Injury Report: Vol. II (Updates in First Post) | Fleury, Bortuzzo + Määttä Being Tested for Mumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So all this time, 'BB' stood for "Bubble Boy", not Beau Bennett? Who knew.

Bah, I'm still very much a BB believer. I remember when Andrei Markov of the Habs was a running joke because of his injury history. And he's become one of the most durable defensemen in the NHL the past 3 years or so.

Let's not give up on this talent. We just need the bad luck to flush itself out of his system.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's a multi-millionaire at age 23 despite missing ~2/3rds of every season. I'm sure he's doing fine.

Feeling sorry for a multi-millionaire athlete isn't something I'll ever do, but whatever floats your boat.

The money helps. And I'm not "feeling sorry" for anyone.

Just showing a little empathy for what has become a pretty ****** and seemingly never-ending thing with this guy. If you can't see his situation as anything beyond an opportunity to make some badly-crafted jokes then I feel sorry for you.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I seriously/sincerely/nothing mean-spirited meant by it, wonder how long Bennett has mentally. This has got to be so draining on him. I hope he can fight through all of it and get to a point where he gets past the injury situation and just plays.

I've wondered this before and you've got to figure he's in a bad place with this. It's a never ending stream of **** and he doesn't have a history to fall back on because it's been going on for so long since he was drafted. Something will give, either a really bad injury or the mental aspect will be broken. He knows it's a serious problem and his future depends on it.

More than anything he needs to put a healthy stretch together and I don't even care if that happens in the AHL or the 4th line at this point, he just needs to have a healthy stretch for his own good.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
The money helps. And I'm not "feeling sorry" for anyone.

Just showing a little empathy. If you can't see his situation as anything beyond an opportunity to make some badly-crafted jokes then I feel sorry for you.

From my perspective, I view sports as entertainment.. these guys get paid millions to play hockey, which is ultimately paid by the fans. I think its fine to crack some jokes - that's what sports is all about.. entertainment. Plus, BB's injury saga is so ridiculous how can you not laugh at this point? :biglaugh:

There are a lot worse problems in the world that I'll feel empathy towards than a multi-millionaire 20something athlete who can't stay healthy. Thats the very definition of a first world problem.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Is Bennett a multimillionaire?

Spent time in AHL, was on ELC, etc...

If he is, its only barely...

Not that it factors into my sympathy for the kid.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Right. Because two short paragraphs is proof-positive that I think Beau Bennett's injury saga is the top issue of our time in a world full of **** and misery. That's a hell of a conclusion to leap to. You don't have to be empathetic towards one thing at a time. I know I seem pretty simple much of the time... but I am capable of processing several different concepts at once.

Sports is entertainment. They are also people. Even when we call them "assets."

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014

I doubt it. Even if he had played 100% in the NHL, his current contract is worth $2.7m. AHL salary is at 67k. And that is before taxes, etc., ...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think his problems started when he starred in "Annabelle". Doing movies about a creepy doll doesn't do anything but bring bad luck.

15175828.jpg

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
In all reality the other guys have had situations I feel sorry about. BB while I'm sure its frustrating to him, is fun to joke about exactly because they aren't serious things. I'd take a contract like his to hang around the NHL and basically rehab all the time. Maatta or Tanger on other hand, not so sure. Even Duper and TV are nothing to joke about. BB will be fine at some point.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I doubt it. He didn't play a full first season in the NHL, he pays taxes and his agent gets a cut. And even if he is it's not something he could live off for the rest of his life.

Anyway, it's sympathetic on a human level. He's in his early twenties and the job he put years of his life into isn't stable, and, you know, suffering is generally sympathetic.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

It's not often you see someone post proof of themselves being wrong.

Even if you give Bennett his full NHL salary (which he didn't get) his first 2 years... you get $1.8mil before taxes, which pares that down even more. Even so, I don't think the fact he makes more money than 99.9% of us here mean we shouldn't feel bad that the kid has factors he can't control keeping him from doing what he can do best to earn a living.

If you cut him, does he not bleed? Metaphor only, please do not actually try this. The kid is suffering enough.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
It's not often you see someone post proof of themselves being wrong.

Even if you give Bennett his full NHL salary (which he didn't get) his first 2 years... you get $1.8mil before taxes, which pares that down even more. Even so, I don't think the fact he makes more money than 99.9% of us here mean we shouldn't feel bad that the kid has factors he can't control keeping him from doing what he can do best to earn a living.

If you cut him, does he not bleed? Metaphor only, please do not actually try this. The kid is suffering enough.

$1.8M.. multimillionaire. Semantics. So I was off by $200K. Sue me.

Feel bad all you want, but I'm not going to feel sorry for a millionaire who made a ton of $ playing about 1/3rd of the games that he should have played. That's just me though.

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
$1.8M.. multimillionaire. So I was off by $200K. Sue me.

Like everyone said, taxes and agent fees take a good chunk of that pie... and you're not even factoring the fact when in WBS he "only" made $67k, less than my manager here at my job.

Excuse us for feeling sorry for a kid who had a gift that could have set him up for life, and brought us joy, and probably not being able to fully cash in on it. Thankfully there's still time for him to buck the trend.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for Beau. I just think the injury/illness/plagues of Egypt he's been dealing with since college is just so unbelievably absurd that all you can really do is laugh at the situation. Not at Bennett, but at the sheer lunacy of the course of his career. And for the record, I think he's injury prone. Nobody gets injured on purpose, and I don't think it has to be a recurring injury to really classify a guy as injury prone. Since his time at Denver, he's missed lengthy chunks of time for a whole slew of issues, whether they're his fault or not makes no difference. He can't stay healthy, it is what it is. It's not a knock against the guy, it's just a reality.

Sure, he's made a substantial amount of money, but that doesn't change the fact that his life-long dream of being an NHL player is teetering on the edge of ending before it even really started. I don't think a guy makes it to the NHL level without the kind of drive and determination for success that border on obsession. Yes, the money is unbelievably great for essentially working out and playing a game, but he's spent a good 18+ years of his life dedicated to the game and focused on making the dream a reality. For him to have to deal with all of this crap that is out of his control has got to take a significant toll on him mentally and emotionally. You have to feel for the human wearing the jersey.

Best of luck to the kid. I hope he can find some way to stay healthy and in the lineup for good when he finally comes back.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Why am I not surprised about the news concerning Bennett? It's almost expected that this would happen.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/status/544598909457539072

According to statement from Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, children who met w/ Beau Bennett who had not received age-appropriate (1/2)

https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/status/544599181114216448

(2/2) doses of mumps vaccine will be placed in isolation and monitored for symptoms of the mumps.

I feel bad for those kids, hopefully they are ok.

With the way mumps are contagious before any symptoms show, I hope other teams decide against visits like this. As great as these are for the kids in question, it seems like a bad idea right now.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
The team, at the mere mention of anything contagious should have seen this coming and locked BB up in a safe room. Fool us once BB, shame on you, fool us twice, well you can't fool us twice. lol ok maybe you can.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
With the way mumps are contagious before any symptoms show, I hope other teams decide against visits like this. As great as these are for the kids in question, it seems like a bad idea right now.

I think they need to test all the kids who met with any of the Penguins. Who knows how many of them actually have it right now. I'm pretty sure its more than just Bennett.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think they need to test all the kids who met with any of the Penguins. Who knows how many of them actually have it right now. I'm pretty sure its more than just Bennett.

This. There's no way of knowing which Penguins are infected so assume all of them were. Crosby was with the team through most of the contagious period and other Penguins have probably been doing the same thing now.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if some other Penguins will get, if they don't have it already. Also won't be surprised if the mumps issue will continue until the playoffs across the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad