Friedman: Voynov eligible to return Game 42 in 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dear lord some of this thread is ****ing gross. Maybe instead of victim blaming and citing precedent of times when abusers have gotten back in the league, we should set an example of just moving on from players who commit this type of behaviour, full stop.

Except there are laws against policies, or practices of not hiring convicted felons.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It's not my assertion, it's what was reported in lots of places. Compliance with the sentencing doesn't gauge whether he feels like he did anything wrong, it's the same reason they grade violent criminals for their risk of re-offense when they're releasing them. Everything that I've seen on it has said his mannerism throughout the process was just going through the motions.

And I'm all for second chances, for the record. I just think they stand a very high chance of ending the same way when the guilty party doesn't perceive that they have done anything wrong.

So now we’re interpreting peoples’ mannerisms to assess levels of remorse? Are you all insane? Is Voynov a violent robot to some of you? Should he visit your home and shed a few tears for you?

He did a bad thing. He went to jail and received counseling. He made amends with all parties involved. He doesn’t owe anything to anyone else.

If we want to set a precedent in the NHL that criminals cannot play, I’m all for it. But let’s apply that unilaterally.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
So now we’re interpreting peoples’ mannerisms to assess levels of remorse? Are you all insane? Is Voynov a violent robot to some of you? Should he visit your home and shed a few tears for you?

He did a bad thing. He went to jail and received counseling. He made amends with all parties involved. He doesn’t owe anything to anyone else.

Unfortunately for him he did it while the outrage culture is at it’s strongest.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
So what is LA going to do about his rights? Can they simply rescind them and move on or are they going to trade him if some team calls?
I have no idea... the only thing that we know is the press release stated he is no longer in the teams future.. likely getting traded though

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have no idea... the only thing that we know is the press release stated he is no longer in the teams future.. likely getting traded though
I agree. Hope they don’t let it drag out. I respect what KC did with Hunt. Cut him immediately upon the release of the video due to him lying to them about what transpired.

If voynov is not part of your plans move on. Respect them for taking the stance that they did. Same with the Jays and Osuna.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It seems odd to me, that they would retain his rights, after they terminated his contract, and said contract is set to expire July 1st anyway. How do you get to terminate a contract, and still hold someone's rights... that's kind of odd really.

Voynov technically retired from the NHL, so his rights are similar to Kovalchuk.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
I get punishing those who do drink n drive, but Voynov actually hurt someone physically. As far as I can tell, he also didn't get counselling, help, or whatever to rectify the situation.
Bud do you know who dany heatley is or are you just acting irrelevant to the fact that he killed his friend drunk driving

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
He’s a free man, and should be treated as such. He has paid his debt to society in accordance with the court case. You don’t hold people’s actions against them forever. That’s how our society functions.

Some people prefer to live in a different, nightmarish world where people are shunned for their mistakes. Sad!

I think you are mistaking legal repercussions (serving debt to society) with societal and professional repercussions. There are a ton of jobs in the US that you are ineligible for with a criminal conviction, and generally the more high profile the job is, the more stringent they are with what they will accept vs not. Especially with regards to public opinion.

You can pretend that once a person is released from prison all is forgiven, but in the real world that's not how things work.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Do not want this guy even if my team needs a RHD.

The team that signs him will have a black cloud on their organization years after his contract expires.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Would take him on the Leafs for a 1 year minimum. It wouldn't hurt to see if he has some game left in him, he made a mistake years ago and should be given a second chance.

Some people did something...

BamBam1031

Aug 8, 2008
I think you are mistaking legal repercussions (serving debt to society) with societal and professional repercussions. There are a ton of jobs in the US that you are ineligible for with a criminal conviction, and generally the more high profile the job is, the more stringent they are with what they will accept vs not. Especially with regards to public opinion.

You can pretend that once a person is released from prison all is forgiven, but in the real world that's not how things work.

In the really real world, we have the Civil Rights act of 1964. It says you're wrong.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Do not want this guy even if my team needs a RHD.

The team that signs him will have a black cloud on their organization years after his contract expires.
I disagree.
He has been punished sufficiently and it is time to move on.
Someone said it earlier.... we live in this current society of victimhood. Everyone is a victim of something and wants to talk about it.
Slava did something terrible. He has suffered for years from it. People have done much worse and been forgiven.
I hope my team signs him.
Regardless, I hope he does well wherever he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad