W. Nylander or F. Forsberg?

Which player would you take going forward?

• Total voters

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
For your particular team, which player would you take going forward? With AAV & term also considered. (If your team can’t afford either cap hit this upcoming season ignore it)

Both highly creative players, both shoot right (LW vs RW), Forsberg is 2 years older, 1 YR vs 3 YR after this season.

For Ottawa I think pretty clearly you would have to go with Nylander on this one for the following reasons:

1/ Not sure if they’re use to playing the other side or not, but Ottawa seems pretty set at LW with Stützle, Tkachuk, Formenton.

2/ Although Forsberg is young, Nylander is closer in age to the core that Ottawa has.

3/ Forsberg being UFA at the end of next year vs Nylander having remaining term. Especially with a Senators team this is pretty important.

William Nylander - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Filip Forsberg - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
William Nylander Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Filip Forsberg Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

What are your guys thought? Is it close?

Last edited by a moderator:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Considering everything this is easily Nylander. I sure wouldnt trade him straight up for Forsberg.

Fairly comparable players, Nylander is slightly younger but Forsberg being a UFA next year should hurt him here.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Ignoring contracts, I pick Forsberg. He's been a better goal scorer with worse centers and playmakers. He'd light it up in Toronto.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I missed the contract aspect before I voted which could change things. But excluding contracts, you throw Forsberg into the situation Nylanders in and I think its clear that hes the better player.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is easily Forsberg. Guy is a machine and steps up in the clutch and can play all styles of the game. He can beat you with speed, with physical play etc. And he is putting up similar stats with significantly worse centermen and on a defensive oriented team. Nylander is far, far more perimeter and can be isolated.

You can win a cup with Forsberg as your best winger, you wont win one with Nylander.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
This is easily Forsberg. Guy is a machine and steps up in the clutch and can play all styles of the game. He can beat you with speed, with physical play etc. And he is putting up similar stats with significantly worse centermen and on a defensive oriented team. Nylander is far, far more perimeter and can be isolated.

You can win a cup with Forsberg as your best winger, you wont win one with Nylander.
Seems like you know Forsberg well, but Nylander isnt a perimeter player.

also the last part makes no sense. there isnt much difference between them, and i dont think you are going places if Forsberg is your best winger.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Seems like you know Forsberg well, but Nylander isnt a perimeter player.

also the last part makes no sense. there isnt much difference between them, and i dont think you are going places if Forsberg is your best winger.
So what you are saying is the that a team isn’t going anywhere if Nylander is the best winger? I’m not sure I agree with that.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So what you are saying is the that a team isn’t going anywhere if Nylander is the best winger? I’m not sure I agree with that.
i mean, i dont know. i dont even like that hyperbole anyway. Nylander is a 1st line caliber winger and depending on the team structure who knows.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
i mean, i dont know. i dont even like that hyperbole anyway. Nylander is a 1st line caliber winger and depending on the team structure who knows.
Agree. That’s why I take exception to your statement on Forsberg. It’s team dependent. For my team, if Forsberg (or Nylander) was the best winger, we’d be fine. So saying a team wouldn’t b going places if Forsberg was the best winger isn’t accurate.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Agree. That’s why I take exception to your statement on Forsberg. It’s team dependent. For my team, if Forsberg (or Nylander) was the best winger, we’d be fine. So saying a team wouldn’t b going places if Forsberg was the best winger isn’t accurate.
i was just going off of the "You can win a cup with Forsberg as your best winger, you wont win one with Nylander." quote from the other poster. doesnt really make sense.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
RKL has the hate flowing through him.

There's no hate. He is a weak defensive player who is not as good as Forsberg in the clutch or in the tight scoring games.

Youd think with the best C depth in the league, and 2 1st line calibre wingers, with a top 10 number 1 D you wouldnt be shutout 2 times in 5 games against a star-less forward crop last year. Yet I have hate and you aint the delusional one.

Nylander scores .73 PPG in regular season and .6 in playoffs.
Forsberg scores .78 PPG regular season .75 in playoffs.

Give me Forsberg any day of the week.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
that part isnt true

Huh? Forsberg has absolutely been a better goal scorer, for the vast majority of their careers.

Forsberg has scored at a 29.5 goals per season "pace" for his entire career. He has five seasons with more than 25 goals.
Nylander sits at a 23.4 goals per season pace. He has one season with more than 25 goals.

Last year Nylander had more goals, and is ahead by 3 goals this year, but overall......It's not that close.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
FF has never had a #1 center next to him.

Heck, has he ever even had a #1 line winger on his line?

If FF got to play with Matthews or Marner, he would have 90-100 points per season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad