Confirmed with Link: VV traded to Leafs for Lehtonen

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m interested in seeing Lehtonen but Torts will probably queue him up behind Harrington.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So we traded Nutivaara and Vehvilainen for Cliff Pu and Mikko Lehtonen.

Fantastic asset management, Jarmo.
Two players that weren't part of the lineup for... wait for it... two players that aren't part of the lineup. How is this poor asset management again? I mean I liked Nuti and all but he wasn't playing and Lehtonen appears to be rated a bit higher. VV was never going to see the NHL in Columbus (if ever) and Cliff Pu was a contract trade off. I don't follow you on this one. I think Lehtonen offers the highest upside of any of those assets.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
With Savard and MDZ leaving, I think this move is just insurance for the expansion draft.

If Seattle takes one of Kukan, harrington, or this guy. We’re still good with nhl quality defensemen. Since Peeke is not eligible and likely to play a somewhat bigger role, we’re going to need some depth. And that’s not even factoring what happens if Seth Jones and/or Werenski won’t agree to sign with us.

so this trade is whatever. Hurts to lose VV because I liked his potential, but our goalies are young and Tarasov is on the way so whatever. We need to re stock on goalie prospects though.
Lehtonen is on a 1 year deal and becomes UFA if not re-signed. I'm not sure there is any impact to the expansion draft and at this point Kukan isn't playing, nor is HArrington so no concerns with Expansion. I remain more worried about losing Robinson but that's another thread (and by worried, I know he isn't a top 6 guy but, in my opinion, he has played well and should be getting more than 10 min per night on this team -still upside that just isn't getting materialized under Torts)

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Why ? Because their are a lot of great pieces here .. all the more reason to can Torts soon as well , players can relax , and know that change is here , and Columbus will be different next yr .

And I thought Devils' fans were salty. On balance both Tortorella and Jarmo have done well given the resources in Columbus.

Basing hiring/firing decisions on a season with no real training camp and limited practice/teaching time seems foolish.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Lehtonen is coming from same level season that Radulov had in 15-16 season, but as a defenseman. He just did not get opportunities in Leafs. Vehviläinen was nothing special, this might be huge trade for Jackets.

Reactions: Mestaruus

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
If I would be a CBJ-fan, I would go with three views
1) Trust that current goalies are good enough so that Vehviläinen won't be horribly missed.
2) Like the idea to have a possibly very good defenseman arriving.
3) Take this as "at least we didn't lose this trade".

Also, how much do you follow World Championships and KHL? Because if you do at all, you should for sure know who Lehtonen is.
What this guy said. Thanks.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Supposedly he's really good on the powerplay. I think he'll be a really good pickup for you guys if he's given some leash from Torts.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
surprised Mikko hasn’t made any comments publicly about the trade.. or maybe he has and I missed it?
A Finnish NHL reporter just got a few bits out of him:

Miksi Toronto ei antanut Columbukseen kaupatulle Mikko Lehtoselle kunnon mahdollisuutta? – "Jollakin muulla on siihen vastaus"

When asked about why he didn't get a chance in Toronto, he had this to say:

"I have no answer. I don't know. They decide who plays and who doesn't, and you just have to accept it. I've been analyzing my own play a lot, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Somebody else has the answer."

"I admit, I was frustrated at times. Players want to play, in every game. But I'm a pro, and I handled it like one. I did what was asked of me and was ready to play when told so. Anyway, I've enjoyed my time here in Toronto and I've learned a lot. It's a fine organization and a fine city."

"I'm excited about going to Columbus. Waiting for it a lot. I just wish they give me a fair chance to show what I can do. I have full confidence in myself and I know I can be an NHLer. Of course, I know I have to earn it. They're not going to give me any time on ice for free."

---

The sample size isn't great, but if you ask me, he didn't look out of place when he got to play for the Leafs. Given that, plus his performance in the KHL and in international games, I'd say that if you insert him in the Jackets' top-four, at bare minimum he isn't going to make it any worse.

Reactions: I3LI3 and Mestaruus

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think there will be a slight overhaul to the D corps when he gets here. I assume he won't be able to play until a week at the earliest, maybe even two.

By then the deadline will be really close or already passed (I think. IDK the exact dates) and Savard will be gone as will MDZ in all likelihood. Potentially even Harrington or Kukan as well if we can find a taker.

I think we all view Peeke as the long term 2nd pairing guy to replace Savard. But maybe he's not quite ready for that yet. We could get his feet wet a bit and put him on the 3rd pairing or continue to let him get top minutes in Cleveland.

Either way I expect Lehtonen to get his chance relatively quickly with us. With two open spots on the D coming (minimum) it could be Lehtonen and Carlsson going in. We already know what we have in Harrington, and since Kukan is already back in the lineup we could easily just juggle a group of kids out there with the 3 remaining vets (Jones, Z, Gavrikov) and see what works.

Reactions: Byrral

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
So we just switched bingo tickets.
Good way of looking at it.

Might be nothing for nothing.
Might be a low key sharp move for both sides.

FWIW, Lehto has struggled to in his limited opportunities but it's to be expected for a player trying to adjust to different ice and game speed, etc.
However, there are some flashes that make you think there's something there. Especially if you match it up with his resume.

Good luck.

(I wouldn't mind it if we did some more business.)

Reactions: 6zag

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
continue to let him get top minutes in Cleveland.
The way the Monsters games have been getting postponed, he might get more ice time on the taxi squad. Their one game this weekend was cancelled, and they don't play again until Saturday. It will be two weeks between games by then, if those don't get postponed.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think there will be a slight overhaul to the D corps when he gets here. I assume he won't be able to play until a week at the earliest, maybe even two.

By then the deadline will be really close or already passed (I think. IDK the exact dates) and Savard will be gone as will MDZ in all likelihood. Potentially even Harrington or Kukan as well if we can find a taker.

I think we all view Peeke as the long term 2nd pairing guy to replace Savard. But maybe he's not quite ready for that yet. We could get his feet wet a bit and put him on the 3rd pairing or continue to let him get top minutes in Cleveland.

Either way I expect Lehtonen to get his chance relatively quickly with us. With two open spots on the D coming (minimum) it could be Lehtonen and Carlsson going in. We already know what we have in Harrington, and since Kukan is already back in the lineup we could easily just juggle a group of kids out there with the 3 remaining vets (Jones, Z, Gavrikov) and see what works.
MDZ plays good now plus he had good first pass. I hope Lehtonen will play with Carolina. Yesterday we needed more players with it. It's good Savard blocks shoots but it would be better so that the puck wouldn't be in our zone. Although I'm not sure Jarmo'll trade him. I would like to see the group Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov, Lehtonen, Carlsson, Del Zotto plus Peeke later. Of course in this season.

Reactions: Halberdier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad