W.A.R Results 2007-12

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Things that stuck out?
  1. Dustin Brown he may be washed now, but he was a pretty good pest back in the day. That penalty differential is unexpected . I mean Wow:clap::clap:
  2. David Clarkson :biglaugh:I guess I just didnt expect him to be bottom 5 in the entire NHL in passing.
  3. Todd Bertuzzi I'm guessing he had maybe one of the best penalty differentials in the entire NHL peak Vancouver, but for him to turn around and be worst in the NHL once out of vancouver is surprising to me.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
From a Ducks perspective I can’t really agree with anything that ranks Perry over Getzlaf overall unless it’s purely based on the isolated Hart season. Getz was the significantly better player over that time frame.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Seems strange to see Kane hardly mentioned except at the very end where he ranks 11th in total WAR.

This cutoff is right before Kane really started putting up big numbers in the regular season in the lockout shortened season. I would imagine a 12-13 to current season list would have him quite high in several categories

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
To me at least Carter seems good defensively. Interesting to see him in the worst defensive category. Strange.
I didn't watch enough of Jeff Carter to really remember how he looked defensively back then. Though, I will say that the only reason he cracks that bottom 5 is the amount of minutes he played. On a shift by shift basis, there will be many players rated worse.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
From a Ducks perspective I can’t really agree with anything that ranks Perry over Getzlaf overall unless it’s purely based on the isolated Hart season. Getz was the significantly better player over that time frame.

Fair enough. FWIW, Getzlaf was rated the 26th best in that time frame. On a per 82 game basis, Perry was at 4.1 WAR, Getzlaf 3.9. That is a wash. And they both would've been higher than that if the cutoff was 10-11 instead of 11-12.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Raitis Ivanans

literally never heard of that guy in my life.

Not surprising, never played in the NHL after Steve MacIntyre did this to him.

I am surprised to see Ethan Moreau that low, especially on defense. As I seem to recall he was always on our PK. But then again looking at our PK% we were not great.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What exactly is WAR and what does it take into account to come into fruition? I think the MLB has something similar and the best players tend to have the highest WAR, but not sure what it's based off of?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Fair enough. FWIW, Getzlaf was rated the 26th best in that time frame. On a per 82 game basis, Perry was at 4.1 WAR, Getzlaf 3.9. That is a wash. And they both would've been higher than that if the cutoff was 10-11 instead of 11-12.

Again Getzy should be significantly higher than Perry. Without Getzlaf Perry wouldn’t have had nearly as many goals. I think maybe the model is undervaluing Getzlaf because of his pass first mentality. Because he was always the driver of the Ducks offense, Perry was more of a complimentary piece.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
What exactly is WAR and what does it take into account to come into fruition? I think the MLB has something similar and the best players tend to have the highest WAR, but not sure what it's based off of?

This should explain it: Kevin`s Corner: Wins Above Replacement
Basically, a player is compared to league average in a bunch of relevant statistics (goals, assists, penalties, faceoffs, etc). The stats are separated by game state (even strength, power play, penalty kill) and weighted differently. Then they are credited for their time on ice to account for the difference between an average player and a minimum salary, replacement level player. The results are expressed as wins in an attempt to measure the impact a player had on their team's record. So Alex Ovechkin's 9 WAR in 2007-08 is saying that the Capitals would've dropped from 43 wins to 34 if Joe Tweener took his spot on the top line.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Again Getzy should be significantly higher than Perry. Without Getzlaf Perry wouldn’t have had nearly as many goals. I think maybe the model is undervaluing Getzlaf because of his pass first mentality. Because he was always the driver of the Ducks offense, Perry was more of a complimentary piece.

Teammates connected at the hip are one thing the model can't account for. One reason that it isn't perfect. That's why you still have to watch the games to identify who is the straw that stirs the drink on each line.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
This is great. Is there any info for defenseman? If so I'd like to request the top 10 defenseman of the past 10 years and the highest WAR year by a dman

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
This is great. Is there any info for defenseman? If so I'd like to request the top 10 defenseman of the past 10 years and the highest WAR year by a dman

Thanks. Unfortunately I have nothing for defenseman at this point. I do plan on it, though, and will be sure to post the results. Same goes for goalies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you go by some analytics, Ovechkin is RANCID defensively (which I think he kind of is tbh) and unimpressive at even strength.

A lot of my analytics friends make fun of him.

Based on these numbers, have other measures underrated his overall impact or do analytics people simply undervalue being a shoo-in for 50 goals?

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Based on these numbers, have other measures underrated his overall impact or do analytics people simply undervalue being a shoo-in for 50 goals?

Yes and no. I do think some circles undervalue consistency ( such as scoring 50 every year). A statistic that measured the similarity of a player's performance game to game and season to season would be insightful, IMO.

As for other metrics underrating his performance, it depends what season you're looking at. If it doesnt give top marks to 2007-10 Ovi, yeah there is something wrong. I don't think it is wrong to rate modern day Ovi as more of a second tier star, though. Particularly if the stat is looking at the efficiency of the results, not just the bulk totals. This same stat only had him as the 19th best forward from 2015-19. Granted, 2016-17 was an off year for him.

His overall play has slipped, but scoring goals is the most important thing in hockey and he is still the most dependable lamp lighter.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
If you go by some analytics, Ovechkin is RANCID defensively (which I think he kind of is tbh) and unimpressive at even strength.

Anyone who says Ovechkin is unimpressive at even strength has an opinion that you shouldn’t pay any attention to

Reactions: gtrower

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Thanks. Unfortunately I have nothing for defenseman at this point. I do plan on it, though, and will be sure to post the results. Same goes for goalies.
Awesome, I can't wait. I'm very curious as to the overall value of defenceman in comparison to fowards, particularly defensive defenseman. My belief is that we will find that strong offense/weak defense is always more valuable than the reverse, even for defenseman.

It's widely believed forwards are the best players (I'd agree) and d-men play D simply because they can't play offense.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

This is the nerdiest thing I've ever read on HF ;)

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Great content! I recommend posting it in the History of Hockey board for more opinions and discussion. I’d say the most surprising name on the list is Langkow ranked top 5 on defense. Under the radar guy who I can’t remember ever being considered a selke contender. Looks like his best season was a top 9 finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad