AHL: W-B/S Penguins Thread: Now featuring Emil Larmi, Kasper Bjorkqvist and many more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Shame about Bjorkvist. This means at least one of Bellerive/Almeida better have a great season to make up for it.

Bjorkvist closer in age at 22 but it will be fine if this injury doesnt impact next season. And another young prospect steps up...cant all be Noesen and rest of vets. Tho Lafferty proving hes legit. We need to see Bellerive /Almeida breakout

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Shame about Bjorkvist. This means at least one of Bellerive/Almeida better have a great season to make up for it.

Bjorkvist closer in age at 22 but it will be fine if this injury doesnt impact next season. And another young prospect steps up...cant all be Noesen and rest of vets. Tho Lafferty proving hes legit. We need to see Bellerive /Almeida breakout
Almeida a heathy scratch tonight.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Noesen and Blandisi score in the SO. WBS wins!

Noesen after he scored, put his glove to his ear, mocking the Leigh High Valley crowd. Haha, love it.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For those keeping score, that's 2 of our top 5 prospects from our last HF top 20 biting the dust for at least half a season and the calendar only just hit November.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For those keeping score, that's 2 of our top 5 prospects from our last HF top 20 biting the dust for at least half a season and the calendar only just hit November.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Who was the first? And why was Bjorqvist rated so highly? I thought he was just basically a big body, but I'll admit I didn't follow his development closely.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like I'm missing something here. Who was the first? And why was Bjorqvist rated so highly? I thought he was just basically a big body, but I'll admit I didn't follow his development closely.

Hallander had some sort of leg fracture back in September - just checked and the most recent word from September 18th was the prognosis was 6 weeks in a cast then a recovery period. So hopefully we'll hear about his cast being removed pretty soon and from there, we'll see.

As for Bjorkqvist... imo, mainly all the talk about how the org freakin' loved him and how he had pro habits, played with pro intensity, the sort of guy whose style was made for the pros and would transfer straight over etc.etc. There were a few interesting discussions between those who were skeptical about that and higher on all the guys with big junior numbers and those who reckoned Bjorkqvist was top 5; trying to find them but not succeeding right now. Have to say that right now both sides seem to be a little wrong, what with Bellerive and Almeida struggling at the next level up.

Shoutout to one @Randy Butternubs though for voting for Lafferty as our 5th overall prospect though (although he posted it and didn't actually vote I think), that one looks like a comment that'll age well!

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Hallander had some sort of leg fracture back in September - just checked and the most recent word from September 18th was the prognosis was 6 weeks in a cast then a recovery period. So hopefully we'll hear about his cast being removed pretty soon and from there, we'll see.

As for Bjorkqvist... imo, mainly all the talk about how the org freakin' loved him and how he had pro habits, played with pro intensity, the sort of guy whose style was made for the pros and would transfer straight over etc.etc. There were a few interesting discussions between those who were skeptical about that and higher on all the guys with big junior numbers and those who reckoned Bjorkqvist was top 5; trying to find them but not succeeding right now. Have to say that right now both sides seem to be a little wrong, what with Bellerive and Almeida struggling at the next level up.

Shoutout to one @Randy Butternubs though for voting for Lafferty as our 5th overall prospect though (although he posted it and didn't actually vote I think), that one looks like a comment that'll age well!

For those prospect polls I'm usually switching up my vote for whatever reason. So I may have voted for him when I posted that, but later changed it to Bjorkqvist for who knows why.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I’m not a big Bjorkvist fan, so grain of salt and all that. The bolded is pretty concerning considering his recent injury history. He’s missing development time but the prospect who is sold as being a physical beast with a great work ethic is going from one serious injury to another. Strength doesn’t mean much if he's breaking down in college and the AHL. They’ve also always been into his body. It feels like half of whatever was mentioned about him from day one was “he’s so big and strong.”

I expect Almeida to improve either as the season goes on or next season. If he doesn’t get some random disease or fall down a well. Bellerive, idk. He’s a mystery and I think there’s a good chance he’ll be a what if.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For those prospect polls I'm usually switching up my vote for whatever reason. So I may have voted for him when I posted that, but later changed it to Bjorkqvist for who knows why.

You no longer get to be first prophet of the cult of Lafferty.

I’m not a big Bjorkvist fan, so grain of salt and all that. The bolded is pretty concerning considering his recent injury history. He’s missing development time but the prospect who is sold as being a physical beast with a great work ethic is going from one serious injury to another. Strength doesn’t mean much if he's breaking down in college and the AHL. They’ve also always been into his body. It feels like half of whatever was mentioned about him from day one was “he’s so big and strong.”

Can't argue with that.

I expect Almeida to improve either as the season goes on or next season. If he doesn’t get some random disease or fall down a well. Bellerive, idk. He’s a mystery and I think there’s a good chance he’ll be a what if.

I'm sure Almeida will improve - but by enough? I guess we'll wait and see. I'm entertaining the possibility that Bellerive was a player whose all-round game made him great at CHL level but lacked standout abilities for the next level up as much as anything.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like Bjorkqvist but I also think the organization, probably stemming from Guerin, overrated him and that trickled down to the fan base.

His upside is pretty low and I don't give a shit if he's jacked. That doesn't translate to the NHL. Look at Colin Wilson or Raitis Ivanans.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm sure Almeida will improve - but by enough? I guess we'll wait and see. I'm entertaining the possibility that Bellerive was a player whose all-round game made him great at CHL level but lacked standout abilities for the next level up as much as anything.

Who knows if Almeida will improve enough. It’s too early to really worry and he’s a late pick so it would be no great tragedy if he didn’t. I lean towards him being a small player who is a bit of late bloomer and he’s recovering from shoulder surgery. It’s his first taste of the AHL and he missed the preseason, too. He has a lot of reasons to start slowly.

Bellerive is one massive question mark for me. He had one great season, burned his hands and then was less productive in his final year. Now he’s off to a blah start in the AHL. For all we know, that season after getting signed was an aberration he couldn’t improve on, the hand injuries delayed him or the hand injuries will permanently derail him. There’s still time for him to develop more but that injury makes everything murky. I don’t think it’s that he was only great in the CHL. It’s that I’m not sure he was ever what he appeared to be, or if he could be again.

Hopefully having Lafferty, Johnson and blandisi back will put some of the young prospects in better situations.

Reactions: Peat

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This is exactly what I was concerned about with Bjork. I can't recall who I was talking to about it over the Summer but he's racking up quite the injury history. If he can't stay healthy playing his brand of hockey in NCAA/AHL then it doesn't bode well for his future. Beau Bjorkqvist

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Who knows if Almeida will improve enough. It’s too early to really worry and he’s a late pick so it would be no great tragedy if he didn’t. I lean towards him being a small player who is a bit of late bloomer and he’s recovering from shoulder surgery. It’s his first taste of the AHL and he missed the preseason, too. He has a lot of reasons to start slowly.

Bellerive is one massive question mark for me. He had one great season, burned his hands and then was less productive in his final year. Now he’s off to a blah start in the AHL. For all we know, that season after getting signed was an aberration he couldn’t improve on, the hand injuries delayed him or the hand injuries will permanently derail him. There’s still time for him to develop more but that injury makes everything murky. I don’t think it’s that he was only great in the CHL. It’s that I’m not sure he was ever what he appeared to be, or if he could be again.

Hopefully having Lafferty, Johnson and blandisi back will put some of the young prospects in better situations.

I dunno, is Wheeling a better situation? :P Not entirely joking either, both about the possibility of them going and it maybe being a better situation.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I dunno, is Wheeling a better situation? :P Not entirely joking either, both about the possibility of them going and it maybe being a better situation.

I kind of wonder if it would be but it’s hard to say without watching anyone play. Maybe it’s bad luck or something else in the roster; the Pens did raid them. Maybe they’re improving.

Drozg is down there 4G, 1A in 6GP; tied for 5th in scoring. From stat watching, WBS just isn’t doing all that well. Are the prospects not lighting the world on fire the chicken or the egg?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I kind of wonder if it would be but it’s hard to say without watching anyone play. Maybe it’s bad luck or something else in the roster; the Pens did raid them. Maybe they’re improving.

Drozg is down there 4G, 1A in 6GP; tied for 5th in scoring. From stat watching, WBS just isn’t doing all that well. Are the prospects not lighting the world on fire the chicken or the egg?

If any of the WBS watchers here have the answer, I'd love to hear it. I am particularly curious about the goalies' awful stats and Warsofsky's terrible +/- in terms of what's going wrong, but in general it seems a weird and interesting situation. I know the Penguins injury curse has hit them hard but I thought they were deep enough to keep on trucking there.

My main concern about Wheeling would be standard of coaching/facilities and the possibility of getting demoralised - I think a bit of time in the ECHL as a halfway house for good young prospects who aren't ready to jump from juniors to AHL in one go would be a good thing other than that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If any of the WBS watchers here have the answer, I'd love to hear it. I am particularly curious about the goalies' awful stats and Warsofsky's terrible +/- in terms of what's going wrong, but in general it seems a weird and interesting situation. I know the Penguins injury curse has hit them hard but I thought they were deep enough to keep on trucking there.

My main concern about Wheeling would be standard of coaching/facilities and the possibility of getting demoralised - I think a bit of time in the ECHL as a halfway house for good young prospects who aren't ready to jump from juniors to AHL in one go would be a good thing other than that.

Yeah, my concern with Wheeling would be if they linger and just cruise around not gaining anything. The successful prospects who went there: DeSmith did 13 games, Kuhnhackl did 16 games one season and 2 in another and Archibald did 9 games. Either the players who go there suck or it doesn’t do much so it’s avoided.

DeSmith, Larmi and D’Orio (ECHL) all have some ugly numbers. Literally one goalie outside of the NHL is above .9sv%. I saw a tweet that the last WBS game was the first time they had a shutout PERIOD this season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, my concern with Wheeling would be if they linger and just cruise around not gaining anything. The successful prospects who went there: DeSmith did 13 games, Kuhnhackl did 16 games one season and 2 in another and Archibald did 9 games. Either the players who go there suck or it doesn’t do much so it’s avoided.

But is that more about the talent we've sent there, or the conditions there? I do think we're deeper in terms of prospects we care about on the forwards than I've just about ever seen. And what are they gaining from getting beat on in WBS?

DeSmith, Larmi and D’Orio (ECHL) all have some ugly numbers. Literally one goalie outside of the NHL is above .9sv%. I saw a tweet that the last WBS game was the first time they had a shutout PERIOD this season.

That's just ridiculous.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
But is that more about the talent we've sent there, or the conditions there? I do think we're deeper in terms of prospects we care about on the forwards than I've just about ever seen. And what are they gaining from getting beat on in WBS?

That's just ridiculous.

I really don’t know what it says about Wheeling but it’s probably one of those things. It doesn’t look good if players go there. It’s possible WBS is better for learning or a prospect worth a damn really shouldn’t be below the AHL once they get there.

Said goalie has played 80 minutes.

Reactions: Peat

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
These former NJ guys want back in NHL. Noesen had 10g coming in...added a measly assist but Blandisi with 2 goals. Militec with the other, and an assist. Now 2 goals 6 assists.

They lose again in the SO.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Had no idea that Noesen was a 1st round pick.

Late bloomer? He has over 100 NHL games, so it's not like he's an NHL rookie.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Had no idea that Noesen was a 1st round pick.

Late bloomer? He has over 100 NHL games, so it's not like he's an NHL rookie.

He always played like a first rounder against the Pens when he was with the Devils. I always assumed, given his career trajectory, that his play against the Pens wasn't the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad