W.A.R Results 2007-12

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Always just mind-boggling, how good defensively Pavel Datsyuk was.

Wonder how many points he left on the table, when he was doing that Super-Selke work. Could you WAR guys do some estimation?

Like, being more offensive (like at next level of those defensive guys, not on his own level) how many more points could he have collected?

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Wonder how many points he left on the table, when he was doing that Super-Selke work. Could you WAR guys do some estimation?

Like, being more offensive (like at next level of those defensive guys, not on his own level) how many more points could he have collected?

It's incredibly hard to even guess. Dats had unorthodox style and I don't really see how one could separate his defensive game from offensive. Picking pockets and dangling opponents were often fluid plays which might have started as more offensive or defensive plays and ended in the opposite spectrum.

Some more or less simplistic styles like Lehtinen for example would be easier to differentiate since they played conventional defensive game that's more easily separated from offense.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's incredibly hard to even guess. Dats had unorthodox style and I don't really see how one could separate his defensive game from offensive. Picking pockets and dangling opponents were often fluid plays which might have started as more offensive or defensive plays and ended in the opposite spectrum.

Some more or less simplistic styles like Lehtinen for example would be easier to differentiate since they played conventional defensive game that's more easily separated from offense.

Can you separate the negative value of bad defence from best "offensive-only" forwards? Then reverse that in Datsyuk's case?

Just get some ballpark, that how many points he did lost, when his team gained that better defence.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If you go by some analytics, Ovechkin is RANCID defensively (which I think he kind of is tbh) and unimpressive at even strength.

A lot of my analytics friends make fun of him.

Based on these numbers, have other measures underrated his overall impact or do analytics people simply undervalue being a shoo-in for 50 goals?
well for one he wasnt always this bad defensively, so 07-12 is different numbers. secondly i dont know how @NHL WAR 's model measures defense and his page where he probably explains it is blocked on my school computer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not surprising Datsyuk is 2nd overall. Still crazy to me how he got drafted in the 6th round too
Not really as he was a project when drafted and people forget how long it took him to make an impact.

I say this as a huge fan of his and appreciate how underrated he is at times.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018

I am not exactly sure how you could capture this statistically. You could probably get an estimate from watching video, but that would be very time consuming.

I guess if he weren't so great defensively, he would have a higher ratio of offensive to defensive zone starts. That would gain him a few points. It also has to be considered that his defensive wizardry gained him some points because Detroit didn't spend much time in their own end with him on the ice.

I think it is fair to say he would have cracked 100 points in both 2007-08 and 2008-09 if he was more offensively-orientated. I might look into it a bit more at another time to get a more exact range.

WAR lacks the familiarity of points, but it does show when a player's all around game overcomes their relatively lesser offense. Such as Datsyuk having a WAR in 08-09 with 97 points than Malkin with 113. Does that mean you can say Datsyuk could have scored 114+ points that year? Not neccessary, but it shows he had the same type of impact.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
well for one he wasnt always this bad defensively, so 07-12 is different numbers. secondly i dont know how @NHL WAR 's model measures defense and his page where he probably explains it is blocked on my school computer.

Delta corsi and expected goals against. League average, quality of teammates and zone starts are considered. Takeaways and blocked shots per corsi against are also a small factor.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Seems strange to see Kane hardly mentioned except at the very end where he ranks 11th in total WAR.
“... the numbers for all forwards seasons from 2007-08 to 2011-12”, which begins with both Kane and Toews rookie year.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This matches the eye test pretty damn well.

WAR
DAVID.PASTRNAK (BOS)4.9
NATHAN.MACKINNON (COL)4.9
ARTEMI.PANARIN (NYR)4.8
CONNOR.MCDAVID (EDM)4.7
BRAD.MARCHAND (BOS)4.5
AUSTON.MATTHEWS (TOR)4.2
LEON.DRAISAITL (EDM)4.1
JONATHAN.HUBERDEAU (FLA)4
NIKITA.KUCHEROV (T.B)3.6
EVGENI.MALKIN (PIT)3.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Drai below Panarin, Mackinnon, Pasta and Matthews :D

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Not surprising, never played in the NHL after Steve MacIntyre did this to him.

I am surprised to see Ethan Moreau that low, especially on defense. As I seem to recall he was always on our PK. But then again looking at our PK% we were not great.

I think he played one more game the next season after that.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
This matches the eye test pretty damn well.

WAR
DAVID.PASTRNAK (BOS)4.9
NATHAN.MACKINNON (COL)4.9
ARTEMI.PANARIN (NYR)4.8
CONNOR.MCDAVID (EDM)4.7
BRAD.MARCHAND (BOS)4.5
AUSTON.MATTHEWS (TOR)4.2
LEON.DRAISAITL (EDM)4.1
JONATHAN.HUBERDEAU (FLA)4
NIKITA.KUCHEROV (T.B)3.6
EVGENI.MALKIN (PIT)3.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Drai below Panarin, Mackinnon, Pasta and Matthews :D
Where did you find those stats?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It’s a shame we only won one cup with the Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom core. Secondary scoring never showed up outside of Franzen occasionally. We never had our DSP or Bickell to score clutch goals when the big guys weren’t dominating.
But we had Dan Cleary. Those were the days :)

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Again Getzy should be significantly higher than Perry. Without Getzlaf Perry wouldn’t have had nearly as many goals. I think maybe the model is undervaluing Getzlaf because of his pass first mentality. Because he was always the driver of the Ducks offense, Perry was more of a complimentary piece.
Look Getzlaf was a BEAST. His issue was he took nights off. When he was on his game he was elite.

A true hockey person knows this

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
List actually looks valid over this period. Crosby at first looks a little low but makes sense as you could reasonably say Malkin was an equal player over this period which this shows. Good to see Elias make the cut. Even in his 30s was fantastic player and certainly one of the mister underrated in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00