Vote: How do you feel about how the Blues handled Petro?

Good Decision or Bad Decision to not give Petro a full NMC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
World is flat.

flat-earth-horizon-flat.jpg

tenor.gif

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I wish Pietrangelo and his family well, and I harbour no ill feelings towards him. Professionally, he no longer matters to me because he is no longer a St. Louis Blue, so in that respect, I have moved on. What is still relevant to me is Doug Armstrong's performance as GM of the Blues during the negotiation. Like Easton, I believe that Armstrong should have made the concessions to Pietrangelo that eventually he did not. I firmly believe that if we gave Pietrangelo the same contract that Vegas did, it would not have hurt the team. I will expand on that by stating that the immediate benefits of having Alex on the team for the next few years would have far outweighed the disadvantage of having an unmovable contract in the final years. You make exceptions for exceptional players. I honestly think Doug Armstrong may have effectively closed our cup window. If we had matched Vegas' offer, and then Pietrangelo still signed with them, then we would have known Alex's intentions, and Armstrong would be off the hook. As it is, I still hold Doug Armstrong accountable.

I was surprised Army offered 8 and 64 to Petro. I really am. The intangibles of remaining a Blue was priceless and can’t be quantified in the contract.

I really think these top name free agents tend to let all the attention go to their head and common sense/values get thrown out the door.

Petro got a great offer but he didn’t jump on it. Army recognized that and made his own move.

We had the best Petro could offer as a player all these years, to buy the last 50% of his career at a high price/term doesn’t make sense. The Angels learned that with Pujols and the Leafs will learn that with Tavares.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Just a thought, but you have to ignore what you know happened to be able to really answer it.

If we hadn't traded Chris Pronger in 2005 and we were signing him to a new contract (which he needed), would you have been comfortable with 8 years? Would you have been comfortable with even 5?

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Just a thought, but you have to ignore what you know happened to be able to really answer it.

If we hadn't traded Chris Pronger in 2005 and we were signing him to a new contract (which he needed), would you have been comfortable with 8 years? Would you have been comfortable with even 5?
Pronger was significantly better than Petro.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I know I've said I'm done talking about Pietrangelo but sometimes I can't help myself. Now that I've had 3 or so weeks to process everything. I just shake my head. In my computer room I have a lot of pictures and memorabilia of everything that interests me, I also have a space on the wall with Blues Stanley cup pictures and Blues memorabilia that I've found and collected over the years. I have 2 pictures that I'm fond of and meaningful to me one of them is Petro hoisting the cup which is a now a famous and historical photo and the other is the on ice team picture with the cup. When I walk into the room and see those 2 pictures especially the one of Petro I just shake my head in disgust that the Blues arguably made their most biggest blunder in franchise history. Yes you can tell me to move on, And yes I have moved on but there's still times where I get just absolutely disgusted that they allowed it to happen, This is my honest feelings, If you don't like it, Well then I don't know what to say. The Blues made a terrible terrible decision and it's going to cost them.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I know I've said I'm done talking about Pietrangelo but sometimes I can't help myself. Now that I've had 3 or so weeks to process everything. I just shake my head. In my computer room I have a lot of pictures and memorabilia of everything that interests me, I also have a space on the wall with Blues Stanley cup pictures and Blues memorabilia that I've found and collected over the years. I have 2 pictures that I'm fond of and meaningful to me one of them is Petro hoisting the cup which is a now a famous and historical photo and the other is the on ice team picture with the cup. When I walk into the room and see those 2 pictures especially the one of Petro I just shake my head in disgust that the Blues arguably made their most biggest blunder in franchise history. Yes you can tell me to move on, And yes I have moved on but there's still times where I get just absolutely disgusted that they allowed it to happen, This is my honest feelings, If you don't like it, Well then I don't know what to say. The Blues made a terrible terrible decision and it's going to cost them.

Those moments still happened.

Reactions: Blueston

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
What Petro seemed to value most was the thing the Blues are most reluctant in the league to offer, and I am sure that became readily apparent to both sides well before any of us were willing to accept it. I don’t think it’s much more complicated than that. Petro still accomplished a ton with the Blues, and within a few years any bad feelings from either party, or fans, will soften.

The Blues may be carried into offering NMC kicking and screaming, but it obviously wasn’t going to be without a fight. If it was that important to Petro, I can’t fault him for that. The Blues as a matter of fact were offering him the most net $’s at the end of it all, so I am not going to harbor any ill will to anyone, or play out counterfactuals for how a deal might have gotten done, when I believe they both tried pretty exhaustively to find that middle ground.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I wonder how much money Blues will lose noting he was franchise first captain who bring Stanley Cup in the town? There is lot of by-products what Pietro has and would sell. I doubt Krug + Faulk product sell will cut lost of what Pietro would have bring to Blues and city and after his retirement, raise his jersey up, build statue. Franchise legend. All wasted and I'm shamed.

Last edited:

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I wonder how much money Blues will lose noting he was franchise first captain who bring Stanley Cup in the town? There is lot of by-products what Pietro has and would sell. I doubt Krug + Faulk product sell will cut lost of what Pietro would have bring to Blues and city and after his retirement, raise his jersey up, build statue. Franchise legend. All wasted and I'm shamed.
I’m as upset as most Petro fans that we let him go, but do you really think this sort of thing wasn’t in their calculations?

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
And who was it during the years Petro was captain before ROR?

You mean the 1st round loss and the miss the playoffs year? Ya man Petro was such a f***ing leader.

Considering Pietro has been referred to by his teammates as a coach on the ice, I don't think you have any idea as to what the situation is.

What was he called while Benn was riding him like a bitch?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->