W. Nylander or F. Forsberg?

Which player would you take going forward?

• Total voters

Mar 26, 2010
Willy Nylander is very underrated playing on the same team with Matthews, Marner, Tavares and company.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
No matter how I look at it, Forsberg has been better at scoring goals, right? The only way he isn't is if you only look at last season or something.

Huh? Forsberg has absolutely been a better goal scorer, for the vast majority of their careers.

Forsberg has scored at a 29.5 goals per season "pace" for his entire career. He has five seasons with more than 25 goals.
Nylander sits at a 23.4 goals per season pace. He has one season with more than 25 goals.

Last year Nylander had more goals, and is ahead by 3 goals this year, but overall......It's not that close.

Wait are you guys talking about career wise?

Last 2 seasons combined:

Nylander: 111 GP, 45 G (0.4 GPG)

Forsberg: 97 GP, 32 G (0.33 GPG)

This year is very close and there is 0 evidence Forsberg is a better goal scorer.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
FF has never had a #1 center next to him.

Heck, has he ever even had a #1 line winger on his line?

If FF got to play with Matthews or Marner, he would have 90-100 points per season.
LMAO calm down.

Nylander doesnt even play with them, its Tavares.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You're triple posting but telling other people to calm down. :laugh: People can disagree with you, it's okay.
am i limited to 1 reply a thread?

its not even something to "disagree" on. guy had a wacky hypothetical and didnt even get Nylanders linemates correct.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wait are you guys talking about career wise?

Last 2 seasons combined:

Nylander: 111 GP, 45 G (0.4 GPG)

Forsberg: 97 GP, 32 G (0.33 GPG)

This year is very close and there is 0 evidence Forsberg is a better goal scorer.

That's literally entirely due to last season. Every other season of their career, including this one they've been the same or Forsbsrg has been better. Forsberg has also has a lower than usual shooting percentage over this time frame, which Nylander's is unusually high for him. Seems pretty likely last year was an aberration in terms of goals for Nylander.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
That's literally entirely due to last season. Every other season of their career, including this one they've been the same or Forsbsrg has been better. Forsberg has also has a lower than usual shooting percentage over this time frame, which Nylander's is unusually high for him. Seems pretty likely last year was an aberration in terms of goals for Nylander.
so conveniently the most recent year doesnt mean anything?

Nylander outscored Forsberg last year, and are relatively even this year. im not even trying to say Nylander is better, just disputing the statement in which Forsberg is a better goalscorer.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The only thing that makes me consider Nylander here, is having a couple of extra years of "cost certainty" under contract. But for the Canucks...i'd go with the better player, and the better fit...and just have to roll the dice on being able to get Forsberg extended at a reasonable number beyond that, and hope that the opportunity to play with Pettersson is enough of a selling point to make that happen.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The only thing that makes me consider Nylander here, is having a couple of extra years of "cost certainty" under contract. But for the Canucks...i'd go with the better player, and the better fit...and just have to roll the dice on being able to get Forsberg extended at a reasonable number beyond that, and hope that the opportunity to play with Pettersson is enough of a selling point to make that happen.
I look at it like this:

If you replace Nylander with Forsberg on the Leafs, are they better? The answer is yes. So he's the better player.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Huh? Forsberg has absolutely been a better goal scorer, for the vast majority of their careers.

Forsberg has scored at a 29.5 goals per season "pace" for his entire career. He has five seasons with more than 25 goals.
Nylander sits at a 23.4 goals per season pace. He has one season with more than 25 goals.

Last year Nylander had more goals, and is ahead by 3 goals this year, but overall......It's not that close.
If you're basing this poll on 2014-2018 you pick Forsberg. If you look at the past 2-3 seasons as the most relevant (why wouldn't you?) then the answer is Nylander.

Forsberg has been regressing since his first few years while Nylander is getting better.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If Forsberg were traded for Nylander this poll wouldn’t be close. Forsberg wouldn’t even be a tertiary offensive threat in Toronto as he’d be behind Matthews/Marner/Tavares and he’d get the chance to play next to a star center and on a very talented power play unit.

Nylander would suddenly have to be the one leading an anemic Nashville offense. Johansson, Duchene, Turris etc it seems like Nashville tanks a forwards production

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I haven't seen Forsberg this season, but unless he has taken a step back I'd take him of the two. Either would be a fine 3rd/4th best forward on a team.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
There's no hate. He is a weak defensive player who is not as good as Forsberg in the clutch or in the tight scoring games.

Ok, I'll give you a chance: Show your work.

Youd think with the best C depth in the league, and 2 1st line calibre wingers, with a top 10 number 1 D you wouldnt be shutout 2 times in 5 games against a star-less forward crop last year. Yet I have hate and you aint the delusional one.

Haters often use the past.
He also scored 4pts in 5g in that series.

Nylander scores .73 PPG in regular season and .6 in playoffs.
Forsberg scores .78 PPG regular season .75 in playoffs.

Give me Forsberg any day of the week.

Even lately, with his decline

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
If you're basing this poll on 2014-2018 you pick Forsberg. If you look at the past 2-3 seasons as the most relevant (why wouldn't you?) then the answer is Nylander.

Forsberg has been regressing since his first few years while Nylander is getting better.

Uh, no.

Nylander had an outlier year(last year) where he had an unusually high shooting percentage, and overachieved to score 31 goals(he was pacing for 37, I think?). THIS season, he's fallen back to earth and is pacing for his usual 20-25 goals and 60-65 points.

Last year, Forsberg paced for his usual 27-28 goals(his career average is 29 goals) and 62 points. THIS season, he's just a tiny bit off his goal pace, at 26 goals and he's actually pacing for 70 points.

Forsberg iis not regressing in the slightest, and he consistently puts up better numbers than Nylander.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Uh, no.

Nylander had an outlier year(last year) where he had an unusually high shooting percentage, and overachieved to score 31 goals(he was pacing for 37, I think?). THIS season, he's fallen back to earth and is pacing for his usual 20-25 goals and 60-65 points.

Last year, Forsberg paced for his usual 27-28 goals(his career average is 29 goals) and 62 points. THIS season, he's just a tiny bit off his goal pace, at 26 goals and he's actually pacing for 70 points.

Forsberg iis not regressing in the slightest, and he consistently puts up better numbers than Nylander.
Except for just last season which for some reason doesn't count, right? This season they are having similarly productive years.

Forsberg's goal scoring has regressed since his first few seasons, Nylander's has increased.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Except for just last season which for some reason doesn't count, right? This season they are having similarly productive years.

Forsberg's goal scoring has regressed since his first few seasons, Nylander's has increased.

LOL. You said Forsberg has regressed and Nylander is coming on.......that's simply not the truth and that's all I was commenting on.

Nylander had ONE year where he bettered Forsberg. Every other year of their careers......including this year, Forsberg has outproduced Nylander. And Nylander is on pace for 26-27 goals this year. That's down quite a bit from last year's outlier.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
LOL. You said Forsberg has regressed and Nylander is coming on.......that's simply not the truth and that's all I was commenting on.

Nylander had ONE year where he bettered Forsberg. Every other year of their careers......including this year, Forsberg has outproduced Nylander. And Nylander is on pace for 26-27 goals this year. That's down quite a bit from last year's outlier.
Forsberg's point production has stayed fairly consistent. The difference is Forsberg was a better goal scorer at the start of his career and Nylander is a better goal scorer now.

I assumed you were a Leaf fan so I figured you knew about Nylander's contract year which is the real outlier of his career. Since then he has been a much better player and since then he has been better than Forsberg.

I'm not sure when you are judging a player's current abilities you do not like to use their most recent seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad