W. Nylander or F. Forsberg?

Which player would you take going forward?

• Total voters

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Forsberg's point production has stayed fairly consistent. The difference is Forsberg was a better goal scorer at the start of his career and Nylander is a better goal scorer now.

I assumed you were a Leaf fan so I figured you knew about Nylander's contract year which is the real outlier of his career. Since then he has been a much better player and since then he has been better than Forsberg.

I'm not sure when you are judging a player's current abilities you do not like to use their most recent seasons.

I certainly AM a Leaf fan, but I also know what's what. And you're fooling yourself if you think a few more goals from Nylander last year makes him the "better" player. There's all the games Willy plays where he floats and looks disinterested and is invisible. Forsberg does that MUCH less often.

Even just looking at last year and this year. Last year, Nylander did indeed come out ahead. THIS year, it's Forsberg.

2019/20 (82 game paces)
Nylander 37G 71P
Forsberg 27G 62P

2020/21 (82 game pace)
Nylander 27G 67P
Forsberg 26.5G 70P

And Nylander lost every other year before these two. So that's one win for him, and a whole pile of losses.

What more proof do you need?

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I certainly AM a Leaf fan, but I also know what's what. And you're fooling yourself if you think a few more goals from Nylander last year makes him the "better" player. There's all the games Willy plays where he floats and looks disinterested and is invisible. Forsberg does that MUCH less often.

Even just looking at last year and this year. Last year, Nylander did indeed come out ahead. THIS year, it's Forsberg.

2019/20 (82 game paces)
Nylander 37G 71P
Forsberg 27G 62P

2020/21 (82 game pace)
Nylander 27G 67P
Forsberg 26.5G 70P

And Nylander lost every other year before these two. So that's one win for him, and a whole pile of losses.

So based on the information you just posted, those numbers tell you Forsberg is the better player? Add those together and it comes out as: Nylander 64 G 138 P, Forsberg 54 G 132 P.

I'm not saying Nylander is way better or anything either. They are obviously close. Since Nylander's hold out year I think he has been and is the better player and the numbers support that.

If you dig into advanced statistics, primary points, even strength points the past two season they all say Nylander is better as well.

Your argument is based on who was better 4-5 years ago, we are talking about today.

Reactions: authentic

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
So based on the information you just posted, those numbers tell you Forsberg is the better player? Add those together and it comes out as: Nylander 64 G 138 P, Forsberg 54 G 132 P.

I'm not saying Nylander is way better or anything either. They are obviously close. Since Nylander's hold out year I think he has been and is the better player and the numbers support that.

If you dig into advanced statistics, primary points, even strength points the past two season they all say Nylander is better as well.

Your argument is based on who was better 4-5 years ago, we are talking about today.

LOL. You will believe what you want to believe, and twist the stats to suit your weak arguments. Enjoy. :)

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
LOL. You will believe what you want to believe, and twist the stats to suit your weak arguments. Enjoy. :)
Lol what stats am I twisting? I used the stats that you presented.

You've had nothing to say except that Forsberg had better stats 4-5 years ago and Nylander's recent seasons shouldn't count. Stellar argument buddy.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Nylander, younger and plays with more intensity. Forsberg is great but Wille.

I don't think that's true, depending on your definition of intense. Nylander plays the game like a cool cucumber, holding onto the puck, that's his game.

Forsberg will body guys, crash the net and be hard on the forecheck. you don't really see that from Nylander.

It's closer than the poll probably indicates but id lean to Forsberg for now. The leafs who have a reputation of being 'soft' and lacking finish, would probably be better offf with a Nylander Forsberg swap on paper.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Lol what stats am I twisting? I used the stats that you presented.

You've had nothing to say except that Forsberg had better stats 4-5 years ago and Nylander's recent seasons shouldn't count. Stellar argument buddy.

LOL. You ignored that Forsberg is actually doing better this year and combined the stats I showed.

And that's not what I said AT ALL about 4-5 years ago vs. recent seasons. I showed that Forsberg has had better numbers in every year of their careers, except for ONE. That's a massive difference, to "better stats 4-5 years ago". But keep twisting and stretching, Man. It's the only way you can try and win your argument, I guess.

Oh by the way.......look at the poll results. Perhaps you don't know what you're talking about, eh? Seems clear to me. :)

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
LOL. You ignored that Forsberg is actually doing better this year and combined the stats I showed.

And that's not what I said AT ALL about 4-5 years ago vs. recent seasons. I showed that Forsberg has had better numbers in every year of their careers, except for ONE. That's a massive difference, to "better stats 4-5 years ago". But keep twisting and stretching, Man. It's the only way you can try and win your argument, I guess.

Oh by the way.......look at the poll results. Perhaps you don't know what you're talking about, eh? Seems clear to me. :)
Their paced stats are nearly identical this season. If Nylander had 1 more assist they would be within 1 point. Huge win for Forsberg right? Shows the type of arguments you make.

Nylander has been a better player since his contract holdout, the fact you don't know/understand that and claim you are a Leafs fan is interesting.

You claim that Forsberg has had better numbers every year except for one but Nylander had better numbers during his rookie season and last season. This season is very close but Forsberg has played 10 less games. So 2/5 for Nylander, 2/5 for Forsberg (1 during Nylander's contract holdout year), 1 very close but I would say Nylander has been better this season due to more games played.

Nylander is also 2 years younger and is not injured every season like Forsberg.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

2019/20 (82 game paces)
Nylander 37G 71P
Forsberg 27G 62P

2020/21 (82 game pace)
Nylander 27G 67P
Forsberg 26.5G 70P

Jeez man, you must really dislike Nylander considering you're like the most bias Leaf fan on here.

As for the poll question, did you take into consideration age and contract status?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Jeez man, you must really dislike Nylander considering you're like the most bias Leaf fan on here.

As for the poll question, did you take into consideration age and contract status?

LOL. Not at all. I like him just fine. He's a damn good player. But Forsberg is a bit better and I know it. Nylander has the ability to take over a game, and he also has the ability to float for 5 games. That plays a BIG part in my preference.

And I'm never biased. ;) I tell it like it is, but I also play with the Leaf haters out there.

Yes, age and salary.......whatever. That doesn't mean much to me.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
LOL. Not at all. I like him just fine. He's a damn good player. But Forsberg is a bit better and I know it. Nylander has the ability to take over a game, and he also has the ability to float for 5 games. That plays a BIG part in my preference.

And I'm never biased. ;) I tell it like it is, but I also play with the Leaf haters out there.

so you'd still take Forsberg who is a UFA next year over 3 more guaranteed years of Nylander?

i dont think i ever said Nylander is the better player, its very close, but all things considered the off ice factors tilt things for me.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
I don't think that's true, depending on your definition of intense. Nylander plays the game like a cool cucumber, holding onto the puck, that's his game.

Forsberg will body guys, crash the net and be hard on the forecheck. you don't really see that from Nylander.

It's closer than the poll probably indicates but id lean to Forsberg for now. The leafs who have a reputation of being 'soft' and lacking finish, would probably be better offf with a Nylander Forsberg swap on paper.

No I don't think so, better you explain your own opinion's then others. IOM Nylander have the ability to shift tempo/intensity to a degree that Forsberg doesn't. I would choose Nylander. I think Forsberg is a bit slow the first steps. Great shot and good playmaker and more size but would go with Willie.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

Age, salary, recent play...why would any of that matter when discussing which player you'd rather have going forward?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Age, salary, recent play...why would any of that matter when discussing which player you'd rather have going forward?

You REALLY can't take it when someone doesn't share your opinion, huh? LMAO. Let me guess......you're a teenaged boy.

When I choose a player in a poll like this, I look at their whole career, especially if the whole career consists of only 5-6 years.

And when the players are only 2 years apart in age, and one is signed at 6M for 1 more year and one at 7M for 3 more years, I tend to see them as the KINDA the same in age/salary. One will cost a bit more in a few years........maybe(it all depends on the market/GM, etc.). But odds are that that guy puts up better numbers anyway so he's likely worth it.

Now I get that you don't like that someone on the internet doesn't agree with you. But NO ONE CARES, KID. Buzz off. :)

Last edited:

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
You REALLY can't take it when someone doesn't share your opinion, huh? LMAO. Let me guess......you're a teenaged boy.

When I choose a player in a poll like this, I look at their whole career, especially if the whole career consists of only 5-6 years.

And when the players are only 2 years apart in age, and one is signed at 6M for 1 more year and one at 7M for 3 more years, I tend to see them as the same in age/salary. One will cost a bit more in a few years........maybe. But that guy puts up better numbers so he's likely worth it.

Now I get that you don't like that someone on the internet doesn't agree with you. But NO ONE CARES, KID. Buzz off. :)
Lol you are on an internet forum yelling at someone you think is a teenage boy.

When discussing players most people present their case and explain why they agree or disagree. You are unable to provide any sort of viable argument to back up what you are saying and instead stomp your feet and throw a tantrum when you're terrible argument is thrown back in your face.

You say Forsberg puts up better numbers but you know that isn't true.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Lol you are on an internet forum yelling at someone you think is a teenage boy.

When discussing players most people present their case and explain why they agree or disagree. You are unable to provide any sort of viable argument to back up what you are saying and instead stomp your feet and throw a tantrum when you're terrible argument is thrown back in your face.

You say Forsberg puts up better numbers but you know that isn't true.

LOL. I said that Forsberg scored more goals, when you claimed he didn't. And he does. More goals, and a few more points too, the last 5 years.........and in fewer games.

NYLANDER, LAST 5 YEARS
328GP 94G 149A 243P

FORSRBERG, LAST 5 YEARS
310GP 117G 132A 249P

Of course it doesn't matter what I put up here to show you, kid. You only wanna believe what you wanna believe. So have at 'er.

Buh bye.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
LOL. I said that Forsberg scored more goals, when you claimed he didn't. And he does. More goals, and a few more points too, the last 5 years.........and in fewer games.

NYLANDER, LAST 5 YEARS
328GP 94G 149A 243P

FORSRBERG, LAST 5 YEARS
310GP 117G 132A 249P

Of course it doesn't matter what I put up here to show you, kid. You only wanna believe what you wanna believe. So have at 'er.

Buh bye.
Every single post you make you have to go back 5 years. That should tell you something. If you have to go back to when Nylander was a rookie to make your case then it's not a good one.

It's not hard to understand, Nylander has been a better player since his contract holdout and he's been better than Forsberg. That is undisputable.

Better recent play, not injured every year, younger, better contract situation. Easy decision.

....run away though bud.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Without looking at the stats and just watching all the games Nylander has played against the Oilers, I'd assume he was a 60 goal 120 point player.

I voted him just because he's sneaky good.

I also haven't watched Forsberg at all this season. Haven't even bothered watching Nashville highlights. His numbers look alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad