but he pretty much improved in everything this season. Not a lot of separation between the fastball and change up but it generates a good amount of missed bats along with his curveball. Only negative from this season is the inflation in HR/FB despite seeing more groundballs. That could normalize but it also isn't a huge concern.

edit: Or maybe I was thinking of Avilan. In any case the Jays should throw them an offer.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Ridiculous. I'd be a little upset if I was Braves fan after this off-season. Trading Hayward was stupid, DFAing Beachy, Medlen, and now Varvaro is also asinine. Unless all their medicals are completely a mess (ala Tommy Hanson) then I just don't understand what they're doing. They've got guys on their 40-man that have no business being there.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Ridiculous. I'd be a little upset if I was Braves fan after this off-season. Trading Hayward was stupid, DFAing Beachy, Medlen, and now Varvaro is also asinine. Unless all their medicals are completely a mess (ala Tommy Hanson) then I just don't understand what they're doing. They've got guys on their 40-man that have no business being there.

Yep and on top of that, they overpaid Markakis who they knew required neck surgery. Yikes.

A mess of an off-season for the Braves who aren't rebuilding but aren't nearly good enough to compete. A solid mediocre team.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Factoring all this in and assuming it is correct, what would that slot the payroll at? $135 or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot