W.Nylander vs Larkin in overall value

Nylander or larkin?

• Total voters

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
If Larkin repeats what he did last year then him, but Nylander's proven that he's at least a 60+ point player so far.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think if you talked to a GM they would give up more to get themselves a player like Larkin than they would a Nylander. A 2 way center with comparable offense to an offensive winger is going to be worth more. I also think Nylander has a bit of softness in his game that Matthews and Hyman being work horses on the forecheck/corners helps make up for. Larkin plays more of that role on his line and still has similar offensive output.

All things considered theyre pretty close though and that could change this year. I would expect these guys to end up fairly similar and maybe if one has a down year and one has a better year are the only times you see much noticeable separation of the 2

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
If Larkin repeats what he did last year then him, but Nylander's proven that he's at least a 60+ point player so far.
:huh: Larkin just scored 63 points shooting at 6.9% with **** linemates on a **** team. I’m willing to bet my savings he scores 60 again this year.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
In overall value? Well they're both relatively similar statistically, but Larkin's a center. So logically, it's Larkin.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
In overall value? Well they're both relatively similar statistically, but Larkin's a center. So logically, it's Larkin.

* Larkin gets to play center

Nylander is a natural center, it's just that he can't play C here because the Leafs have Tavares, Matthews and Kadri up the middle. If he played for a team without that kind of center depth he would have the opportunity to play center. He still takes more than his fair share of draws with him and Matthews splitting them and he's over 50% in FO. Larkin wouldn't be a center here either, he'd be on the wing.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Close, but Nylander.

They are similar 5v5 but Nylander is significantly better on the PP.

Larkin is a proven C, which helps his case, and is probably better than Nyander defensively, though it's debatable considering Nylander is a takeaway god.

Larkin's value is really hurt by how ineffective he is on the PP.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
* Larkin gets to play center

Nylander is a natural center, it's just that he can't play C here because the Leafs have Tavares, Matthews and Kadri up the middle. If he played for a team without that kind of center depth he would have the opportunity to play center. He still takes more than his fair share of draws with him and Matthews splitting them and he's over 50% in FO. Larkin wouldn't be a center here either, he'd be on the wing.

They didn't have Tavares up until now and he still wasn't playing center...

Just don't forget that while you can claim the Leafs have better options, that means he's getting better players to play with too.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Close, but Nylander.

They are similar 5v5 but Nylander is significantly better on the PP.

Larkin is a proven C, which helps his case, and is probably better than Nyander defensively, though it's debatable considering Nylander is a takeaway god.

Larkin's value is really hurt by how ineffective he is on the PP.
Maybe this has something to do with Nylander having much better 5on5 linemates and playing on a much better power play?

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Maybe this has something to do with Nylander having much better 5on5 linemates and playing on a much better power play?
If your PP scoring rate is hardly an increase on your ES scoring rate, I think there's a problem there.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Lol than McDavid has a huge problem.
McDavid does score at a significantly higher rate on the PP than at ES... A 1.2pts/60 increase on the PP compared to ES last year, compared to only .3 for Larkin.

Even if McDavid was hardly better at scoring on the PP than compared to ES, there's obviously a difference when you're scoring at an elite rate at 5v5 than when you're merely scoring at a good rate 5v5.

If you're the best player in the world, you can afford to be relatively worse on the PP. If you're a low-end #1 C, you have less room for error.

Reactions: Garthinater

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Larkin is that guy on detroit so its hard not to go with him right now but not sure in the future.
Nylander has the better production given his minutes but is better insulated. Should be interesting in the future.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The only thing I would consider Nylander better at is playmaking and everything else is Larkin

He's -9 going up against the +20 guy, who led the league in neutral zones takeaways, and higher PPG% than Crosby and McDavid.

...but I know you're pure hate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad