WADA recommends a 4 year ban for Russian Athletes

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The compliance and review committee for the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) recommended a four-year sports ban for Russia that would keep the country from representing its flag in the 2020 Tokyo Summer Games and 2022 Beijing Winter Games, according to a letter sent to the organization's board obtained by The New York Times.
Russia is still facing punishment for a doping and cheating scheme by its athletes, coaches and officials during the 2014 Sochi Games. WADA investigators discovered that Russian team officials erased urine test results from a database submitted to anti-doping regulators.
The committee's recommended ban, proposed in a report headed by British lawyer Jonathan Taylor, is similar to the one Russia faced during the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Games when Russian athletes competed as neutral athletes. Under regulations adopted in 2018, WADA now has the authority to hand down punishment to Russia. The country also faces being barred from global sporting events such as the 2022 World Cup and the proposed ban also means the country would not be allowed to host any major international event.

Russian athletes face 4-year ban from WADA, including Tokyo Olympics

initial report (paywalled) WADA Committee Recommends Russia Face New Olympic Ban

WADA this time is going after Russia with a bigger hammer. Appeals are expected should these recommendations be accepted.

member 305909

Would Russians be truly thrown out or could they circumvent it like in the winter Olympics by calling themselves something else than Russians?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Would Russians be truly thrown out or could they circumvent it like in the winter Olympics by calling themselves something else than Russians?
They won't do anything, then one month before, all registered athletes will receive a surprise letter saying they are banned, and a family member must take their place.

member 305909

Think about a country like India. A huge country which has nuclear weapons and a space programmer.

One thing sticks out about India. The number of Olympic medals India has won is really low. Much lower than many much smaller countries.

And guess what. It doesn't seem to bother India one little bit.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
uggh just maddening at this point. I expect to be reading news like these post 2030. WADA can't go away from its own rules and the ruling class of a country that is exclusively build on an illusion of greatness won't go away from its BS, so this is just the natural development of things.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

They specifically suggest clean athletes be allowed to compete as a "unified/neutral team". There's very prominent Russian athletes criticizing vocally the people in power for screwing the athletes over. Women's high jump world champion Maria Lasitskene is one such athlete.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Russians shocked at call for four-year sports ban over doping

Russia's anti-doping chief said Tuesday he expected the country to be barred from all sporting competition for four years, after a bombshell recommendation from the World Anti-Doping Agency that shocked Russian athletes.

Asked if he expected the recommendation to be upheld, RUSADA chief Yury Ganus told AFP: "That's the reality."
"We are plunging, for the next four years, into a new phase of Russia's doping crisis," Ganus said, pointing out that the ban would affect Russian athletes at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo and 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.
"The most difficult and tragic thing is that our athletes have become hostages of the actions of our sports officials," he said.

Glad to see an honest response.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Think about a country like India. A huge country which has nuclear weapons and a space programmer.

One thing sticks out about India. The number of Olympic medals India has won is really low. Much lower than many much smaller countries.

And guess what. It doesn't seem to bother India one little bit.
Its because they don't care about Olympic sports. What do you think the reactions are if they lose to Pakistan (or really anyone) at Cricket?

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Asked if he expected the recommendation to be upheld, RUSADA chief Yury Ganus told AFP: "That's the reality."
"We are plunging, for the next four years, into a new phase of Russia's doping crisis," Ganus said, pointing out that the ban would affect Russian athletes at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo and 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.
"The most difficult and tragic thing is that our athletes have become hostages of the actions of our sports officials," he said.
Most difficult and tragic? WTF? Nobody's dying. Why ppl always want to inflate the importance of their activity?

member 305909

FIFA and UEFA don't care about WADA. The same can be said about IIHF. All other sports I don't give a **** for...

I was also kind of wondering that is WADA some supreme authority in sports so that it can impose an all-around ban on a country in any sports. Surely not.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Russia at least in principle banned from the Olympics as well as the IIHF World Championships for four years as recommended. The IIHF has already declared that it would be impossible to move the 2023 tournament away from Russia and the ban does thus not apply.

Nov 9, 2019
Russia at least in principle banned from the Olympics as well as the IIHF World Championships for four years as recommended. The IIHF has already declared that it would be impossible to move the 2023 tournament away from Russia and the ban does thus not apply.

Sooo giving cheaters a pass?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Does this apply to U20 tournament or just the mens tournament?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Sooo giving cheaters a pass?
Are we aware of any specific Russian hockey players who’ve doped?

The whole “neutral flag” thing would be fairly awkward to try and pull off for hockey I’d imagine, I think I’d rather them play as Russia, have another strong team in there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The whole “neutral flag” thing would be fairly awkward to try and pull off for hockey I’d imagine, I think I’d rather them play as Russia, have another strong team in there.

They did it at the Olympics already.

Nov 9, 2019

From my understanding people who had the correct papers could apply for an exception. So why not just let players who get approved participate rather than going "Screw wada, too much effort".

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Accroding to IIHF, WADA ban won't have any impact on WJC 2023 and WHC 2023 in Russia, as to Russian team at the Olympics, it's up to IOC.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Olympics for hockey became meaningless so I don’t even care about it other than being embarrassed for the country

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

They'll circumvent again, and use a different name, but many of their athletes will be banned under even tiniest suspicion of impropriety.

There will also be appeals, which will have an effect going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad