Vote: How do you feel about how the Blues handled Petro?

Good Decision or Bad Decision to not give Petro a full NMC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Gonna bring the Pietrangelo talk out of the prospect thread.

I guess your question then would be is Petro better than the other best defenseman in the league, along with all of the other young, talented defenseman who are high octane point producers? Because to be honest, I could see a guy like Makar getting a Norris before Petro gets one, even though I like Petro as an all around d-man more. It's really a popularity contest at this point; no one cares about defending nearly as much as they used to. If you score 70 points as a d-man, you're likely to just win it because of that. I don't like the trophy for those reasons, but I could see Petro making the hall at some point.

Norris voters have shown a willingness in the past to reward guys who have been in the picture for a while but haven't won one yet. Considering how long Pietrangelo has hovered around that conversation, I could see him get a small production boost from the move to Vegas and having that work in his favor. The Norris these days really just depends on who stands out and gets the right kind of exposure in that particular year. Makar could win one, so could a Heiskanen, so could Pietrangelo. I just think the assumption that if he hasn't won a Norris yet he can't to be short sighted.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

Norris voters have shown a willingness in the past to reward guys who have been in the picture for a while but haven't won one yet. Considering how long Pietrangelo has hovered around that conversation, I could see him get a small production boost from the move to Vegas and having that work in his favor. The Norris these days really just depends on who stands out and gets the right kind of exposure in that particular year. Makar could win one, so could a Heiskanen, so could Pietrangelo. I just think the assumption that if he hasn't won a Norris yet he can't to be short sighted.

I would not be surprised to see Pietrangelo take the Norris next season.

He will have the exposure you’ve mentioned in Vegas; Bettman’s pet.

And because Vegas is Bettman’s pet, Pietrangelo will be awarded the Norris IF he had a good season and a Vegas goes deep.

Of course, this is assuming Pietrangelo is his normal self and plays like a very good defenseman.

If Pietrangelo succeeds, expect the Norris to go to him making the Blues look bad and the UFA signing look great.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I would not be surprised to see Pietrangelo take the Norris next season.

He will have the exposure you’ve mentioned in Vegas; Bettman’s pet.

And because Vegas is Bettman’s pet, Pietrangelo will be awarded the Norris IF he had a good season and a Vegas goes deep.

Of course, this is assuming Pietrangelo is his normal self and plays like a very good defenseman.

If Pietrangelo succeeds, expect the Norris to go to him making the Blues look bad and the UFA signing look great.
Malarkey. Have any Vegas players won major awards? And voting is done before playoffs. Petro might win, but not bc Bettman wills it.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I hope Pietrangelo does succeeds and does win the norris next season, I just want it to happen to make Army look bad. And I think Pietrangelo has been deserving of a Norris for a long time.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Malarkey. Have any Vegas players won major awards? And voting is done before playoffs. Petro might win, but not bc Bettman wills it.
Hmmmm, malarkey is another word for bullshit, Brother.

Maybe you’re right. Just me throwing out a turd to find out how stinky it is.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I hope Pietrangelo does succeeds and does win the norris next season, I just want it to happen to make Army look bad. And I think Pietrangelo has been deserving of a Norris for a long time.
I think it would be super duper extra hot sauce special if he wins another Cup AND takes the Norris.

If he is anywhere near that, then you can bet he won the Conn Smythe on the way.

I’m not kidding. It is possible.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Well to be fair I didn't say he COULDN'T win one, but I was cautioning the thought that he has a good shot at getting one. I don't doubt that he could get a raise in production in Vegas, but I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out; he did go through a few coaches here and managed to keep up with his career production with changes to the system. What my main comment was supposed to address was that even though Petro is one of the best all-around defenseman in the league, I feel like he could take a back seat to guys like Makar, Heiskanen, plus the other defenseman who manage to score abundantly during the season. Like someone mentioned, Giordano won a Norris quite far into his career, but he could also vie with all the other good defenseman capable of winning a Norris. That is so long as he is scoring at the clip he did during his Norris year. Unless Petro is scoring 70 points, I honestly believe guys like Josi, Hedman, Burns, and Karlsson will overshadow a guy like Petro as unfortunate as that is.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017

same here. I hope he wins it 7 years in a row and Vegas wins at least 5 more cups while the Blues never make the playoffs ever again. That would make me a happy Blues fan. /s

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I think it would be super duper extra hot sauce special if he wins another Cup AND takes the Norris.

If he is anywhere near that, then you can bet he won the Conn Smythe on the way.

I’m not kidding. It is possible.
Sure anything is possible. I see Petro struggling on defense without the help of a team full of 2 way forwards. Vegas’s forwards do not support their dmen like the Blues do.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Damn it look sexy. :sarcasm:

thumb.aspx

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
As much as i want to see our former captain have success but at the same time i hate that team so damn much i hope they absolutely fail.

Yeah I have absolutely nothing against Petro. It's Vegas with their extremely unfair expansion benefits and then subsequently being immune from Seattle expansion while other teams don't get that benefit. Screw that team, I hope they fail hard.

Reactions: Vollie27

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Yeah I have absolutely nothing against Petro. It's Vegas with their extremely unfair expansion benefits and then subsequently being immune from Seattle expansion while other teams don't get that benefit. Screw that team, I hope they fail hard.

To be fair, the only reason they are excluded from the expansion draft is because the other 30 franchises didn’t give them a cut of the expansion fee.

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020
Yes, its Vegas' fault that NHL GM's are so incompetent at roster construction, that Vegas got young, promising, and eventually core players such as Shea Theodore, Alex Tuch, Jonathan Marchessault, and Reilly Smith for virtually nothing.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad