W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Bourgault is a late birthday so he will be out of the league when Bolduc/Robidas/Roy/L'Heureux are 19

Bourgault is on the fast track, he has been improving rapidly these last 2 years and looks to be an NHL 1st rounder (or early 2nd) at the next draft. I think it's a toss up who goes 1st between him, Bolduc, L'Heureux or Roy, but I personally have a soft spot for L'Heureux. Robidas will likely be selected a little later because of his size. Dean is also in the conversation, and don't forget Reynolds from Saint John.

Bourgault should come close to 100 pts next year with Bourque and Shawinigan should compete for the Memorial Cup
It’s hard not to like L’Heureux, there’s some great QC talent in the 2003 brith year and 2004. 2005 is the year of the goalies, well actually 2004 has those too.

I’ll second this Robidas sentiment, his size and lack of exposure this year will hurt him but he could be a steal, very skilled, high iq, great passsing and vision, agile, good edges, does muck it up and has some scoring touch. Another one who could benefit from a pushed back draft.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here's a quick game report at his performance on October 24th 2020.

This was a beautiful showing from Roy, who used his superb hockey senses, outstanding creativity and brilliant puck-handling abilities to play an effective game through all three zones. The Canadian prospect read and processed information very quickly on breakouts, which allowed him to find outlets promptly, without any hesitations. He excelled at weaving through sticks and pressure to find the right passing lanes thanks to nifty edge work, fantastic spacial recognition and lightning-quick hands. Despite a habit to lay-back in transition due to a subpar acceleration and speed, I thought Roy got involved on counterattacks very well tonight. He was far from a menace with the puck, but when he kept his feet moving, he could follow the offence and get to spots effectively. The cycle play was once again his darling tonight, as he floated around dangerous areas as a constant scoring threat and showed his complete skillset in tight. Roy stands out for his excellent instinctive positioning, being able to jump on rebounds without decent quickness and sneaking his way behind the defence. The 2021 NHL Draft eligible also flashed extraordinary shifty mitts to dangle in traffic and make his way into the slot. He will need to improve his shooting power to be a threat from outside, but his wicked scoring touch and remarkably accurate wrist shot already allows him to bury high-danger chances with precision or even thread the needle from tough angles. Roy is also a terrific passer, who uses wonderful anticipation and a sublime touch to place pucks at the perfect spot. He displayed an encouraging tenacity along the board and a great puck protection despite his unfilled frame. Playing at a disadvantage through poor skating abilities and a lack of upper body strength has enabled Roy to develop certain part of his game that others didn’t necessarily touch. He has great instincts, a tremendous vision, nifty puck protection, phenomenal puck skills and a spectacular touch, all developed to adjust to his shortcomings. If a team believes they can improve his athletic abilities, they might just come out with a special player. Thanks to his offensive potential, I would start to look at Roy at the end of the 2nd, early 3rd.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
A quick game report on his performance on January 30th 2021 :

Roy is a skilled offensive player who excels at making play in a set position, but struggles to push the pace of the play due to undeveloped athletics abilities. He showed to be an adept finisher who relied on delightful puck skills, superb shooting accuracy and sublime vision to impact the game on the cycle offence. Playing on the right wing tonight, the left-handed forward exhibited the dexterity to get to open spots in high-danger areas. This allowed him to get various menacing opportunities thanks to smart off-puck positioning alone. Owning to an excellent vision and passing touch, Roy did not only open the play smoothly, but he created a few occasions for his teammates as well. The 2021 NHL draft eligible possesses impressive stick-handling abilities that allowed him protect his puck in tight areas. Despite a few scoring chances on the cycle, Roy had a very marginal impact on the game, especially due to his poor skating abilities and lack of upper-body strength. The problem was, most of his plays came from a set position, and when it was time to push the pace in transition or the puck pursuit, he trailed behind. Roy exhibited heavy feet on his 2-3 steps acceleration, completely lacking explosion, and he reached very low top speeds. With the possession of the disc on zone entries, he frequently showed a lack of strength or speed to get around rearguards, who easily knocked him off the puck. I’ve noticed a few flaws in his stride that could be improved for better results. First up, Roy keeps a very upright stance throughout straight-line drives, which doesn’t allow him to push through with optimal power. He also just doesn’t extend his legs all the way through, which often make it seems like he’s not going all out. But most importantly, I’d like to see him be more active with his feet, moving with the play. Because he struggled to keep up with the pace of breakouts, Roy often stayed very high on the outlet, which resulted in him being even more erased from the action. The Canadian prospect excels at opening the play on the outlet and creating zone exits, I’d like to see him as involved as possible. Besides, Roy uses his great mind for the game to process developing attacks, and he is willing to make the effort to come on the backcheck if he reads he needs to. Although it was a pretty uninspired game for Roy, I’m optimistic about his future with Sherbrooke. If he can develop better habits with off-puck movement and improve his athletic qualities, he possesses the skillset to make an impact and raise his stock for the upcoming draft.

Reactions: montreal

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Why is this kid not ranked higher?

He doesn't really have anything that makes you think "that's really going to work at the next level" when you watch him. Skating is sub par, average size but not very physical, the only real good pro quality he has is his shot and IQ in terms of knowing where to be in the offensive zone.

Reactions: m0pe

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here's my Deep Dive on Joshua Roy for anyone interested! 2000 words, 15 clip-exploration and more on the 2021 NHL Draft eligible.

"One of the biggest enigmas of the draft class and someone I’ve very curious to watch progress over the upcoming years is Sherbrooke Phoenix forward Joshua Roy. In short, I would describe Roy as one of the most talented and skilled hockey player you can find in the 2021 NHL Draft class, but someone who showed limited athletic abilities and careless inconsistencies in his compete level and focus.

So how can one evolve into such a dominant player with clear exposed flaws, and could it be possible for him to mature into an NHL player?

Passion and dedication to developing his craft, Roy found ways to survive and dominate at the highest junior levels despite his athletic shortcomings. His flourishing hockey skill doesn’t hurt, either. That said, due to his high-talent level, Roy was able to linger through his career to date by masking many of his drawbacks. But the clear holes left in his skillset leave a certain edginess in scouts at the idea of selecting him.

Describing him as a typical middle-round gamble wouldn’t be fair to his talent level, so to get a better, clearer sense of what to expect with his development and potential, I’ve taken a look at every game of his this past season."

Deep Dive: A look into Joshua Roy's game - FCHockey
Joshua Roy Thumbnail 2.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I can’t believe he was picked so late. His scoring ability will get him NHL games. If he rounds out the rest, he could be a top 6/9 forward.

I think some are worried about his compete level and focus but still he fell way further than he should have.

Time will tell if he is another great junior player or if he can translate into a productive NHLers.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad