W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Poirier got some hype last year.

From a few in Midget AAA last year on Roy:

he’s good but soft, he gets 1 or 2 and stops.

We felt like he slowed down after Christmas, keep in mind though he’s coming from the most dominant team the league has seen and trust me he didn’t have to or need to be the guy any night.

personally I think Robidas and L’Heureux will end up better. But Roy is very good, should be a 3 year guy in the Q.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Poirier got some hype last year.

I was pointing more to the fact that he wasn't producing points for St. Johns, despite it being obvious that he was a big offensive talent that would eventually produce points in the Q and probably in pro hockey. Roy's early points production isn't that good for a 1st overall in the Q draft that was getting probably the most pre-juniors hype of all the Canadian 2003 born players.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
As far as I am concerned, Roy's softness does not really matter to me, he's a guy that reads the game at such a high level that he's more effective when he isn't the one forechecking. What freaks me out for him is his skating ability. His hands, shot, hockey sense are all elite and worthy of a top 5 or top 10 selection at the NHL level, but he's quite slow.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
As far as I am concerned, Roy's softness does not really matter to me, he's a guy that reads the game at such a high level that he's more effective when he isn't the one forechecking. What freaks me out for him is his skating ability. His hands, shot, hockey sense are all elite and worthy of a top 5 or top 10 selection at the NHL level, but he's quite slow.
Would say more top 10, I don’t find him that slow. But he does leave something to be desired.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Even at the Midget AAA level last year he couldn't carry the puck through neutral ice because of his lack of speed. He can be quite explosive in tight spaces and is an agile skater, but he's not going to carry the puck much in transition and make zone entries consistently. I've seen him maybe 30 times in Midget and only 3 or 4 times in the Q but it didn't seem to have changed much. Watched yesterday and he was dominant in the third. Still a great player.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Now with 6 goals, 4 assists in 9 games.
Leads his team in goals and points.

SeaDogs top 6

1. Joshua Roy 6+4=10
2. Jeremie Poirier 1+6=7
3. Brady Burns 0+7=7
4. Charlie Desroches 0+7
5. Dawson Stairs 2+4=6
6. Josh Lawrence 2+4=6

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I have the same issues with his game that I had 2 years ago. I'm a huge fan but he just doesn't drive the play much, is very soft and lacks quickness big time. Once in the offensive zone or in power play situations, he's as good as anyone in the draft though. I love cerebral players but Josh Roy is just TOO cerebral, has no aggressivity in him.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
There is a rumour going around that Joshua Roy wont show up to Saint John and has asked to be traded. Not sure if true

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Guy can shoot, he can pass, his skating solid, he’s got the iq, but I’m not sure he’ll ever been more than a peripheral 2nd line guy in the NHL. Maybe a finesse 3rd line C ? It’s going to come down to his willingness to get dirty and his intensity.
Why not more ? (What are you seeing in his game that wouldnt translate so well?) havent seen him live so im wondering about his game

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Guy can shoot, he can pass, his skating solid, he’s got the iq, but I’m not sure he’ll ever been more than a peripheral 2nd line guy in the NHL. Maybe a finesse 3rd line C ? It’s going to come down to his willingness to get dirty and his intensity.

I think he's going to kill it as soon as next year, probably get at least 80 pts in 68 games getting 1st line ice time on Sherbrooke. He looks really good out there. Sherbrooke seems to be gearing towards building a team for his 19 yrs old season. The question is are they getting Robidas from Val d'Or (for the Poulin trade) or Lessard? With Robidas, a Roy-Robidas combo would be deadly

At 19 Roy should get 100+ pts and be the best player in the league along with Robidas, Bolduc and L'Heureux. If both Robidas and Roy play together on Sherbrooke they will kill it

Don't forget Robidas is from Sherbrooke, so I bet they were pulling really hard to get him in the Poulin deal

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Why not more ? (What are you seeing in his game that wouldnt translate so well?) havent seen him live so im wondering about his game

If I am not mistaken Ihavenocreativity has said in the past that Roy doesn't have the ''drive'' or intensity to really push the play and dominate the game.

He is a bit of a soft player that plays on the outside, but that's because his best asset is his IQ and vision. Kinda like Mike Ribeiro I guess

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I think he's going to kill it as soon as next year, probably get at least 80 pts in 68 games getting 1st line ice time on Sherbrooke. He looks really good out there. Sherbrooke seems to be gearing towards building a team for his 19 yrs old season. The question is are they getting Robidas from Val d'Or (for the Poulin trade) or Lessard? With Robidas, a Roy-Robidas combo would be deadly

At 19 Roy should get 100+ pts and be the best player in the league along with Robidas, Bolduc and L'Heureux. If both Robidas and Roy play together on Sherbrooke they will kill it

Don't forget Robidas is from Sherbrooke, so I bet they were pulling really hard to get him in the Poulin deal
Oh I’m well aware that Robidas is a Sherbrooke boy, surprised they didn’t go after his fellow former teammate Beliveau....

I’m not doubting his Junior scoring period, he’s always been offensively gifted, but he’s also always had the same knocks.

personally I think Robidas is coming, heck maybe both ? I’m not convinced Bolduc and L’Heureux will be in the league for their 19 season.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
It’s his lack of willingness to grind it out and get dirty, he can ghost when it gets physical. I would also say that he doesn’t use his size and strength that much, if he did I think he’d go higher, he’s a dynamo skills and iq wise. The lack of speed combined with his lack of drive/intensity/unwillingness to grind it out will stop him from being a 1st line guy.

In midget the criticism for him was that he’d get 2 points let’s say and that was his night, he could score and be satisfied. Didn’t need to get more.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
If I am not mistaken Ihavenocreativity has said in the past that Roy doesn't have the ''drive'' or intensity to really push the play and dominate the game.

He is a bit of a soft player that plays on the outside, but that's because his best asset is his IQ and vision. Kinda like Mike Ribeiro I guess
I’d throw his skills in the there too and I do like his shot. He’s not a small player, he could get in the middle more and push his way around.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017

You have talked about robidas, roy bolduc dominating... i wonder what you make of bourgault vs the rest of the top 2021 Q

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
You have talked about robidas, roy bolduc dominating... i wonder what you make of bourgault vs the rest of the top 2021 Q

Bourgault is a late birthday so he will be out of the league when Bolduc/Robidas/Roy/L'Heureux are 19

Bourgault is on the fast track, he has been improving rapidly these last 2 years and looks to be an NHL 1st rounder (or early 2nd) at the next draft. I think it's a toss up who goes 1st between him, Bolduc, L'Heureux or Roy, but I personally have a soft spot for L'Heureux. Robidas will likely be selected a little later because of his size. Dean is also in the conversation, and don't forget Reynolds from Saint John.

Bourgault should come close to 100 pts next year with Bourque and Shawinigan should compete for the Memorial Cup

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I expect Roy to already play at a 80+ pts pace this year. His skill, shooting and hockey sense might already be the best in the Q, but he's an average skater and isn't really involved in the play. Very passive without the puck, always reading the game instead of making the game happen. Nothing wrong with that but I don't know many players in the NHL that just won't forecheck.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad