Vote: Keep or Fire Blash

Should Yzerman Fire Blashill

• Total voters

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Changed my vote from letting him stay until seasons end to getting fired asap. At least the team has to try to win games, or at least show some effort. Blashill has to go right away to show that this organization still has some pride left

Reactions: nhlisawesome

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Firing Blashill will do nothing and fans are still going to suffer. This isn't a coach issue, it's a talentless team issue.

It's a coach issue.
This team has largely stopped playing. They're going through the motions at the first sign of adversity.
This team is -53 over the last 24 games.
That kind of thing hasn't been seen since when? The 90s?

An OK coach would have these guys skating hard, working hard, fighting for loose pucks... lots of losses, lots of loser points.
But getting the doors blown off on a regular basis?

There's no denying this team lacks talent. But so does Ottawa. And they're bad. But they make it respectable.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It's a coach issue.
This team has largely stopped playing. They're going through the motions at the first sign of adversity.

An OK coach would have these guys skating hard, working hard, fighting for loose pucks... lots of losses, lots of loser points.

There's no denying this team lacks talent. But so does Ottawa. And they're bad. But they make it respectable.

Ottawa has some talent. Wings do not.

No coach can fix soft talentless players. Not even Scotty Bowman. It's fallacy. It's "grass is greener" syndrome, it's fictional fairytale shit from watching too many happy movies.

And to those who think at LOL Blysma being the "solution" to HC. LMAO!!!

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

No coach can fix soft talentless players. Not even Scotty Bowman. It's fallacy. It's "grass is greener" syndrome, it's fictional fairytale **** from watching too many happy movies.

Show me one person who said Bylsma is the answer. That's not what we're saying. We're saying the current product is unacceptable, lack of talent or not. Promote Bylsma on an interim basis, and then figure it out later. I don't understand how anyone could possibly want to keep Blashill arou d right now. The environment is toxic, there is a consistent lack of effort. Why not switch it up?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It's a coach issue.

To an extent I’m sure the struggles can be pinned on a coaching issue for Detroit, but you also see those blow up games for Ottawa too. They lost today 7-2 to the Wild.

I think the big thing that’s a glaring issue is man games lost on the back end. You of all posters seem to point to how bad the defensive players are. Even with a full strength defensive group you dislike what we have to offer (as we all do). Including today, the Wings have played 28 games. The key defensemen that I’ll consider are Hronek, Dekeyser, Nemeth, Green, and Daley, as I considered them to be 5 starters night in and night out, barring injury of course. That’s 140 man games if all 5 were playing nightly.

We’ve lost 53 of those 140 man games so far in just those 5 skaters. That doesn’t include games where Green or Daley got hurt and played only a period, which I know both have had at least one of those games this year. Obviously that means on average we are missing almost 2 players per game (and we know they started full strength back there and things were respectable).

Tack on a team save percentage of something around .880-.890. Tack on early season nagging injuries to Athanasiou and Larkin.

Compare that to Ottawa now, who have a team save percentage over .910. Has a higher PDO. Have had 5 defensemen play in every or damn near every game this year. The differences are substantial enough to support the Wings being a much worse team this year.

Honestly, the coaching decision doesn’t impact me in any form, mainly because I’m expecting the change to happen at this point. It’s not the button I’m choosing first if I’m Yzerman, because I think it comes at the expense of having the kids suffer through Bylsma, who’s track record with a young/rebuilding Buffalo team, is pretty disheartening. I also don’t think it’s the kind of kick in the ass that is going to change much in the locker room. That comes when you remove an important piece from the roster for futures. But, the coaching change is the easiest, and I’m sure will be the first domino to fall.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
I'm sure Blash will stay the whole season, but in my opinion the most important detail that will matter when Yzerman has the option of picking up Blash's 2nd year is whether or not that based on what Yzerman has seen through the 19/20 season, does he agree with Blash's systematic philosphy/style of play in relation to the rest of the league?

Like mentioned above, what makes this so frustrating is that Byalsma is known for implementing a frustrating style of play as well.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Show me one person who said Bylsma is the answer. That's not what we're saying. We're saying the current product is unacceptable, lack of talent or not. Promote Bylsma on an interim basis, and then figure it out later. I don't understand how anyone could possibly want to keep Blashill arou d right now. The environment is toxic, there is a consistent lack of effort. Why not switch it up?

Promoting Blysma isn't going to fix the "toxic" situation. Blysma wouldn't be an upgrade. Hire a proven coach like Trotz, and I'll be onboard. Just firing to fire makes no sense unless there is a clear upgrade.

No self respecting coach wants to coach this shithole.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Promoting Blysma isn't going to fix the "toxic" situation. Blysma wouldn't be an upgrade. Hire a proven coach like Trotz, and I'll be onboard. Just firing to fire makes no sense unless there is a clear upgrade.

No self respecting coach wants to coach this ****hole.
I wish everybody could see this.

Reactions: odin1981

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

No coach can fix soft talentless players. Not even Scotty Bowman. It's fallacy. It's "grass is greener" syndrome, it's fictional fairytale **** from watching too many happy movies.

Ottawa doesn't have more talent than Detroit.

Buffalo BEFORE Bylsma; .317 and .329.
Buffalo DURING Bylsma: .494 and .476.
Buffalo AFTER Bylsma .378.

Bylsma may not be a coveted NHL coach.
But he's miles better than Blashill.

* Has won a Stanley Cup.
* Has a career record of 320-190-55
* Has won seven playoff series.
* His .485 record in Buffalo is better than Blash's .473 record in Detroit

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

No self respecting coach wants to coach this ****hole.

Bylsma will almost instantly turn this team into the .450-.480 team it should be.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
* His .485 record in Buffalo is better than Blash's .473 record in Detroit
Fire Blash now, lol.

That's not really compelling stats buddy. If the team is going to fire Blash, I'm hoping for something better than Disco Dan. My biggest issue is that he's running the PP right now and it sucks. It will continue to suck if Disco becomes head coach.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I can coach this team better than Blashill

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Fire Blash now, lol.

That's not really compelling stats buddy. If the team is going to fire Blash, I'm hoping for something better than Disco Dan. My biggest issue is that he's running the PP right now and it sucks. It will continue to suck if Disco becomes head coach.

Check out Blash hills record RIGHT NOW
Bylsma's low point was .476.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Then you must keep the current head coach.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The issue I have with that argument is that Disco is an assistant and he's part of the reason why the team is at .315.

Is there anyone besides Babcock available?

Exactly. It makes no sense "upgrading" with what is likely part of the problem,,if this is in fact, a coaching issue. Which I am still not convinced. The TEAM sucks!

It's easier to blame coaching. Not sure why. THE TEAM SUCKS!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Exactly. It makes no sense "upgrading" with what is likely part of the problem,,if this is in fact, a coaching issue. Which I am still not convinced. The TEAM sucks!

It's easier to blame coaching. Not sure why. THE TEAM SUCKS!
Well we agree on 2 out of 3 things, that's a start.

The team sucks but so does the coaching. The power play absolutely kills me, there's enough talent to put together one good power play line, but they can't score because the power play system is stationary, and the goal appears to be to shoot from the blue line.

Of course with this D, the team would more than likely lose even if the team had the league's best PP%, but at least they'd score a few more goals.

I'm heading out to a bar (west coast so it's 9pm), see ya guys later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad