WADA recommends a 4 year ban for Russian Athletes

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
All these regulations are about doping in football, there is nothing about, that any WADA decision/directive must be fulfilled by FIFA.

FIFA was one of the last Olympic federations to adopt the World Anti-Doping Code (the “Code”) when it signed a declaration in support of the Code prior to the Athens Olympics in 2004.1
FIFA’s refusal to follow WADA in strictly imposing a two-year ban for serious doping violations, instead continuing their practice of determining sanctions on a case-by-case basis, led WADA to accuse FIFA of noncompliance with the Code in 2005.2 In 2006, in accordance with an advisory opinion issued by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, FIFA amended its regulations to conform to the Code, imposing a minimum two-year ban from competition for first-time doping offences.3 FIFA also signed the revised version of the Code in 2009.4

FIFA is a WADA signatory, they ( unlike the NHL or other privates leagues) cannot tell wada to go pound sand

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
FIFA was one of the last Olympic federations to adopt the World Anti-Doping Code (the “Code”) when it signed a declaration in support of the Code prior to the Athens Olympics in 2004.1
FIFA’s refusal to follow WADA in strictly imposing a two-year ban for serious doping violations, instead continuing their practice of determining sanctions on a case-by-case basis, led WADA to accuse FIFA of noncompliance with the Code in 2005.2 In 2006, in accordance with an advisory opinion issued by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, FIFA amended its regulations to conform to the Code, imposing a minimum two-year ban from competition for first-time doping offences.3 FIFA also signed the revised version of the Code in 2009.4

FIFA is a WADA signatory, they ( unlike the NHL or other privates leagues) cannot tell wada to go pound sand

UEFA just doesn't give a f*** for any WADA's recommendations/directives. IIHF never cared about them as well. Well, I doubt FIFA's officials any different, especially when it comes to decisions, which aren't about doping in football.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
UEFA just doesn't give a **** for any WADA's recommendations/directives. IIHF never cared about them as well. Well, I doubt FIFA's officials any different, especially when it comes to decisions, which aren't about doping in football.

they are signatories to the code (WADC) which means they voluntarily agree to abide by it. they didn't always, but for the last decade or so, they have agrreed to adhere to the code. the value of this is that you don't have individual federations making a case by case decision.

There ARE big players who are not signatories, the NHL and the NFL for example. But FIFA isn't one of them and hasn't been for quite some time. UEFA isnt a formal signatory, but the IIHF absolutely is.

this information isn't hard to come by

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
fundamentally and transparently false

There is a simple method: take the document, type WADA in search and then learn every phrase, where WADA is used. You'll see there is no a single example, where it is said, FIFA is obligated to fulfil any WADA directive. They are all about doping usage inside football and nothing about any obligations in general.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
There is a simple method: take the document, type WADA in search and then learn every phrase, where WADA is used. You'll see there is no a single example, where it is said, FIFA is obligated to fulfil any WADA directive. They are all about doping usage inside football and nothing about any obligations in general.
so you have access to the interenet ?
Google " signitories to WADC"

this is what t says

CODE SIGNATORIES

THE SPORT ORGANIZATIONS WITHIN THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES HAVE ACCEPTED THE CODE:

Olympic Movement
National Anti-Doping Organizations (NADOs)
Outside the Olympic Movement

under olympic movement summer about 1/3 of the way down is FIFA. for winter sports. lo and behold there is the IIHF.

so both of these have accepted the code but retain the perogative to ignore it at their discretion ?
that's not how this works.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
If Russia is booted from international hockey (without even being able to do the "Hockey Players From Russia" thing), will that lead to some best-on-best contest named The Russia Cup? Remember, The Canada Cup was started when Canada was not playing in World Championships? Just another far-fetched theory... ;)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
so you have access to the interenet ?
Google " signitories to WADC"

this is what t says

CODE SIGNATORIES

THE SPORT ORGANIZATIONS WITHIN THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES HAVE ACCEPTED THE CODE:

Olympic Movement
National Anti-Doping Organizations (NADOs)
Outside the Olympic Movement

under olympic movement summer about 1/3 of the way down is FIFA. for winter sports. lo and behold there is the IIHF.

so both of these have accepted the code but retain the perogative to ignore it at their discretion ?
that's not how this works.

Sport is very politicized. Different organizations are under different influence or even control. IIHF is one of few sport federations, that is very close to Russia. FIFA is by far the most powerful and rich federation, which body used to be very corrupted, and I doubt, corruption is fully gone. In any way, FIFA officials are hardly very enthusiastic, that any organizations from outside can dictate it, what it should do and what shouldn't. That's why you can expect any decision from it, especially on a pretty controversal matter.

WADA is controlled by US and its allies, you can't expect anything unbiased towards Russia from it. I'm sure, if I understand it, a lot of people understand it too. So we shall see.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sport is very politicized. Different organizations are under different influence or even control. IIHF is one of few sport federations, that is very close to Russia. FIFA is by far the most powerful and rich federation, which body used to be very corrupted, and I doubt, corruption is fully gone. In any way, FIFA officials are hardly very enthusiastic, that any organizations from outside can dictate it, what it should do and what shouldn't. That's why you can expect any decision from it, especially on a pretty controversal matter.

WADA is controlled by US and its allies, you can't expect anything unbiased towards Russia from it. I'm sure, if I understand it, a lot of people understand it too. So we shall see.

It's really not. For example almost half it's funding comes from Europe. Plus, count the number of Americans: Executive Committee

Please keep your (wrong) political ideology to yourself on this board.

member 305909

Its because they don't care about Olympic sports. What do you think the reactions are if they lose to Pakistan (or really anyone) at Cricket?

At the 2016 Olympics India received one silver and one bronze. That's all. Just imagine if China or the USA had a similar result. They would be absolutely outraged. However, India, the world's second most populous country, didn't care.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
At the 2016 Olympics India received one silver and one bronze. That's all. Just imagine if China or the USA had a similar result. They would be absolutely outraged. However, India, the world's second most populous country, didn't care.
Again, that's because the sport they are passionate about isn't part of the Olympics. Again, look at how they react if they show badly in the World Cup of Cricket.

I mean, as a Canadian, I don't really care if we win one medal. Unless its best on best Hockey, and if it is, we better win gold.

member 305909

I'm sure the Americans or the Chinese don't care about 99% of the Olympic sports where they win medals but I'm sure if they won only two medals they would consider it unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad