AHL: W-B/S Penguins Thread: Now featuring Emil Larmi, Kasper Bjorkqvist and many more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Jesus, 34-year old Ben Street with two goals in the first period against WBS. I remember thinking this dude might have a future in the NHL.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I haven't paid much attention to the AHL or frankly the NHL outside of the Pens this year, but I noticed tonight that Byfield, the second overall pick last year, is 1/6/7 and -15 in 13 games with the Kings AHL franchise this year.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Also, look at Drozg. Just look at him!

7065.jpg

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I didn't get to watch last night. They won 6-3, though.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Nice to see Cam Lee get back on the score sheet (3 ass, all on the PP) as he was running dry.

Found the highlights, but they only show the WBS goals.

Looks like the Baby Pens are also doing the thing the (Adult?) Pens do, which is give up a bunch of goals and then (attempt) to claw their way back in.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I didn't get to watch last night. They won 6-3, though.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Nice to see Cam Lee get back on the score sheet (3 ass, all on the PP) as he was running dry.

Found the highlights, but they only show the WBS goals.

This has to be the first time in awhile the Baby Pens are being led by prospects right? Its great to see these guys get on the board.

Zohorna
Jordy
Lee
Lizotte

All seem to be playing well.

DOC & Gruden adding goals too.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Re-watching in a little.. Lizotte's goal shift was hilarious. Crushes a guy that challenges him one-on-one, breaks it out , follows up the play and buries it.

Sweezy had to have 4 big hits before his fight. Devils guy tried to take a run at Cam Lee and Sweezy stepped in..

Bellerive is so responsible on D and plays 200-ft game with speed to burn. ;)

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Re-watching in a little.. Lizotte's goal shift was hilarious. Crushes a guy that challenges him one-on-one, breaks it out , follows up the play and buries it.

Sweezy had to have 4 big hits before his fight. Devils guy tried to take a run at Cam Lee and Sweezy stepped in..

How is Bellerive on faceoffs?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

The WBS defense has been a pleasant surprise for me. Those not named Lee, Reilly, or Maniscalco have been way better than I expected. Except Czuczman.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Lizotte’s always looked good to me. Don’t think he’s a prospect based on his age but maybe he’s earned an NHL 2-way deal at least. Nice depth, plays both sides, does a little of everything, probably wouldn’t hurt you in an emergency call-up to the NHL in a pinch as long as it’s brief and his minutes are light.

In games last season he looked better than the “vets” like Czuczman & Trotman.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I don't think the 4th line listed above is correct -- Yeah, Olsen is in for Gruden. Wait, no Olsen is in for Robert who must've been a late scratch. Gruden on the second line. Joe Lizotte, Reilly Churchman, and Lee Sweezey sound like comic book character names.

Would like to see Maniscalco get back in.

DOC with a nice play behind the net to Schaller who almost scored.

Lee skating out of his mind in this game (4 minutes in). Created two chances already. One was with DOC who almost scored.

Terrible drop pass by Drozg at his own blueline to Zayde Wisdom. Luckily it didn't amount to anything.

Bad, bad decision/play by DOC and Reilly that gave the Phantoms a 3 on 1 the other way. They scored. 1-0 Lehigh Valley.

POJ lost his stick and a forward wouldn't give him a stick. I see this is an organizational thing.

Currie kneed someone. Phantoms dominating this period after the first commercial break.

DOC with a nice PK shift. Penalty killed. End of the 1st. Pens lucky it's only 1-0.

Start of the 2nd, but I missed the first two minutes. A minute later LHV scores. Garrett Wilson. The Pens were just overpowered on that. Annnnd a minute later the Pens top line just kept poking at it while it was in LHV's crease. Schaller or DOC get the goal.

Oh yeah, POJ was a bit physical in the first.

(my friend called and I wasn't paying attention for a good while)

DOC with a partial breakaway and was hooked. Drew a penalty, but he kept at it and set up Currie for a goal.

(still on the phone -- barely watched the 2nd)

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Didn't notice this:

Top line with a good shift -- almost scored a goal.

DOC with a shot on the PP that hits the crossbar. Drozg stickhandling too much at the blueline while bringing it in leads to an offside. He keeps doing stupid small things like that.

I don't think they keep faceoff stats in the AHL, but I think Zohorna has been winning quite a bit.

I think two thirds of that fourth line has been injured in this game.

Phantoms had a fast break the other way but the Pens backchecked real hard to deny them. But then this lead to a huge scramble in the front of the net and LHV finally scores. 3-2.

Derrick Pouliot, yes that player, roughs up or interfered with Bellerive behind the LHV net. Pens to a PP, but the Phantoms have a ridiculous PK.

Currie has a pretty dang good shot. Took a shot on the PP that caused a rebound and Schaller puts it home. 3-3.

Heading to OT.

Lee tried to do a bit too much in OT which lead to the LHV goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Smith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad