W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
The rich getting richer! Saint John who already has several talented youngsters will add Joshua Roy after winning the QMJHL Draft Lottery. They had the worst odds but still went from 5th to 1st!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The rich getting richer! Saint John who already has several talented youngsters will add Joshua Roy after winning the QMJHL Draft Lottery. They had the worst odds but still went from 5th to 1st!

As if, is the Q the only league with a lottery?

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

last year when they lost was like their only time in the lotto not winning....used be be a coin flip but they are still like 5/6. Despres, Sauve, Grant, Veleno, and now another #1. 5th time since 05 picking 1st

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
last year when they lost was like their only time in the lotto not winning....used be be a coin flip but they are still like 5/6. Despres, Sauve, Grant, Veleno, and now another #1. 5th time since 05 picking 1st

6th time ;) We also took Luke Green 1st overall. And last year was literally the 1st time Saint John lost a lotto (we picked 2nd despite best odds of winning).

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
705F4404-0739-4A0E-931B-49D529CB9190.jpeg

Creds to Andy for making this. This teams gonna be poppin in the 2021 and 2022 seasons!

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
6th time ;) We also took Luke Green 1st overall. And last year was literally the 1st time Saint John lost a lotto (we picked 2nd despite best odds of winning).

Meanwhile the Cats are 0/2 on getting a top 2 pick with the best odds in the past 3 years. Fallen to 3rd both times. Missed on Laf/Poulin but Pelletier was a great consolation. Hopefully for their sake they can make up for missing on Roy with another great pick at 3.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Apparently he might not show up to the draft tomorrow, reconsidering his options. Don’t know how to post a tweet but the link is below.

Is it a smokescreen so he falls to the team he wants? Saint John, Val d’Or and Moncton have the top 3 picks (in that order). Moncton should be a contender this year while Saint John and Val d’Or are both rebuilding.

Edit: tweet showed up I guess

Last edited:

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I believe Saint John (first OA) is rumoured to be drafting Reynolds and Roy doesn't want to go to Val D'or, hence this decision.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I believe Saint John (first OA) is rumoured to be drafting Reynolds and Roy doesn't want to go to Val D'or, hence this decision.
Come on...

Crybaby decisions like this is why small town teams (Val d'Or, Sudbury, Baie Comeau, Shawinigan) get stuck in mediocrity why all the big cities get the good teams...

Reactions: Flamesfan62

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Come on...

Crybaby decisions like this is why small town teams (Val d'Or, Sudbury, Baie Comeau, Shawinigan) get stuck in mediocrity why all the big cities get the good teams...

Completely agree, it's ridiculous and even as a fan a team that benefits from his (Mooseheads) I agree it's still wrong. Moose get Barron 13th overall for example, because he wouldn't report elsewhere. It's not fair to the smaller market teams and it really weakens the league as a whole.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Completely agree, it's ridiculous and even as a fan a team that benefits from his (Mooseheads) I agree it's still wrong. Moose get Barron 13th overall for example, because he wouldn't report elsewhere. It's not fair to the smaller market teams and it really weakens the league as a whole.
People rip on the Q because there's a huge disparity between the best and worst teams (it's true) but how can small teams be competitive when many good players simply won't report to them? It's a vicious cycle too; players don't report because the teams are consistently bad, and the teams are consistently bad because players don't report.

Ask Brad Marchand if he liked his experience in Val-d'Or.

Reactions: EnglishJet

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
They'll have a top team within 2 years and that's not even including any veterans or import players

Saint John 16 years old:
F Joshua Roy
F Cam MacDonald
F Peter Reynolds
F Robert Orr
F Charles Savoie

Saint John 17 years old:
F Josh Lawrence
F Brady Burns
F Dawson Stairs
F Alex Drover
F Jack Williams
F Alexandre O'Neill
F Alexis Belisle
D William Villeneuve
D Jeremie Poirier
D Charlie DesRoches
D Nicolas Kakouras
G Mathias Savoie

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's started somewhat slow for such a hyped player with only 8 points in 16 games.

I wasn't sure what to expect of him playing at the WHC-17.

He was bad early on in the first game. Whiffed on pucks, couldn't control slightly difficult passes, not very noticeable.

Then he turned it on in the second half of the game. I wouldn't call him dynamic, but he clearly has a good base of skills, and I was most impressed by his hockey IQ. I wouldn't say he's a no-doubter 1OA, like some of the early hype he got would've dictated he could've been, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's an early first rounder in 2021.

It's also worth keeping in mind that Poirier on this same St. John's team didn't have a great season a year ago, and exploded this year, so it might be something to do with his role and the quality of the team as opposed to Roy struggling this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad