OT: Waiting for the upcoming hockey season is hard

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I just hate the way the run the offense. Basically Run, Pass, Punt. Dont like the Endzones as well. U could build a small city in the end zone ffs. If they built identical to NFL and run 4 downs, u could run a league that could be like a "Farm League " to the NFL.
The one thing I have never understood is why they don't move the uprights to the back of the endzone.

To be it's like when the NHL changed the icing rule. Sure there were only a couple incidents here and there, but something so simple could prevent major injury.

I do agree with the theory you go to 4 downs it becomes a better farm league and it also would allow easier transition for players coming from the states. But that wouldn't work for defensive players IMO. You'd essentially need to go to the NFL field too. Or at the very least a modified field.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dont know if I will ruffle some feathers here, but what is the general consensus if the CFL went to 4 downs? The recent game in Halifax sold out but I'm still not sure if you will see CFL here. The interest is there, just getting the money for the stadium Halifax is growing at an explosive right now. I was in Quebec City last week and it sure looks bigger then that city. Im a big NFL fan (Packers) and I watch the NCAA as well. I just prefer the 4 down system

SWORD FIGHT
I forgot to ask what sad sack of shit NCAA team do you cheer for? Your choice in NFL teams isn't exactly inspiring :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I forgot to ask what sad sack of shit NCAA team do you cheer for? Your choice in NFL teams isn't exactly inspiring

CMOOONNNN MAN
U GOTTA BACK THE PACK.
Im not sure how Packers gonna look this year. Im just glad that AR BS is over with. I got sick of him.

As for my NCAA team, I'm not sure yet. Im a big fan of SEC. Best conference going. Still waiting for my daughetr to pick OUR team. I think she will be going with Alabama. I'll get a Tide jersey and put Forrest Gump on the back. I'm pretty simple like him sometimes. Especially this upcoming Saturday. I got a big bottle of Grey Goose at Border the other day that is waiting for me to attack it when I get off from my shift Saturday

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Tell me you're going to the Ryder Cup.

The what? That’s a golf thing right? Sorry hadn’t even crossed my mind. Golf and I have a hate / hate relationship so I stay away lol.

I am here to see great art and great history and eat great food and drink great wine and meet new great people and be with great friends!

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The what? That’s a golf thing right? Sorry hadn’t even crossed my mind. Golf and I have a hate / hate relationship so I stay away lol.

I am here to see great art and great history and eat great food and drink great wine and meet new great people and be with great friends!
love this post. I don't hate golf. I just don't see the point of pursuing something that I have to pay a ton of money for and causes constant aggravation and grief.

The only thing worse than playing golf imo. Watching others play golf. Wake me up when its over.

This is kind of funny though. Its like a meme of telling somebody you hate golf. If that person is a golfer they completely ignore what you said and start telling you the many ways you would love golf. Its like a cult.

Why should I pay thousands of bucks to "learn to like" something when I can just do other things for free that I like?

This is my whole take on golf but I arrived at the conclusion quickly and after just renting clubs. The thing I could never understand is why anybody would prefer Golf to Tennis which is free, better exercise, and much easier to get good at.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
love this post. I don't hate golf. I just don't see the point of pursuing something that I have to pay a ton of money for and causes constant aggravation and grief.

The only thing worse than playing golf imo. Watching others play golf. Wake me up when its over.

This is kind of funny though. Its like a meme of telling somebody you hate golf. If that person is a golfer they completely ignore what you said and start telling you the many ways you would love golf. Its like a cult.

Why should I pay thousands of bucks to "learn to like" something when I can just do other things for free that I like?

This is my whole take on golf but I arrived at the conclusion quickly and after just renting clubs. The thing I could never understand is why anybody would prefer Golf to Tennis which is free, better exercise, and much easier to get good at.

Golf is a good walk spoiled for me. My dad loved it and so I played with him a lot. Since he passed 2 years ago I have very fond memories of playing with him but I’ll never pick up a club again.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I said screw it I’m not waiting anymore and went to Italy. I am back for puck drop Oct 11.

Let me know if McDavid makes the team.

Also let me know if they find my bags. I know where they are thanks to AirTags but KLM doesn’t have a f***ing clue.

Update on missing bags. Went to airport and retrieved the bags 48 hours after landing. I will be writing a PhD thesis on customer service for KLM when I get home.

An entire plane left Amsterdam with NO luggage and they didn’t tell anyone till an hour after landing leaving 160 people waiting around a luggage carousel in a stifling hot airport standing there wondering what to do next.

We are here for 2 weeks and have a washer and dryer in the apartment however I felt terrible for those coming here for a day and then heading out on a cruise or rail the day after.

Wearing clean underwear never felt so good.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Golf is a good walk spoiled for me. My dad loved it and so I played with him a lot. Since he passed 2 years ago I have very fond memories of playing with him but I’ll never pick up a club again.
Sadly this is me and fishing. So many times spent with dad fishing, but its too painful to do it now without him so I just don't. Probably a similar feeling we have.

My dad would take jobs in Jasper (Masonry) just so he could go fishing. he did a large part of the stone, brick, blockwork there because it was his favorite place to work. They used to have a fish nursery then and stocked all the lakes and streams until they figured that wasn't natural enough.

Dad met Marilyn Monroe, if you asked him one of his highlights. He'd stay at a nice rooming house that she once stayed in. my mom thought he was fixated. lol she should talk, she almost named me Elvis.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The one thing that really has me hooked on hockey is the design of the centerline. I just can't wait each year to see how teams deal with this. As a season ticket holder in the 80's it was not guys like Gretzky that had my attention but rather the beauty of the paint jobs on those lines.
Some people worked hard on it and are proud of their work. Showing it off in a small clip on twitter is no big deal, right?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Some people worked hard on it and are proud of their work. Showing it off in a small clip on twitter is no big deal, right?
Point taken. I do appreciate that the guys who do the ice take great pride in their work. As a former competitive curler I can very much appreciate that making and maintaining ice is an art. The post just struck me a bit funny as my guess is that 99.99% of the people who go to the games would never notice.

Nuance is online posts can be a challenge. There was no insult meant here. Perhaps just a bad attempt at humour.

Reactions: RegDunlop

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Update on missing bags. Went to airport and retrieved the bags 48 hours after landing. I will be writing a PhD thesis on customer service for KLM when I get home.

An entire plane left Amsterdam with NO luggage and they didn’t tell anyone till an hour after landing leaving 160 people waiting around a luggage carousel in a stifling hot airport standing there wondering what to do next.

We are here for 2 weeks and have a washer and dryer in the apartment however I felt terrible for those coming here for a day and then heading out on a cruise or rail the day after.

Wearing clean underwear never felt so good.
Pro tip: Always wear 4 pairs of underwear when travelling. ;)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm so sports jonesing that we were watching the US open yesterday. Saw the last two sets of Djokovic once again coming back from two sets down and he was never even close to losing or being in trouble. 36 and he still plays unbeatable. The guy he's playing way younger and was exhausted. Djoko jumping in the air making shots still. The commentary was saying he's better at 36 than he even was at 26.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What the hell was that! Lol!
Waynes Hollywood career going up in smoke in 1minute. People were laughing about it as much back then as now. Really it was cringe from the word go. Gretz seemed to care about his hairdo as much as some starlets do. His acting and reading of lines was mocked quite a lot. I think if he even had intentions of other gigs he abandoned them. He sure got the gears over that one.

Funny thing about that skit is that all the actors seemed to be competing for the fromage award. Even soap actors were usually a lot better than that.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sadly this is me and fishing. So many times spent with dad fishing, but its too painful to do it now without him so I just don't. Probably a similar feeling we have.

My dad would take jobs in Jasper (Masonry) just so he could go fishing. he did a large part of the stone, brick, blockwork there because it was his favorite place to work. They used to have a fish nursery then and stocked all the lakes and streams until they figured that wasn't natural enough.

Dad met Marilyn Monroe, if you asked him one of his highlights. He'd stay at a nice rooming house that she once stayed in. my mom thought he was fixated. lol she should talk, she almost named me Elvis.
Drove to Jasper back in 2018 when I was out there. The look of the water was beautiful. I would imagine the fishing there would be something else. Trout ?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drove to Jasper back in 2018 when I was out there. The look of the water was beautiful. I would imagine the fishing there would be something else. Trout ?
Rainbow Trout mostly. Beautiful delicious fish, simple as pan fried in a cast iron skillet with a bit of oil or butter.

The whole Maligne system from Maligne lake to Maligne river used to be great for fishing. Horsewhoe lake was also a favorite and is a deep lake so the Trout there were great tasting with the cool water. Pyramid lake was another one. Lots of other spots too. But now fishing in the parks ain't as good. Like I mentioned they use to have a Fish hatchery there but now the NP don't approve of that and so there is no stocking of the lakes and streams. Left on its own the waterbodies are less productive.

The lakes are still great to look at half the attraction was just being there anyway. I love Jasper so much.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Dont know if I will ruffle some feathers here, but what is the general consensus if the CFL went to 4 downs? The recent game in Halifax sold out but I'm still not sure if you will see CFL here. The interest is there, just getting the money for the stadium Halifax is growing at an explosive right now. I was in Quebec City last week and it sure looks bigger then that city. Im a big NFL fan (Packers) and I watch the NCAA as well. I just prefer the 4 down system

SWORD FIGHT
I know I'm prob in the minority, but cfl is 10 times the excitement for me. I've tried to get into NFL repeatedly but cannot.
Perhaps raised at Clarke / Commonwealth has a lot to do with it.
Also rediscovered and am addicted to Jays

Reactions: Drivesaitl

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wasn’t paying attention when the schedule was released over the summer. I’m just noticing now that the regular season doesn’t start until October 10th. Why the hell has it been pushed back a week? I thought we were a week closer than we actually are.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wasn’t paying attention when the schedule was released over the summer. I’m just noticing now that the regular season doesn’t start until October 10th. Why the hell has it been pushed back a week? I thought we were a week closer than we actually are.

We’re back to the pre-Covid start where hockey starts later in the fall and ends near the beginning of July. Still have 8 preseason games to determine who the 14th forward is and who your number one call up on D might be when they could figure that out in 4.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I know I'm prob in the minority, but cfl is 10 times the excitement for me. I've tried to get into NFL repeatedly but cannot.
Perhaps raised at Clarke / Commonwealth has a lot to do with it.
Also rediscovered and am addicted to Jays
The thing with the Jays is I find they r very frustrating. Leave too many runners on and blow leads. Case in point was last night

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Totally agree
And again tonight

Rainbow Trout mostly. Beautiful delicious fish, simple as pan fried in a cast iron skillet with a bit of oil or butter.

The whole Maligne system from Maligne lake to Maligne river used to be great for fishing. Horsewhoe lake was also a favorite and is a deep lake so the Trout there were great tasting with the cool water. Pyramid lake was another one. Lots of other spots too. But now fishing in the parks ain't as good. Like I mentioned they use to have a Fish hatchery there but now the NP don't approve of that and so there is no stocking of the lakes and streams. Left on its own the waterbodies are less productive.

The lakes are still great to look at half the attraction was just being there anyway. I love Jasper so much.
Rainbow trout. Got a few in a lake in these parts. Rainbow trout are actually from the Salmon family in these parts. Explains why when they grasped my line, they came right outta the water . Salmon do that as well. Come right outta the water. Regular trout( sea trout, brown trout) grab the line and try to go deep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad